New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Hi Guys, would appreciate your opinions on this. I know the 2 cars have been discussed before but not head to head exclusively and not in base trim for both. No other trim level, model, or brands please due to my brand bias and limited budget.

Considerarions:

1. Reliability and durability
    1.5 Price (I think XV comes out cheaper by a bit)
    2. Sporty handling yet reasonably comfortable ride. Firm suspension is ok but reasonably comfortble (I currently drive a focus)
    3. Flood fording capability (better than Focus at least)
    4. Fuel economy (I currently get 6.5ish km/l with Focus rush hour driving).
    5. Operating/ maintenance cost

This will be my daily urban ride with occasional out of town runs.

Watcha guys think?

2. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by senoritoblx View Post
    Hi Guys, would appreciate your opinions on this. I know the 2 cars have been discussed before but not head to head exclusively and not in base trim for both. No other trim level, model, or brands please due to my brand bias and limited budget.

Considerarions:

1. Reliability and durability = Same
    1.5 Price (I think XV comes out cheaper by a bit) = XV Wins
    2. Sporty handling yet reasonably comfortable ride. Firm suspension is ok but reasonably comfortble (I currently drive a focus) = XV Wins
    3. Flood fording capability (better than Focus at least) = XV ground clearance is 8.9 inches Rav is 7 inches
    4. Fuel economy (I currently get 6.5ish km/l with Focus rush hour driving). = same
    5. Operating/ maintenance cost = Rav4 wins

This will be my daily urban ride with occasional out of town runs.

Watcha guys think?
    For looks XV wins.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    TS, have you paid a visit to the showrooms and gotten some seat time? Or perhaps contacted some friends and gotten some drive time (not sure if casas have test units for your choices)? This might also help you with the subjective part of the decision, considering they seem quite evenly matched. "Which feels better to you?" is often the deal breaker or the game changer. If you'd done this, has any of the 2 called out to you more?

Some subjective niggles from me, that you may or may not consider:
    - The RAV4's black bumpers make them look low-end. I've seen a unit with body-colored bumpers and it looked better.
    - Was initially not a fan of the snowflake rims of the XV. It's growing on me, but still taking time.
    - I don't suppose space is too much of an issue?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Not to mention that the XV is AWD already unlike the base model Rav4 which comes as FWD. Subaru's new CVT also proves to be fuel efficient.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Not to mention that the XV is AWD already unlike the base model Rav4 which comes as FWD. Subaru's new CVT also proves to be fuel efficient.
    Also consider that Subaru's warranty is only 3 years or 60,000kms unlike Toyota's which extends that to 100,000kms. If you're a heavy user, this can prove to be beneficial in the long run.

Given the slight price difference, you might also want to consider the CX-5. Their free PMS program i think already bridges the gap between pricing.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Hmmm. Decisions decisions. Sat in the XV display unit. Feels nice but smallish. Dint get a chance to sit in the Rav4, two dealers I visited didn't have display units. Will check other dealers. Hope they allow test drives

7. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    I'd go for the Rav 4. The XV looks "bitin". It's a small cross-over which I feel defeats the purpose of getting such a vehicle. Rav 4 will be more flexible when you might need to ford through a flood

8. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Between the two, I'd go for the Rav4 if I needed the space. If I'll be mostly driving by myself, I'd get the XV. Although the XV does feel small when you're coming from something with generous headroom.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Why not get the Forester 2.0L NA model instead? It's about the same size as the Rav4 but with the features of a Subaru.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    I have the base XV. It's really a compact hatchback on stilts. Nothing wrong with that, but it's probably not that much roomier than your focus. Regardless, we've been totally happy with it. Fuel economy has been great, too. 10km/L average mixed hiway and city.

So if space is a large consideration, you should probably be looking at the new forester, which last I checked is almost the same price as the XV.

Can't say much about the Rav4.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Base Model Subaru XV vs Base Model RAV4