New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    ano nga ba ang konsumo ng mga aforementioned cars na mga iyan bro?
    At best, 8km/l in mixed city and highway na siguro sir. FC is not really a concern as this will only be a back up car, not really planning to use this within Manila and it's horrendous traffic.

To make frugal tsikoteers shake their heads at my choices even more, I plan on getting only the AT version lol

Found this on the the nissan thread:

Quote Originally Posted by normanenoza View Post
    recently logged in 7.2km/liter city driving with aircon ON with my 97 nissan cefiro MT.
    Pero based on my research, mostly 5km/l lang talaga aasahan ko for pure city driving

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    ano nga ba ang konsumo ng mga aforementioned cars na mga iyan bro?
    At best, 8km/l in mixed city and highway na siguro sir. FC is not really a concern as this will only be a back up car, not really planning to use this within Manila and it's horrendous traffic.

To make frugal tsikoteers shake their heads at my choices even more, I plan on getting only the AT version lol

Found this on the the nissan thread:

Quote Originally Posted by normanenoza View Post
    recently logged in 7.2km/liter city driving with aircon ON with my 97 nissan cefiro MT.
    Pero based on my research, mostly 5km/l lang talaga aasahan ko for pure city driving

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ^ well, altogether there's not much of a difference (consumption wise) from my 2.0 a/t ride in the bruising manila traffic

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'd still recommend the Accord over the Cefiro. Too many friends have had faulty Cefiros, but noone with a wonky 6th gen Accord.

Drives like a dream too especially once you're past 5,000 rpm. The 2.3 only does about 4-5 km/L, but it brings a lot of smiles despite its age.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by keto View Post
    Sir egan, would you happen to know what the difference between the MVUC is? Based on what I remember from ClubCorona, 95 and below models were around 3k while for 96 models and up were around 6k.

Looking at 2001 models and up on olx, asking prices range from 180k up. Now considering MVUC difference is let's say 3k, that's 15k already if I plan to keep the car for at least 5 years. That already offsets the higher asking price for the slightly newer car a bit.
    Midsize model cars from 96-98 have an MVUC of 4800 while 99-00 are charged 6000. This does not include all the other fees that LTO charges and the cost of CTPL. Starting 2001, the MVUC is 3600 for all cars tagged under the medium category. The two most recent Altis generations are already classified under medium, as well as the TOTL models of current compact cars. With my 6th gen Accord (model year 2001), my annual cost of registration plus CTPL is around 5500.

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I'd still recommend the Accord over the Cefiro. Too many friends have had faulty Cefiros, but noone with a wonky 6th gen Accord.

Drives like a dream too especially once you're past 5,000 rpm. The 2.3 only does about 4-5 km/L, but it brings a lot of smiles despite its age.
    The newer A32s (00-02) had a lot of electronic gadgets and they get worn out over the years. The older gadget tech will become useless for the used car buyer. However, a base model with less electronics was released during that time which is a better alternative to the Brougham models which are filled with a lot of creature comforts but old and maybe non-functioning electronic gadgets already.

My old 6th gen Accord VTi-L (F23, 2.3L AT) was fun to drive. Get the VTEC up at 3500 rpm and 5000 rpm and you'll be smiling how it just goes. It was light for its size and it had good natural grip. The double wishbone front & rear suspension adds more to its handling capabilities. Braking is good also. I was able to get around 5-6 km/L running on 95RON fuel with 225/45/R17 tires on my Sucat-Makati-BGC daily route. 91RON or 93RON is good for city driving but lacks oomph on the highway.
    Last edited by Egan101; April 15th, 2015 at 11:55 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    After seeing how low A32 cefiros are being sold, I think this has become my top choice. This is probably the most undervalued car model I've seen, and I bet that v6 engine and the FC has a lot to do with it.

Not really into bling-bling anymore, I think I've outgrown that phase too fast lol. I am going to keep it bonestock, except for the sounds maybe.

From a driver's point of view, how would this car rate? I would be the driver 95% of the time.
    The Cefiro is more of a cruiser, much like the Camry. It is aimed more for comfort. It is best experienced from the rear. More like the boring drive compared to the sporty nature of the Accord or Mazda6. On the highways though, you'd be surprised how suppressed the outside noise is handled, even if you are travelling at triple digit speeds. On the 6th gen Accord, you can hear the outside noise and it can get irritating if you have have noisy tires or it's raining hard.

6. Join Date
    May 2010

My main objective for getting this second car is to move my family around in long trips comfortably, and the executive sedan styled cefiro and camry seem to meet this objective more than the sport oriented accord or galant. A MPV /CUV is out of the question because of budget considerations and I find the ride quality really harsh. We go home to Bulacan from Cavite several times a month and I am hoping to make the trip more comfortable for my passengers as well as myself who will be doing most of the driving lol.

The more info I get, the more I am leaning towards the Cefiro / Camry. Will be looking at a few cars soon, thank you gentlemen for helping me narrow down my choices. Now the new challenge is to find a base model Cefiro or Camry. As sir Egan said decades old electronics are something I should be avoiding which is something I also learned from personal experience.

My main objective for getting this second car is to move my family around in long trips comfortably, and the executive sedan styled cefiro and camry seem to meet this objective more than the sport oriented accord or galant. A MPV /CUV is out of the question because of budget considerations and I find the ride quality really harsh. We go home to Bulacan from Cavite several times a month and I am hoping to make the trip more comfortable for my passengers as well as myself who will be doing most of the driving lol.

The more info I get, the more I am leaning towards the Cefiro / Camry. Will be looking at a few cars soon, thank you gentlemen for helping me narrow down my choices. Now the new challenge is to find a base model Cefiro or Camry. As sir Egan said decades old electronics are something I should be avoiding which is something I also learned from personal experience.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2014
    I'm currently in the market for a second hand car to be used mainly as a coding vehicle and for out of town trips. Currently looking at mid to late 90s mid sized sedans for the following reasons:

1. Fits my budget of 150k ish
    2. Ride comfort, both for the driver and passenger
    3. Legroom

My current choices are the XV20 Camry and the Fifth Gen Accord, but I'm also considering the Galant and the Cefiro. I am planning to keep the car for the next 5 years, which of these do you guys think is the better choice considering:

Reliability (granted, these choices are almost two decades old)
    Maintenance cost (including yearly registration cost)
    Availability of replacement parts

First hand experiences and suggestions are welcome
    I would consider the first gen Starex. It is spacious and comfortable for long out of town trips. It is tested reliable with available parts. And its a relatively frugal diesel.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    90's mid size was dominated by the Accord Vtec. Cant go wrong with it. Ride quality is excellent.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006

I think the base model Cefiro is tagged as "Elite" while the more luxurious model is the "Brougham". If you can get your hands on the A33 model (2003-2006) at a bargain price, it is a better deal. It has a sleeker design and a retuned VQ20 engine (more power). It also has a more executive look. However, despite its boxy appearance, the A32 has this refined masculine look.

I don't have much information on the Camry as I only know a few folks who had the Camry models during the turn of the century (1998-2002) but I can remember it comes with a 2.2L 4-banger engine. The 2003 Camry model became more popular locally. It came in 3 engine options (2.0L 4-cylinder, 2.4L 4-cylinder, 3.0L V6). The 2003 model was bigger than its previous generation, which was smaller and much like the 6th gen Accord in dimensions.
    Last edited by Egan101; April 16th, 2015 at 11:12 AM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008

topgear magazine has a regular column on older cars.. if you can get these.. i vaguely remember the early cefiro, the not-so-old accord, but not sure of the camry..
    the 90s accord... i find its passenger amenities "too small", considering it is supposed to be a midsized..
    i find the late 90s cefiro and camry, as the more handsome ones for me..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast