New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Whats your take on these models guys? I wanted to get the Hilux initially but the E variant had steel rims and no rear bumper * 1.033M. The Nissan was a lot more dressed up * 1.075M and had a stronger engine. I also felt that I could get a better deal at the Nissan dealership compared to the Toyota. The Hilux G variant was nice but the price difference was too much (more than 1.2M already).

Would the Nissan be more expensive in the long run? Would parts be harder to find?
    For the Hilux, lets say I go with the E variant, is it possible to change to stock alloy rims and add in a read bumper and still remain below 1.1M?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

I think the Nissan has a coil spring rear. Not that robust in carrying heavy cargo.

With the hi-lux you can easily buy original Toyota alloy wheels outside the dealer (madami sa OLX), then choose the tyre combination that you want to go with it. ARB and Iron Man sell aftermarket steel bumpers, which in my opinion is more durable than the stock bumpers.

Toyota is a bit stingy on options though (re: creature comforts).

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nissans are quite reliable per my experience. Ride will be more comfortable too given the rear coils.

For the Hilux, you'll spend around 35K for a slightly used set of OEM G rims and tyres, maybe another 8K for a stepboard and 9K for a OEM rear bumper (you'll have to source these second hand; you can check the shops that do off-road set-ups for customers who want to unload their stock parts).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    *lowlowbenz & vinj- thanks for the quick replies. hmm so it seems that i can get the hilux with alloy tires, step boards and a rear bumper for around the same price as the navarra. Any feedback on the the engine? Will the 2.4L be okay or will it be underpowered? I feel that the Toyota is the more practical choice but the Nissan also looks really good! Any other feedback on pickups from other brands below 1.1M?

Last thing- Any idea why Toyota put a bigger engine on the new Innova? I was able to drive one last week and the 2.8L engine felt a lot more powerful than the previous one.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ^

Engine power will be adequate on either of the brands that you will choose.

I have a 2016 Strada GL 4x4 MT. It came with the previous 4D56 engine powering the older Montero Sport. Does the job if you ask me.

The price is 1.125M, a wee bit off your budget.

BUT .....

You get 4x4 advantage.

Last edited by lowslowbenz; October 7th, 2016 at 05:15 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My daily drive now is a 2.4E Hilux. No issues on power and efficiency is bet 9.5-10.5 in city traffic. 8.5 in really bad city traffic. 12-14 highway (depending on your right foot). The vehicle is long though so best to have a rear sensor installed too.

As for the Innova, i'm not sure why but having the 2.8L variant is indeed sweet in my books.

Best to test drive both Navara and Hilux to see what suits your needs better. I'm guessing the Navara will have an edge in overall comfort while the Hilux is more utilitarian if that's your requirement.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    My daily drive now is a 2.4E Hilux. No issues on power and efficiency is bet 9.5-10.5 in city traffic. 8.5 in really bad city traffic. 12-14 highway (depending on your right foot). The vehicle is long though so best to have a rear sensor installed too.

As for the Innova, i'm not sure why but having the 2.8L variant is indeed sweet in my books.

Best to test drive both Navara and Hilux to see what suits your needs better. I'm guessing the Navara will have an edge in overall comfort while the Hilux is more utilitarian if that's your requirement.
    Meron din rev matching tranny ang e variant diba? Based on reviews.. this is probably the best mt.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Meron din rev matching tranny ang e variant diba? Based on reviews.. this is probably the best mt.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    The i-m/t function is on the 4x4 model (not sure about the G variant). It has the sport/eco modes though, which adjusts throttle sensitivity.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Hehe I'm not too keen on getting a 4x4 since the vehicle will be in the city 99% of the time I'm sure. For the Strada, is the GLX a completely different vehicle from the GL? or did they just add some accessories? Price gap seems to be huge between the two

Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    ^

Engine power will be adequate on either of the brands that you will choose.

I have a 2016 Strada GL 4x4 MT. It came with the previous 4D56 engine powering the older Montero Sport. Does the job if you ask me.

The price is 1.125M, a wee bit off your budget.

BUT .....

You get 4x4 advantage.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    thanks for the feedback vinj! Any chance you have photos of your Hilux? Did you replace the stock rims and add the bumper and stepper?

Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast