New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Have to agree with Focus/Elantra.

The Yen is unusually strong this time around and it is hurting their exports as everything increases.

The Civic is a really ugly IMO. No offense to people who like it though.

The Focus Hatch and Elantra would really whoop its rear in the looks and tech department.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    The Special Edition has so many features that make it comparable to other premium brands like Subaru. In my opinion, it's the best value for money among Japanese & Korean compact sedans in the market today.

/ i-VTEC
    / Rear Back-up Camera
    / Bluetooth Hands Free Tel. system
    / VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist)
    / Cruise Control
    / Fog Lamps
    / 16" Alloy Wheels
    / ECON BUTTON
    / ECO ASSIST SYSTEM
    / i-MID
    / Dual SRS
    / ABS
    / 60:40 RR Seats
    / Leather Steering Wheel
    / Tweeter
    / Headlight Adjuster

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    civic pa din despite the not so glowing reviews. value for money/best buy civic pa din subok na matibay yan kahit 4 years above parang bnew pa din . or Lancer ex GTA. the ford is impressive on paper and on the road i would assume. ford yan e. reliability/longevity is still suspect. after all of the novelty of the gizmos has worn off (focus) civic pa din ako.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    I'll go for the Focus this time..I watched the park assist mode of the focus and deym! Yun pa lang panalo na

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by powerloord View Post
    The Special Edition has so many features that make it comparable to other premium brands like Subaru. In my opinion, it's the best value for money among Japanese & Korean compact sedans in the market today.

/ i-VTEC
    / Rear Back-up Camera
    / Bluetooth Hands Free Tel. system
    / VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist)
    / Cruise Control
    / Fog Lamps
    / 16" Alloy Wheels
    / ECON BUTTON
    / ECO ASSIST SYSTEM
    / i-MID
    / Dual SRS
    / ABS
    / 60:40 RR Seats
    / Leather Steering Wheel
    / Tweeter
    / Headlight Adjuster
    Except that at 1,074,000, it's priced too close to the TOTL compacts (Lancer EX GT-A, Altis 2.0V, etc) that have more powerful engines and are feature packed as well.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Ambiente:
    1.6L 5MT/6PS AT
    1.6L engine 125hp, All power amenities, Dual airbags, ABS, Anti theft system, EPS, 4w disc brakes, 16" wheel covers, 205/60R16 Michellin Primacy, 4 speakers. Ambiente 6PS AT adds: EBD, Hill launch assist, ESP

Got that from Focus' brochures.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    for me the "Made in Japan" build quality is what set it apart from the competition (just like the Lancer EX when it first arrived "Made in Japan").

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Except that at 1,074,000, it's priced too close to the TOTL compacts (Lancer EX GT-A, Altis 2.0V, etc) that have more powerful engines and are feature packed as well.
    for me the "Made in Japan" build quality is what set it apart from the competition (just like the Lancer EX when it first arrived "Made in Japan").

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by powerloord View Post
    That depends if you buy the whole "made in Japan" thing. They say that the doors of the Civic 1.8 EXi close more solidly than that of the Thai 2.0 EL, but honestly, I don't really mind.

Stuff the EXi has that the 2.0 EL doesn't:

1. VSA
    2. Rear backup camera
    3. 2nd row center ELR seatbelt
    4. Bluetooth
    5. Cruise control
    6. 60/40 split-folding seats
    7. Japan CBU OH YEAH BAYBEH

In exchange, the 2.0 EL has these over the 1.8 EXi:

1. More powerful engine (155 HP R20 vs 141 HP R18)
    2. Larger rims, better tires
    3. HID with auto leveling
    4. Leather seats
    5. Automatic climate control

Yeah there's a 70k price difference but the engine and rims alone off set that cost already. The only compelling features on the EXi that I sorely wish the 2.0 EL had are the split-folding rear seats and VSA. I find cruise control useless in the country, and rear backup cameras are less intuitive to use for me than just plain parking sensors (which sadly, the 2.0 EL still doesn't have).

Comparisons with other TOTL compacts will bear similar results - the Civic will have a weaker engine and the competitor will have its own share of toys that the Civic doesn't have. So it's really a matter of personal taste and what you prioritize in the car.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Japan CBU is overhyped. All you get is paying more for a car made in a country with much higher wages but not necessarily higher quality. Its like Swiss watches VS Japanese watches hahaha...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Best buy - Honda 1.8s at or ford focus 1.6 hb ambiente 6ps?