New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Guys, I need some insights on these cars. I'm currently in the process of selecting a bigger car in replacement of my current Honda City 2013.

I was initially inclined in getting the Montero but then the diesel CR-V was announced making me think twice on what to get now. I know these 2 cars are of different segment but they are almost priced at the same range.

As much as I loved the City, I have already outgrown it and saw its limitations. It is a great car taking myself to office and back home but found lacking when it comes to out of town trips taking 5+ person thus the search for a bigger car.

I'll be using the bigger car as a daily driver to/from the office with occasional/once a month out of town trips.

Here are the reasons why I considered both cars:

Montero GLS
    + Ground clearance (for flood, rocky roads)
    + Design
    + Engine power (not sure how CRV will compare with the 120PS/300 torque but much lighter gross weight)
    + New features (Push start ignition, dual climate control, navigation/gps, larger multimedia display, etc)

CR-V 1.6 V
    + Brand (positive experience with Honda)
    + Space (roomier than the Monty)
    + Security (ex. Hill start assist, Vehicle stability assist)
    + lots of holders (ex. Cups, bottles, other things)

With these, what would be the wiser choice?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Vote ko CRV.

I have both types of cars from different manufacturers nga lang. A 2016 forty and a 2007 250x xtrail.
    Honestly mas trip ko gamitin yung xtrail, sakto kasi yung size nya relative to the forty na cumbersome gamitin sa laki. And like most would say, driving comfort malaki pinagkaiba talaga ng CUV sa PPV.

I usually use the fort kapag umuuwi sa inlaws sa tagaytay, or other fairly longer trips kasi diesel, lakas sa gaso nung xtrail eh.

Kung madali lang ipagpalit yung makina nila eh ginawa ko na, magsinlaki naman, lol. Now with the CRV diesel, this has materialized.

Edit: some might say meron naman dati pa yung tucson or sportage na diesels ah, preference ko kasi are japanese manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Id go for the CR-V as well. My preference is that crossovers make better daily drivers than PPVs. And the interior space of the CRV is better than that of the montero.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    CUVs drive better than PPVs so I'd go with the CRV.

Maybe it's worth considering the VW Golf Caddy. The Golf Caddy TDI 4Motion (AWD) offers good value at its 1.55M retail price. The 2.0L TDI turbo diesel engine is shared with the Jetta/Golf but tuned to 140hp/320Nm which is quite decent for its size. The sliding doors is a welcome of sorts for easy loading of passengers. Since the platform is similar to the Golf (VW MQB), you are assured of its decent handling.

Trimlevel < Caddy < Models < Volkswagen Philippines

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    CR-V for me. The only time I'd get a Montero is if I lived in a remote area with really bad roads and flooding.

6. Join Date
    May 2017
    I would choose the CRV.... but still best to test drive both cars.... get a feel of the seats for both driver and passengers plus cargo and also how they drive.

Every car buyer has different priorities or primary criteria on what car they're looking for so what's best for other people might not be the one suited for your needs.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Salamat sa repsonse mga sirs. Halos lahat CRV, will wait for more inputs.

Got this feeling that this will be a tough decision to make. My head is telling me to get the CRV but my heart beats the Monty. haha.

I'm really planning this purchase carefully as I intend to keep the car for 10yrs minimum.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lightsaberx View Post
    Salamat sa repsonse mga sirs. Halos lahat CRV, will wait for more inputs.

Got this feeling that this will be a tough decision to make. My head is telling me to get the CRV but my heart beats the Monty. haha.

I'm really planning this purchase carefully as I intend to keep the car for 10yrs minimum.

Always go with what your heart decides.

The fact that you still think this is a tough decision even if everyone has voted unanimously for the CRV means you really like the Montero for whatever reason.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *lightsaberx - go with what sings to you best. No amount of suggestion will matter if you have set your sight on something. You really don't want to suffer buyer's remorse later when you follow the suggestion of others.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I agree with you sir jut, but sometimes, following your heart also causes a heartbreak. 😅

I have yet to see the CRV V variant in person and I plan to visit the dealer as soon as they get a display unit in September. Maybe, it will ease the decision making.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast