New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Ok ka-tsikot since Truck based SUVs are one of our favorites, lets try to share what we think are the stand-out aspect of each vehicle. Positives only pls!

Candidates:
    1. Ford Everest
    2. Toyota Fortuner
    3. Mitsubishi Montero Sport
    4. Isuzu MU-X
    5. Chevrolet Trailblazer

Instruction:
    For each category below put the top vehicle then explain why.

Category:
    1. 4x2 AT
    2 4x4 AT

Top choice:
    1. Power (includes acceleration, top speed, towing performances)
    2. Safety (includes wading depth, crash ratings, braking performance, security system etc)
    3. Fuel Consumption/efficiency (includes environment emissions)
    4. Space (seating space, cargo space)
    5. Ride comfort
    6. NVH
    7. Handling (includes turning radius, steering tech)
    8. Features (all other aspects like entertainment, suspension tech, drivetrain tech, convenience etc..)
    9. Maintenance cost
    10. Reliability
    11. Interior overall (looks, quality, feel, lights etc..)
    12. Exterior overall (looks, quality, lights etc..)
    13. Price
    14. Parts availability

EXAMPLE:
    Category 4x2 AT
    1. Power - MONTERO due to lightweight and high output engine
    2. Safety - EVEREST with solid body and tons of safety features. Highest wading depth as well.
    3. Fuel consumption/efficiency - MONTERO. Again lightweight and low compression engine. Gained incentives from thailand due to notable NOX emmission
    4. Space - EVEREST. Not only in dimension but I feel by seating inside this offers the most space among the 3.
    5. Ride comfort - MONTERO. although this is the only one I test driven among the 3, I was really impressed. It is close to riding a car. Huge difference from previous gen Montero or Fortuner
    6. NVH - EVEREST. Was able to ride with enginie running during a display. I think the solid body and materials inside insulated noise better than Montero.
    7. Handling - MONTERO. Easier to drive than previous gen. Maybe because that truck feel was less.
    8. Features - MONTERO. I find the features more practical and useful for me.
    9. Maintenance cost - FORTUNER. Well this is hands down Toyota.
    10. Reliability - EVEREST. I agree we need time to assess reliability since Fortuner and Montero are still very fresh
    11. Interior overall (looks, quality, feel, lights etc..) - FORTUNER. The design feels luxurious inside for me and neat as well
    12. Exterior overall (looks, quality, lights etc..) - FORTUNER REAR. MONTERO FRONT.
    13. Price - MONTERO. Since they have been giving at least 100k discounts for the past 4 months or longer I think.
    14. Parts availability - FORTUNER. Again Toyota everywhere.

lets do this

2. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for putting up this thread. Malaking tulong to sa amin na would be first time car buyers. Please keep them coming.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    For me Best in Class features should go hand in hand with price. Better siguro if Best value for money 4x2 and 4x4 SUV. Just my 2 cents lang po.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2016
    I owned Everest Trend model 2017 only, which is 4X2 category, so I can not fully compare the 5 SUV. Kaya this is just my personal views and opinion only, based on my Everest Trend Model. And yung Trailblazer and MU-X natin is pure Journalist and owners review lang ako nagbase.

Lets get started...

