New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Need your help and expert opinions.

What's the best budget (ie <1.2M) SUV in the market today?

in terms of:
    1. Fuel Economy.
    2. Looks.
    3. Ride.
    4. Performance.

Thanks a lot.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I would say the Hyundai Tucson for less than P1.2M since you get a nice diesel engine, a nice comfortable ride and a pretty spacious 3rd row for cargo. That is if you want strictly SUV with a price strictly less than P1.2M

3. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    I would say the Hyundai Tucson for less than P1.2M since you get a nice diesel engine, a nice comfortable ride and a pretty spacious 3rd row for cargo. That is if you want strictly SUV with a price strictly less than P1.2M
    How would that compare to Kia Sportage, Nissan X-Trail, Mazda Tribute, Ford Escape? (or if we increase budget to 1.3M then also Honda CRV or Suzuki Grand Vitara? [SIZE=1](hehe sorry if I made the list a little bit longer.)[/SIZE])

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Ah now if you increase it to P1.3M CR-V na ako this is one of the smoothest SUV in the market right now since its a Civic based crossover. I normally favor diesel in SUV's though because of the torque (which is IMO more important than horses for SUV's) and better fuel economy. I will let others add to the discussion how all those stack up. Personalky and thgis is only my opinion I would cross out the Mazda Tribute and Ford Escape since malakas sa gas. X-trail naman luma na sobra. So para sakin its either CR-V (my pick) for its smooth ride, Hyundia Tucson for its fruaglity and Sportage more or less the same with Tucson since pareho namang may CRDi option.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    I normally favor diesel in SUV's though because of the torque (which is IMO more important than horses for SUV's) and better fuel economy.
    Too bad, then, that the CR-V 2.2L i-CTDI variant isn't being offered here at present.

But if it were, it might not qualify as a budget option at almost 1.5M plus tax.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; November 18th, 2008 at 06:58 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    at 1.2M < budget, ilan lang ang pasok?

a) Escape
    b) Tucson
    c) X-Trail

among the three choices, i would go for the Tucson CDRi. no more explanations needed, its a CRDi.....

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    at 1.2M < budget, ilan lang ang pasok?

a) Escape
    b) Tucson
    c) X-Trail

among the three choices, i would go for the Tucson CDRi. no more explanations needed, its a CRDi.....
    Thanks for the reply.

Pasensya na, I'm no car expert but to me the benefit for CRDi is just that it's diesel therefore more economical. Please educate me what else does CRDi bring as benefit besides that. Thanks again.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bino rocha View Post
    how about avanza? its not SUV though...

1. Fuel Economy.-ok
    2. Looks. pwede na
    3. Ride. pwede na din
    4. Performance. -ok

meron ka pang sukli....

Nah...the best budget SUV in the market today is the Suzuki Jimny!

-fuel economy? 8 to 10km/L for a for a 1.3L gasoline engine
    -looks? its cute.
    -ride? wallowy on roads; pretty decent off it.
    -performance? what a true SUV should be....4WD, can tackle any driving conditions, etc...

For a price of less than 800,000 thousand.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gizzzo View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Pasensya na, I'm no car expert but to me the benefit for CRDi is just that it's diesel therefore more economical. Please educate me what else does CRDi bring as benefit besides that. Thanks again.
    TORQUE AND LOTS OF IT! Torque is the pulling power of a car. So its good for hauling and its also good from rocketing away from the stop light since at a low revs as low as 2000RPM a lot of torque already kicks in while your gas counterparts have to rev higher.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gizzzo View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

at today's diesel price, wala na ako nakikita advantage ang crdi

crdi engines need more engine oil. I spend almost 4k every PMS on my SF.

my 9 yr old 1st gen crv costs only 2.4K per PMS, honda casa pa din yan. (I stopped having it serviced sa servitek and other 3rd party, trust me walang HOnda service checklist ang mga ito, sisirain lang nila oto mo in the long run)

I average 8km/liter on my A/T Santa Fe at 39.xx diesel/liter
    I average 8km/liter on my M/T CRV at 41.xx e10/liter

go figure ...

if I were you, I'd buy the 4x2 crv. best deal there is at 1.3M budget.

cross-out the sportage too. that's one expensive underdog CRV. sayang lang investment.

the escape is a good choice kung tutoo yun 900K na price nya ngaun. i believe this is also M/T, baka maka-reach ka din ng 6-7km/liter dito. Ford's got good CASA service here. we also own a ford vehicle.

x-trail never crossed my mind.

tucson, well dami ata tinanggal na features dito.
    Last edited by Gen. Miting; November 19th, 2008 at 09:18 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast