New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    guys, im planning to buy a 2nd hand. could you give me a head to head comparison between the two cars, as to reliability, power, fuel consumption, etc.? thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by conzky
    guys, im planning to buy a 2nd hand. could you give me a head to head comparison between the two cars, as to reliability, power, fuel consumption, etc.? thanks in advance.

corollas should have more available parts in the secondary market.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    power and fuel consumption halos pareho lang yan. reliability, the corolla gets my vote assuming the car's well maintained.

Also, imo, the 95 corolla looks younger than the civic (and than it's successor the ae111)

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    get the corolla 1.6 gli Limited Edition

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Corolla GLi no question. It has just about the same performance as the Civic ESi, but more economical and with way more features like drink holders, split-fold rear seats, center console box, and if you chance upon a late 95 or younger model, there's already a driver's airbag. Also, the ESi's rear windows open only halfway (yuck!) as opposed to the GLi which open almost fully.

To be honest with you, the ESi has a better gearshift and driving position than the GLi. The Civic's engine is also revvier, but the Corolla has more useful torque for everyday driving. Looks wise, the Honda is slicker but the Toyota is more proportioned.

On reliability, both cars should fare excellently, but then again, Toyotas tend to be cheaper and easier to maintain with spare parts available just about everywhere. I also reckon the Corolla's suspension is designed more for our roads, compared to the Civic's sportier setting.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    great stuff! ive been looking at these two cars for a possible purchase. may i ask your expert opinion guys on how these two compare with the 95 lancer glxi? its a possible third option.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I prefer corolla glio over honda... better performance at mas walang kalampag... you can test it.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Given both are in equal condition, the Corolla has aged better then the ESi... and in it's life span it is two years younger then the Esi when the model change was introduced (last model eyar was 1997-98 vs. 1995-1996 of the Esi).

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    This would be interesting. Both are great cars.

For my experience:
    For the Esi, a fairly reliable ride, sportier looks, smoother (but still sporty) suspension, a little pricier to maintain. The power antenna is the extra "toy" it has over the Gli.

For the Gli, also a fairly reliable ride, less sporty looks, more rigid (sportier) suspension, less pricey to maintain.

Granting you find both models in fairly good maintained conditions, I think it would boil down to which design "tingles" you the most.

But for me, I would choose the Esi.

Good luck in your pick!
    Last edited by Autobeat; October 18th, 2006 at 12:11 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    *ahem*

ESi na lang!

but seriously, same age...parehong 95. id pick the ESi.

kung naging 97 pa ang Corolla at TRD version tsaka mas Ok ang Corolla.

the Civic has 4 wheel double wishbone suspension instead of the 4 wheel struts of the Corolla. thus, the Corolla feels bouncy but more solid than the Civic. but the Civic aces the handling deportment and feels much Ok when it comes to ride. anyway, the Civic isnt also less solid, let's say its compliant. soft in bumps but turns willingly on curves.

WIK, may cupholders ang ESi. in front of the shifter. it does have a split fold bench too. meron pa nga syang center rear armrest na foldable eh. strut type pa yung trunk. so, it does not intrude sa baggage mo. the interior of the Civic is airy too, has low cowl and dash and big windows.

in terms of styling its subjective but i like the way that the Civic has more styling statement than Toyota. it does have:

-slit light headlamps
    -no grille
    -unique door handle
    -rear quarter panel
    -low hood high trunk silhouette
    -also, rear wiper and ducktail spoiler looks more fluidly on its styling.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
95 corolla gli or 95 civic esi