New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Both seem to be good value for money given their features, but unfortunately they don't have good re-sale values, which makes them ideal for those looking for more bang for the buck.

There are some Cefiro threads, but I can't find any threads for the old Camry. Hmm, people don't like the boring styling of the 90s Camry?

Given the choice and budget, which would you choose?

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    Go full monty with the Cefiro! It has the famed VQ engine but prepare some bucks for maintaining and fueling one. Since this one has a V6 engine. If on a budget ako, Camry ako. Simpler 4-cylinder engine siya then parts are shared with some Toyotas.

For more info, check these links.
    THE ULTIMATE USED CAR GUIDE: Used Car of the Week - Nissan Cefiro (1997-2000) - 1997 Nissan Cefiro
    motioncars.com | Drives | King of Plain: Toyota Camry (2002) - 1997 Toyota Camry

PS: I have no certain time kung kelan ako maglalabas ng review of the 1997 Camry. Pero I do have the Cefiro

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The old Camry is very comfortable, build quality is excellent, interior design is very well made too. But I just hate the way the exterior looks like a grandpa car. The engine isn't exactly desirable either. 129hp is too lethargic for a car of this size. The specs are really dismal too, what midsize sedan of that time uses rear drums and 14 inch wheels?!

The Cefiro on the other hand is an instant hit with the abundance of equipment, powerful V6 engine and well designed body. I'd get a well maintained Cefiro over the Camry any time.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd get a Corona Exsior well over the Camry 2.2, it has a good balance of FC and maintenance for 2.0L class sedan. Roomy interior and very easy to maintain (had one before).

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cs_nognog View Post
    Both seem to be good value for money given their features, but unfortunately they don't have good re-sale values, which makes them ideal for those looking for more bang for the buck.

There are some Cefiro threads, but I can't find any threads for the old Camry. Hmm, people don't like the boring styling of the 90s Camry?

Given the choice and budget, which would you choose?
    The 97 Camry is pretty slow to accelerate (the 97 Accord is pretty much the same too). The interior is also very boring, bare and plain. I would prefer to get the Cefiro instead. In proper condition the ride is very smooth. The interior much more luxurious.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The 2.2 Camry is one of the best engineered cars... ever... But it's rare, parts are not that easy to source and a bit plain in local spec.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    My dad bought a 1998 Toyota Camry and I bought a 1998 Volvo S70 as our get to go cars when we visit PI. Let me tell you, the Camry is an excellent car with low maintenance costs. It will outlive any other car probably even my S70. Its one of our favorite cars here in US, everyone drives it. My mom drives one a 1998 model LE. Engine is responsive as well as transmission. It maybe a mom's car but the reliability has been established. Interior is simple but not outdated and instrument clusters are user friendly. As for parts, dealership has everything but they are costly, try to use after market parts if possible that are OEM.
    I am not familiar with the Nissan Cefiro. I never heard of that and I dont know the equivalent of that car here in US. I have never driven a Nissan. My experience with Nissan is none at all and dont have the interest. I find their cars non appealing to my palate though they make better cars now compared before.
    My vote goes to the Camry.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    ^^^
    the maxima is the equivalent of the local cefiro here. Im not sure though with the engine, i nrlieve the maxima comes with a 3.0 liter engine compared to the cefiro's 2.0 v6 engine.

In our exeprience both cars are kinda costly to maintain. Camry suspension OEM parts are quite expensive while the problem with the cefiro vq engine are the oil leaks. Both cars are fun to drive, very comfortable and reilable at the same time. With the present high price of fuel, are you sure you really want any of those vehicles?
    Last edited by AKI125; April 14th, 2012 at 11:37 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    When my Dad changed his Camry suspension we bought an after market shocks, spring seats and most importantly the rear lateral links. I guess it was a KYB brand and the rear lateral links were Mevotech. Then we shipped it in PI and my Dad trusted shop in San Fernando La Union who worked on my Volvo did all the excellent work. The cost was not that bad, tops maybe more or less $600.00 on all wheels.

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cale View Post
    My dad bought a 1998 Toyota Camry and I bought a 1998 Volvo S70 as our get to go cars when we visit PI. Let me tell you, the Camry is an excellent car with low maintenance costs. It will outlive any other car probably even my S70. Its one of our favorite cars here in US, everyone drives it. My mom drives one a 1998 model LE. Engine is responsive as well as transmission. It maybe a mom's car but the reliability has been established. Interior is simple but not outdated and instrument clusters are user friendly. As for parts, dealership has everything but they are costly, try to use after market parts if possible that are OEM.
    I am not familiar with the Nissan Cefiro. I never heard of that and I dont know the equivalent of that car here in US. I have never driven a Nissan. My experience with Nissan is none at all and dont have the interest. I find their cars non appealing to my palate though they make better cars now compared before.
    My vote goes to the Camry.
    Nissan Cefiro in the Philippines is the Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 in the US

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Camry 97 vs Cefiro 97