New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesvv79 View Post
    Who's Jut po? Hehe.. Anyways, I need all the comments I can get to get a 100% decision, no what ifs

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk
    I am. [emoji6]

The Altis was my previous car, and I now have a Civic. In a nutshell, the Civic is better than the Altis in almost every aspect.

First off, there's aesthetics. While the current 11th gen Altis looks more aggressive than all the Altises that came before it, it just doesn't look anywhere as classy or headturning as the Civic.

I also prefer the Civic's high-tech and ergonomic all-black interior over the Altis' plain beige motif. The Civic has a very modern and easy to use 7" touch screen head unit which supports Apple Carplay and Android Auto, compared to the old school head unit of the Altis. The gauges of the Civic are also all-digital and adds to the futuristic feel of the car.

Both are very roomy cars for both front and rear passengers with more than enough space for 5, but the Altis comes out slightly more spacious simply because it has a flat rear floor compared to the Civic with a slight hump.

Both cars are also quite well-equipped. The closest comparison to the 1.8E Civic is the 1.6V Altis. Both cars have Bluetooth, climate control, auto headlamps, push button ignition. The Civic has traction control (only the 2017 Altis has this) plus LED headlamps, while the Altis has a leather steering wheel.

In terms of performance, the 1.8 Civic trumps the 1.6 Altis in both acceleration and top speed. Not saying the Altis is a slouch (because it isn't), but the Civic has 20 more horsepower and weighs about the same so of course it's faster.

Good news is that despite the better performance, the Civic has roughly the same fuel consumption as the Altis. In both cars, I get around 8 km/L in city driving, and around 16 km/L in highway driving. Both cars can also do over 20 kph on pure highway driving if you strictly stick to 80 kph only.

Aside from looking better and being faster, the Civic is also much more fun to drive than the Altis. I've driven both cars extensively on race tracks and mountain roads, and the Civic just has more grip, less body roll, stronger brakes, and has better handling overall.

And even if the Civic has better handling, it doesn't sacrifice ride comfort at all. Actually both cars have very comfortable rides, absorbing potholes better than most compacts and all subcompacts.

When it comes to maintenance, most people think that Toyotas are cheaper to maintain than Hondas, but in my experience the Civic is actually cheaper to maintain the Altis. This is because Hondas only require PMS every 10,000 km while Toyotas require servicing every 5,000 km. Cost per PMS is roughly the same - I just my 40k PMS for my Civic which cost me 14.8k while 40k for the Altis was 15.2k.

So again, while the Altis is a pretty well-rounded package in itself, the Civic just comes out as the better car overall.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Who's Jut po? Hehe.. Anyways, I need all the comments I can get to get a 100% decision, no what ifs

altis is the old gen. wait for the new generation altis. tnga based new corolla-altis.

FOCUS

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    *mylesvv79 - there, you got a detailed review from Jut. As I have, the Civic is a better platform overall than the Altis.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Salamat po ng marami mga sir! Yep, seen the Civic.. Ang ganda. Love at first sight. Went to Toyota as well, kaso wala sila Altis sa showroom pero again, discouraged bec of the ht/head room. Pababa daw po kasi sabi ni agent kaya he introduced me to Yaris and Rush hehe. Anyway, 2 units na lang daw po sa Alabang and they don't do test drive (?) for the Altis.

So pag-iisipan ko ng ilang weeks ang mga opinion as well as mga nakita ko sa showroom. Thanks po ulit!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Salamat po ng marami mga sir! Yep, seen the Civic.. Ang ganda. Love at first sight. Went to Toyota as well, kaso wala sila Altis sa showroom pero again, discouraged bec of the ht/head room. Pababa daw po kasi sabi ni agent kaya he introduced me to Yaris and Rush hehe. Anyway, 2 units na lang daw po sa Alabang and they don't do test drive (?) for the Altis.

So pag-iisipan ko ng ilang weeks ang mga opinion as well as mga nakita ko sa showroom. Thanks po ulit!

Good luck asking Toyota dealers for a test-drive. Most of these dealers are quite a snob and most would only display units that are fast moving on their inventory.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I had a test drive of my Altis in Toyota Shaw. I make it a point to test drive a car first before buying it.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I had a test drive of my Altis in Toyota Shaw. I make it a point to test drive a car first before buying it.

Maybe Toyota Shaw has better customer service. Toyota Alabang and BGC were not so warm with test-drives.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Maybe Toyota Shaw has better customer service. Toyota Alabang and BGC were not so warm with test-drives.
    Hehe. Mabait naman po si agent kaso datingan sa kin most buyers in Alabang "daw" , they just get the car and dont test drive. Anyway, I'm still thinking about which car I will ultimately choose kaya I didn't insist. Pero si Honda willing pa dalhin sa bahay just to test drive, so I can actually see and feel if it's the car for me #justsaying

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hehe. Mabait naman po si agent kaso datingan sa kin most buyers in Alabang "daw" , they just get the car and dont test drive. Anyway, I'm still thinking about which car I will ultimately choose kaya I didn't insist. Pero si Honda willing pa dalhin sa bahay just to test drive, so I can actually see and feel if it's the car for me #justsaying

What's keeping you from buying the Civic already? Bakit mo pa kinoconsider yung Altis if you already feel that the Civic is for you?

10. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Still buying time po and waiting for the passion to buy asap to die down.. Mahirap po kasi masyado mabilis magdesisyon.. Orig plan was to buy during the Ber months but when I saw the cars, I wanted to buy asap. Lol. So kelangan po muna tanggalin excitement ng konti

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast