New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    I'm currently in the market for a second hand car to be used mainly as a coding vehicle and for out of town trips. Currently looking at mid to late 90s mid sized sedans for the following reasons:

1. Fits my budget of 150k ish
    2. Ride comfort, both for the driver and passenger
    3. Legroom

My current choices are the XV20 Camry and the Fifth Gen Accord, but I'm also considering the Galant and the Cefiro. I am planning to keep the car for the next 5 years, which of these do you guys think is the better choice considering:

Reliability (granted, these choices are almost two decades old)
    Maintenance cost (including yearly registration cost)
    Availability of replacement parts

First hand experiences and suggestions are welcome

2. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    You forgot to mention kung ano ending plates gusto mo bro... Malay mo meron dyan sa tabitabi na balak magtinda.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    For power, get the v6 galant with the 6a12 engine and manual tranny. I once owned one, sarap i hataw walang bitin.

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jodski View Post
    You forgot to mention kung ano ending plates gusto mo bro... Malay mo meron dyan sa tabitabi na balak magtinda.
    Point taken sir, pero I am hoping this thread will serve more as an advice column. I would still consider it if someone makes an offer here though, I prefer a Monday coding car but anything except 5 or 6 will do

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jodski View Post
    Point taken sir, pero I am hoping this thread will serve more as an advice column. I would still consider it if someone makes an offer here though, I prefer a Monday coding car but anything except 5 or 6 will do

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Please take note that the LTO MVUC cost of midsize cars from 1996-2000 is quite high. It is better to look for something dated 2001 or newer as LTO lowered its MVUC cost. Model 1995 might be a bit old already though midsize cars have better suspension compared to compacts. You can get yourself a 2001-2003 midsize with a 150k budget as they are priced lower than compacts. Also, midsizers are not really close to compacts to fuel efficiency but they are more comfortable plus the available power is a bonus.

I would suggest a 6th gen Accord (98-02) as it strikes a good balance between comfort, handling, power, and looks. I used to own one and I have a good experience with it. It is the handling that I miss on it. A 1300kg weight makes it just as heavy as the current crop of compacts but with more power. Just had to let go of it as we need the extra garage space and also lessen the number of cars to maintain. Go for the 2.3L model (F23 SOHC VTEC) as it offers a better power-to-weight ratio. Give it 17" or 18" wheels and you're good to go. The major pain points though are the leaking power steering system and a sliding transmission (AT models) which is common for Honda model cars before the turn of the century. Maintenance is easy as it is more mechanical than the newer crop of Hondas.
    Last edited by Egan101; April 14th, 2015 at 12:05 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If you want to be driven around, get a Cefiro as it is better to be sitting on the rear than driving it. Power is good with its 2.0L V6 (VQ20) plus it is really quiet. However, fuel efficiency is not that good. It absorbs bumps and road imperfections easily. Outside noise insulation is also very good. Both the A32 (97-02) and A33 (03-07) are priced really low in the resale market, a stigma of sorts for Nissan cars of that era. There were a lot of folks who adored their Cefiros back in the days of NB. The 6th gen Accord may have an edge in handling but road noise can be heard inside (newer Accords are better in road noise insulation) and the suspension is stiffer. The Cefiro trumps the Accord in ride comfort. You can also bling the hell out of a Cefiro. There are a lot of Cefiros in BF Homes with those bling 19" wheels and flashy paint jobs.

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Please take note that the LTO MVUC cost of midsize cars from 1996-2000 is quite high. It is better to look for something dated 2001 or newer as LTO lowered its MVUC cost. Model 1995 might be a bit old already though midsize cars have better suspension compared to compacts. You can get yourself a 2001-2003 midsize with a 150k budget as they are priced lower than compacts. Also, midsizers are not really close to compacts to fuel efficiency but they are more comfortable plus the available power is a bonus.

I would suggest a 6th gen Accord (98-02) as it strikes a good balance between comfort, handling, power, and looks. I used to own one and I have a good experience with it. It is the handling that I miss on it. A 1300kg weight makes it just as heavy as the current crop of compacts but with more power. Just had to let go of it as we need the extra garage space and also lessen the number of cars to maintain. Go for the 2.3L model (F23 SOHC VTEC) as it offers a better power-to-weight ratio. Give it 17" or 18" wheels and you're good to go. The major pain points though are the leaking power steering system and a sliding transmission (AT models) which is common for Honda model cars before the turn of the century. Maintenance is easy as it is more mechanical than the newer crop of Hondas.
    Sir egan, would you happen to know what the difference between the MVUC is? Based on what I remember from ClubCorona, 95 and below models were around 3k while for 96 models and up were around 6k.

Looking at 2001 models and up on olx, asking prices range from 180k up. Now considering MVUC difference is let's say 3k, that's 15k already if I plan to keep the car for at least 5 years. That already offsets the higher asking price for the slightly newer car a bit.
    Last edited by keto; April 14th, 2015 at 10:46 PM. Reason: double post

8. Join Date
    May 2010
    double post
    Last edited by keto; April 14th, 2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: double post

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ano nga ba ang konsumo ng mga aforementioned cars na mga iyan bro?

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    If you want to be driven around, get a Cefiro as it is better to be sitting on the rear than driving it. Power is good with its 2.0L V6 (VQ20) plus it is really quiet. However, fuel efficiency is not that good. It absorbs bumps and road imperfections easily. Outside noise insulation is also very good. Both the A32 (97-02) and A33 (03-07) are priced really low in the resale market, a stigma of sorts for Nissan cars of that era. There were a lot of folks who adored their Cefiros back in the days of NB. The 6th gen Accord may have an edge in handling but road noise can be heard inside (newer Accords are better in road noise insulation) and the suspension is stiffer. The Cefiro trumps the Accord in ride comfort. You can also bling the hell out of a Cefiro. There are a lot of Cefiros in BF Homes with those bling 19" wheels and flashy paint jobs.
    After seeing how low A32 cefiros are being sold, I think this has become my top choice. This is probably the most undervalued car model I've seen, and I bet that v6 engine and the FC has a lot to do with it.

Not really into bling-bling anymore, I think I've outgrown that phase too fast lol. I am going to keep it bonestock, except for the sounds maybe.

From a driver's point of view, how would this car rate? I would be the driver 95% of the time.
    Last edited by keto; April 14th, 2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: double

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast