New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I've owned a lynx Gsi MT for 2 months now and so far wala namang headaches. Walang problema except high gas prices.

Regarding fuel consumption, I make 8.5 to 9 km/l city driving and 13 km/l highway. Mas matipid pa kesa sa dati kong '94 Sentra LEC

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    True, kung fuel savings, definitely go for the MT GSi over the Sentra FE (this is coming from a former FE owner... and STA owner).

The STA is nice... I do believe it's one of the slowest EFI 1.6 ATs of its time, though.

At this point, those cars are five years old. The beige leather gets scratched and marked easily, and the trim is lightweight... so it can get rattly and or come loose if the previous owner wasn't careful with it. The 12 CD player doesn't have very good shock absorption, and if it was used a lot, should skip like heck by now. BUT if you find one in excellent condition, though, go for it... there's nothing that compares to the borloloi of the STA in that price class.

The FE was a good car to us, fun to drive, zippy engine (entertaining, but slow), light body. But almost no amenities, no alarm, no ABS, no airbags, no radio (as stock)... so unless you're getting it for peanuts, forget it. No major headaches with it, but the carb needs cleaning every now and then... and it's not very economical for a 1.3 (drinks like a 1.5 or 1.6).

Having driven the old Sentra and the Lynx, I can tell you that the GSi will give you much more fun on the handling end, though the FE is no slouch. But as its slower, has no power anything (except steering) and isn't any more economical, I'd go for the GSi.

A secondhand Ghia would be a good match for the STA, but I don't know if the older Ghia models had the rear sunshades yet. The STA's rear sunshades and AC make it a virtual refrigerator.
    Last edited by niky; February 10th, 2006 at 12:21 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Quote Originally Posted by reuelc
    Im planning to buy a ford lynx gsi 2000-01 model. I saw it ranges from 240 to 280 in the market. I heard this model are hard to maintain... is it true? And I also saw in one of the news that Ford will stop making Lynx in the Philippines... does this have an effect? your inputs are appreciated.
    A 2000 model is just 280K? Grabe ang baba ng resale value pala ng Ford Lynx. I think you have to factor this in coz may plans ka ba to upgrade in the future? Baka after another 3-5 years sobrang baba na ng resale value. I don't think you can get a honda or toyota sa ganitong price/year range no? Hindi ba kaya sa 280K ang civic 98-99?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Niky - "A secondhand Ghia would be a good match for the STA, but I don't know if the older Ghia models had the rear sunshades yet. The STA's rear sunshades and AC make it a virtual refrigerator."

The 2001 Ghia already has the rear sunshade, AC's good even after more than 4 years usage.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    The ford lynx is a very good second hand car to buy!!

Very cheap price for a relatively new car. I owned a brand new 1999 Lynx ghia but I sold it already since I upgraded to a different car. Swerte yung makakabili ng LYNX in good condition. It is easy to maintain and parts are abundant in banawe FORDLAND. There are even replacement parts that are very cheap.

The only thing that is expensive on the LYNX is the MAF. Anyway, sa lahat naman ng kotse, mahal ang MAF part. (Mass Airflow Sensor)

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    True, kung fuel savings, definitely go for the MT GSi over the Sentra FE (this is coming from a former FE owner... and STA owner).

The STA is nice... I do believe it's one of the slowest EFI 1.6 ATs of its time, though.

At this point, those cars are five years old. The beige leather gets scratched and marked easily, and the trim is lightweight... so it can get rattly and or come loose if the previous owner wasn't careful with it. The 12 CD player doesn't have very good shock absorption, and if it was used a lot, should skip like heck by now. BUT if you find one in excellent condition, though, go for it... there's nothing that compares to the borloloi of the STA in that price class.

The FE was a good car to us, fun to drive, zippy engine (entertaining, but slow), light body. But almost no amenities, no alarm, no ABS, no airbags, no radio (as stock)... so unless you're getting it for peanuts, forget it. No major headaches with it, but the carb needs cleaning every now and then... and it's not very economical for a 1.3 (drinks like a 1.5 or 1.6).

Having driven the old Sentra and the Lynx, I can tell you that the GSi will give you much more fun on the handling end, though the FE is no slouch. But as its slower, has no power anything (except steering) and isn't any more economical, I'd go for the GSi.

A secondhand Ghia would be a good match for the STA, but I don't know if the older Ghia models had the rear sunshades yet. The STA's rear sunshades and AC make it a virtual refrigerator.

Thanks sir niky for enlightening me... now im removing fe from my list.. a few more research and canvassing and i think ill probably go for a lynx

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by garyq
    A 2000 model is just 280K? Grabe ang baba ng resale value pala ng Ford Lynx. I think you have to factor this in coz may plans ka ba to upgrade in the future? Baka after another 3-5 years sobrang baba na ng resale value. I don't think you can get a honda or toyota sa ganitong price/year range no? Hindi ba kaya sa 280K ang civic 98-99?
    Thats what im afraid of now... what if i want to upgrade in the future? baka sobra baba na tlaga ng resale.. in addition to that baka sobra hirap din madispose. In fact the best deal I saw now was only 265k for a lynx 2001 gsi. Less than 40,000k palang tinakbo and mukang tama naman since di pa masyado laspag interior. Our mechanic already checked the unit and it needs only minor repairs. Gusto ko na talaga bilin but im still seeking opinions of others.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Update ko kayo pag nakapagdecide nako and pag nakabili nako.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The thing is after three to five years, all those cars will cost in the realm of 150k, so I don't think there's a need to worry. Many ten year old cars, no matter what their brand, can be bought for 150k to under 200k.

I forgot to add... you don't really buy a secondhand car with view towards selling it anyway. It's always going to be a net loss, especially since when you sell it, it becomes thirdhand.
    Last edited by niky; February 10th, 2006 at 01:07 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    The thing is after three to five years, all those cars will cost in the realm of 150k, so I don't think there's a need to worry. Many ten year old cars, no matter what their brand, can be bought for 150k to under 200k.

I forgot to add... you don't really buy a secondhand car with view towards selling it anyway. It's always going to be a net loss, especially since when you sell it, it becomes thirdhand.
    you have a good point there... let me update you guys soon.

10. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bhongskie636
    I've owned a lynx Gsi MT for 2 months now and so far wala namang headaches. Walang problema except high gas prices.

Regarding fuel consumption, I make 8.5 to 9 km/l city driving and 13 km/l highway. Mas matipid pa kesa sa dati kong '94 Sentra LEC
    did you bought that for 2nd hand? if so how much and how was repairs so far? did you compare consumption to your other cars? thanks

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
2nd hand Ford Lynx still a good buy?