1. Power - MONTERO. But I've heard na may Turbo lag Issue. On the other hand, 2.2L on Everest Trend is balance IMO, kasi nga di naman 4X4 kaya di kailangan talaga ang powerful engine.
    2. Safety - EVEREST with solid body and tons of safety features(6 airbags for Trend model). Higher NCAP Rating and Highest wading depth as well.
    3. Fuel consumption/efficiency - MU-X but still, a euro 2 engine. In the Everest Trend model, after 1K odometer reading at 70kph-80kph-110km minimal ups and downs, I got 16.3km/l note that this is computer reading on my dashboard. I will check if I will use the cruise control if it will increase or the other way around for the FC.
    4. Space - EVEREST. Not only in dimension but I feel by seating inside this offers the most space among the 5. Nailed it. Fold all the seat for 2nd and 3rd Row, at lagyan mo ng foam, may room ka na for 5 pax with extra space sa luggage.
    5. Ride comfort - MONTERO, But I'm comfortably enough with my Eve, compared to my Innova 2010 model, di na rin sila nagkakalayo, maliban na lang sa mga pot holes, bale wala kay Eve. Di ko pa na try umupo sa likod pero sabi ng hipag ko, oks naman daw and she is 5'7" in height with medium body build.
    6. NVH - EVEREST. Tahimik nga sa Loob ng Eve, almost parang gasoline engine to compare. With added feature of Noise cancelation, pag tumatakbo ng 80kph, ang maririnig mo lang ng kunti is yung ingay ng gulong pag nadaan ka sa road lights between lanes.
    7. Handling - EVEREST. IMO, with an EPAS steering wheel it is light and easy to drive on tight areas, and auto adjust to light heavy while gaining speed. ABS-EBD, Stability control and 5 links suspension sa likod, minimal na ang body roll * 60kph sa average na kurbada compare to my Innova na magprepreno ka talaga to 40kph para swabe ang kurbada. EPAS na din ang Trailblazer based on their Specs sheet pero di ko pa nadrive.
    8. Features - EVEREST-With that Eve Trend Model. I find the features sulit na sulit compare to others lalo na at mid-variant lang siya. Audio is good with 10 speakers including sub-woofer with the sync 3 HU.
    9. Maintenance cost - FORTUNER. Well this is hands down Toyota. Mas mura singil sa labor and parts sa Toyota. But I hope Ford can cope up, kasi matagal na rin sila dito sa atin.
    10. Reliability - MU-X/EVEREST. I agree we need time to assess reliability since Fortuner and Montero are still very fresh - That's why I choose the Eve between the 5 SUV.
    11. Interior overall (looks, quality, feel, lights etc..) - EVEREST. I find the design modernize and simple yet functional. And if you look over all pang SUV talaga ang dating, which is I like and Leather seat na rin.
    12. Exterior overall (looks, quality, lights etc..) - EVEREST. If you look closely, I like the macho simple design of it. And sa likod di mo nakikita yung spare tire and exhaust natin unless sisilipin mo talaga sa ilalim. While in the other SUV, kitang kita yung spare tire nila.
    13. Price - EVEREST. Trend Model-Sulit na sulit with the added features, which you can find only with other brands on their TOTL model.
    14. Parts availability - FORTUNER. Again Toyota everywhere. Sa out going Fort model for sure, but for the new model, which means new parts also. Tingin ko mas lamang ang Ford kasi nga almost same part sila ng Ranger.

Baka may maidadag pa tayo dyan mga katsikot. Looking forward to read it. Salamat po ng madami.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    For me Best in Class features should go hand in hand with price. Better siguro if Best value for money 4x2 and 4x4 SUV. Just my 2 cents lang po.
    Yup thats why we will try to break down what we are paying for. Hoping we could put a summary parang appendix ng libro

6. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    siuu3ci, heres my 3 cents, specially I was on the same boat as you, and I was leaning on the fortuner, until I was able to test drive them all. Disclosure: After the test drive and a very long time of pondering, I am an Everest 4x2 titanium premium owner

Category 4x2 AT (Everest titanium premium, Monty GLS premium, Fortuner V, MUX LSA 3.0, 2016 Trailblazer LTX).
    1. Power -Trailblazer, followed by Montero, then Everest
    2. Safety - Everest followed by MUX, then Montero, TBZ, then Fortuner (no stability control)
    3. Fuel consumption/efficiency - MUX, then Monty, Fort, Everest, TBZ.
    4. Space - Everest, followed closely by MUX/TBZ (shared platform, although MUX is slightly more spacious due to thinner seats. TBZ/MUX and the Everest has very good 3rd row space due to the recessed floor), then fortuner, and at the tail end, Montero (same seating config, even the 2nd/3rd row fold mechanism is same as the old one. 3rd row is still knee up position).
    5. Ride comfort - Montero, then a close second is the Everest (suffers from low profile tires), MUX, Fortuner/TBZ (From the test drive, MUX slightly better than the Fortuner)
    6. NVH - Everest, beat out the Monty due to active noise cancelling, although Monty's passive NVH seems to be better in my opinion.
    7. Handling - advantage for the newer SUVs, bale Montero, very agile for a truck based SUV and helped by its smaller dimensions, then the Everest, 3rd will be the Fort, then MUX, while TBZ felt I was driving a truck.
    8. Features - Everest, with premium trim, trumps all the other SUVs in its class....... oh, sorry, It does not have push start and active keyless entry of the MUX, Monty and the fort, but all the other features, it has, plus much much more. Then followed by the MUX (it has a 10 inch monitor as well), Montero, Fort, then TBZ.
    9. Maintenance cost - Should be comparable on all SUVs (oil/oil filters, you can check the forums on cost of PMs by these SUVs), but parts availability, I will give it to Everest as its 2 year old platform. I would have given first place to the fort and monty but they are new engines and platform, so their joint second. Third will be MUX. Why third? i have preciously have a crosswind, a tanklike vehicle in terms of reliability, pero nung may nasira, had to wait for a month for the parts....siguro kasi alam nila na matibay kaya di sila nag stock ng parts. lastly, TBZ, so much horror stories on their forum.
    10. Reliability - Everest as its a 2 year old platform. Previous turbo issue on the ranger already rectified with a new one. A close second will be the fort, kasi its a toyota. I would have placed it first, kasi toyota. Alam ko sasabhin nyo di na gaya dati, but due to its long history of reliability, Toyota has established itself as a very reliable brand. Same with the monty, although new engine and platform din kasi. Then MUX/TBZ.
    11. Interior overall (looks, quality, feel, lights etc..) - subjective tong criteria, kasi sa akin Everest, then fort, monty, TBZ, MUX.
    12. Exterior overall (looks, quality, lights etc..) - subjective din, pero sa akin, overall, Everest. Brusko tingnan, classic SUV look. monty and Fort has the futuristic looks. Monty has a good front and side profile, but the bleeding eyes and the chopped rear, I cannot stand. Fort has a good rear and side profile, the front needs some time to get used to, mukha kasing angry bird, hehehe.
    13. Price - MUX, they are still the cheapest, followed by the monty (big discount....meron pa ba), TBZ, Everest, then Fort. Hinuli ko fort kasi sa price to features, kulang na kulang sila. Kung by features ang comparison, ang katapat ng fortuner V ay yung monty GLS at Everest trend, and they are even cheaper by ~200K to 300K
    14. Parts availability - nasingit ko na comment ko sa RELIABILITY portion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    1. Power - MUX 3.0
    2. Safety - Everest Titanium
    3. Fuel Consumption/efficiency - MUX kasi Isuzu
    4. Space - Everest
    5. Ride comfort - Everest = ever + rest
    6. NVH - di ko alam to
    7. Handling - Everest
    8. Features - Everest
    9. Maintenance cost - MUX kasi Japanese
    10. Reliability - MUX kasi Isuzu
    11. Interior overall - Everest kasi gamit nya ang premium instrument panel ng expedition
    12. Exterior overall - Fortuner
    13. Price - Montero kasi yun lang alam ng Mitsu mag-cutthroat competition pag talo na
    14. Parts availability - MUX kasi lahat ng naka-AUV (adventure, tamaraw, crosswind) dati eto pinalit, MASA Crowd

8. Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Category 4x2 AT (Everest titanium premium, Monty GLS premium, Fortuner V, MUX LSA 3.0, 2016 Trailblazer LTX).
    1. Power -Trailblazer, then Montero
    2. Safety - Montero GLS Premium followed by Everest, MU-X, followed by others. last is Fort.
    3. Fuel consumption/efficiency - MUX, Montero, Fort, Everest, TBZ.
    4. Space - Trailblazer followed by MUX, then Everest, then Fortuner. Last is Montero
    5. Ride comfort - Montero, then Everest , MUX, Fortuner, last is Trailblazer
    6. NVH - Montero is my first choice followed by Everest, then Fortuner, then Trailblazer...Last is MU-X.
    7. Handling - Montero again, masarap talagang i-drive...parang class na sedan. then, the Everest, then MUX, 4th is Fort....last is Trailblazer
    8. Features - Montero is still the best in features followed by Everest, then MUX, then Fortuner, last is Trailblazer
    9. Maintenance cost - pare-parehas mahal ang PMS nila..kapag repair naman pinag-usapan.......Fortuner, then Isuzue, Followed by Montero..
    10. Reliability - MU-X and Fortuner for first place....norrow second ang Montero...then tabla sa last place ang Everest and Trailblazer. may nabasa akong thread na madalas daw masira ang Ford.
    11. Interior overall (looks, quality, feel, lights etc..) - Montero (GLS Premium) first, followed by Fortuner V, then Everest Trend, Trailblazer, last ang MUX.
    12. Exterior overall (looks, quality, lights etc..) - overall exterior design, Montero. followed by Everest, then Fortuner, then Trailblazer, last ang Mu-X.
    13. Price - Montero and first choice ko because bagong engine ang 4N15 so dapat mahal sya. Best value for money and GLS Premium (power and fuel consumption considered), followed by MUX, they are still the cheapest,pero luma na raw kasi ang engine nito. mura sya dahil din kasi sa kasimplehan ng loob nito (though marami syang features), 3rd is Everest.....then Fortuner.....last is TBZ
    14. Parts availability - Fortuner for the no. 1 spot....followed by Isuzu, then Montero. last both ang Everest and Trailblazer.

* Muntik na akong bumili ng MU-X....Nagbago ang isip ko lately because hindi lang kasi dapat mura. if you have extra sa pocket, bilhin mo na yung best SUV for you and your family.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    baka nagbago ng features ang mga 2017, but for reference nalang.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast