New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Hi folks,

I posted similar thread (2016 models) about 1 year ago and I think the Fortuner got a slight nod fro the posters.

Some things changed since then. The 2018 MU-X got a more powerful 6 speed engine, 18" rim, improved interior and knitted leather seats, while the 2018 Fortuner got rear disc brakes (used to be drum), LED foglights, etc.

Here are my thoughts as of this point:

Advantages of the Toyota Fortuner:
    Excellent seat configuration. The 2nd row seats can be moved forward and backward, while the 3rd row seat can be reclined.
    Ample feet room in 3rd row seat
    Heavier (curb weight), slight advantage for safety during collision
    High resale value
    Excellent after sales support
    Availability of parts

Advantages of Isuzu MU-X
    I heard better power (WHP and WTQ) and handling (than Fortuner)?
    Spacious inside
    More economical
    Better overall looks (especially with the 18" rim)
    Slightly higher ground clearance (at 230 mm vs 225)

I need inputs especially from those who actually own the units, please do not tell me to "...follow my heart because it is my hard earned money, etc..."..I know it is my money and if I am confident with what I know, I will not ask questions here. I wanna hear your opinion on which is the better choice and why.

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    mux maintenance is hella expensive if you want to maintain sa casa. 💲💲💲

upgrade lng ng shock and coils for the fort ok na. better steering calibration. it lacks brake assist and traction control.

for me...a slight edge to the fort.

330nm to 444nm(wtq)

where can i upload pictures to share for free

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PATSYS View Post
    Hi folks,

I posted similar thread (2016 models) about 1 year ago and I think the Fortuner got a slight nod fro the posters.

Some things changed since then. The 2018 MU-X got a more powerful 6 speed engine, 18" rim, improved interior and knitted leather seats, while the 2018 Fortuner got rear disc brakes (used to be drum), LED foglights, etc.

Here are my thoughts as of this point:

Advantages of the Toyota Fortuner:
    Excellent seat configuration. The 2nd row seats can be moved forward and backward, while the 3rd row seat can be reclined.
    Ample feet room in 3rd row seat
    Heavier (curb weight), slight advantage for safety during collision
    High resale value
    Excellent after sales support
    Availability of parts

Advantages of Isuzu MU-X
    I heard better power (WHP and WTQ) and handling (than Fortuner)?
    Spacious inside
    More economical
    Better overall looks (especially with the 18" rim)
    Slightly higher ground clearance (at 230 mm vs 225)

I need inputs especially from those who actually own the units, please do not tell me to "...follow my heart because it is my hard earned money, etc..."..I know it is my money and if I am confident with what I know, I will not ask questions here. I wanna hear your opinion on which is the better choice and why.

Thanks
    I got the Toyota badge for practicality and because of its better aftersales support. I grew up in a car shop and saw how different car brands fared through the years. After all has been said and done and other factors considered, these are all machines that needs parts along its service life. No need to expound on these, unless of course you are well off and can buy any steed to you heart's content......

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LN106G View Post
    I got the Toyota badge for practicality and because of its better aftersales support. I grew up in a car shop and saw how different car brands fared through the years. After all has been said and done and other factors considered, these are all machines that needs parts along its service life. No need to expound on these, unless of course you are well off and can buy any steed to you heart's content......
    I currently have Isuzu Alterra and Toyota Vios, both casa maintained during their 1st 3 years. Big difference in after sales service quality if I compare Toyota Pasig vs Isuzu Pasig. Mas ok talaga sa Toyota.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    it's so simple to decide. since 4x4 ang primary, then you have to choose sa stance ng vehicle. the Fortuner looks wider and literally wider. sa offroading, mas may dating ang wide vehicle as can be seen in the models na 4x4 lang like Prado, FJ cruiser, Pajero BK, Land Cruiser 80.

Fortuner lang yan. the Isuzu MUX at 4x4 is a pretender.

6. Join Date
    May 2016
    Personally I've driven the 2.8L Fortuner and have the older euro2 3L Isuzu 4x2 as a daily driver, the Fortuner is a better performer and nothing beats the trademark silky-smooth gear changes of the Toyota. Isuzu sounds truckish but pulls like a train. 2k rpm and above is already quite noisy. Fortunately it cruises 100 at ~1800rpm. The Blue power Isuzu I've heard is better on low-end torque, acceleration and NVH but I don't know by how much.

Strictly off-roading, Fortuner has the edge with the rear differential lock on the 2018 model, useful for extreme terrain. Mu-x doesn't have rear lockers but 4H though is enough for light trails. Take note both are part-time 4wd so you can't switch to 4H on sealed surfaces.

For daily use, Fortuner has a harsher ride but better stability on highways. Feels more claustrophobic with the high set dash but interior is a winner once you get acclimated, I like the brown leather, looks really classy and sets it apart from the usual beige and gray fare. Fortuner again is claustrophobic for me on the third row, I only fit when the second row has been adjusted mid-way. With the Isuzu, I fit quite comfortably at 5'10 with an inch of knee room to spare. There's also stadium-like seating so I see over the second row.

Fortuner 2.8 also has additional side and curtain airbags over the Mu-x. People often overlook this feature. At this price point, I won't think twice to get the vehicle with better safety kit.