New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    which would you choose between the 2? i'm personally leaning on the x5m since it looks so much better than the cayenne gts. performance x5m is also faster on the straights pero cornering not sure since i haven't driven the cayenne gts.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Having driven neither, but having driven the lower-rung cars:

The X5M, in a heartbeat. Though if you're looking for something really fun to drive, why not just get an X6M. Or better, the lighter X635i, then get it chipped for more power.

The problem with the "big boys", the ones with V8 power, is there's a lot of front-end "push" from the weight of the engine, and they wear on their brakes faster. I'd rather have the turbocharged car, tuned with a remap (there are many offering this for the 3.5 liter engine) and an exhaust and intercooler upgrade putting out around 400+ hp... with the lightness and agility the smaller engine confers.

Unless BMW has already applied the wider stance from the X6 to the X5 (I doubt it), the X6 will still drive much better than the X5 or Cayenne. (I'd still rather have an M3... but if you're going to get a truck... )

Of course... you'll have to put up with an interior that's less-special than in the Cayenne... but the BMWs have always looked much prettier to me... and when you're having fun... who has time to look at plastics?

There's also word that Dinan modifications (which are covered under BMW warranty) can take the new V8 up to X5M/X6M levels, by the way.
    Last edited by niky; August 10th, 2010 at 12:00 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    i also like the x6m better than the x5m but it's not up to me, also the x6 has a really small cargo space and the back seats is ma sikip. so kawawa ang nasa likod.

the handling of the x5m is really great, i can say just as good as my STi. what impressed me the most is the fuel response, pin point accuracy of the steering wheel and the paddle shift almost has no lag it changes gears just as fast as our c63.

regarding the interior, the x5m's interior feels much more hi-tech than the cayenne but the cayenne felt much more solid than the x5m. the seats of the cayenne are also better and the leather is also better. so they're really not that far apart when it comes to the interior. so the choice will be decided by maintenance cost na lang siguro, but in the states mura lang mag maintain ng bmw i just don't know about porsche.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    which would you choose between the 2? i'm personally leaning on the x5m since it looks so much better than the cayenne gts. performance x5m is also faster on the straights pero cornering not sure since i haven't driven the cayenne gts.

What would be your priority?

Performance? Luxury? Price? Exclusivity? Looks?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    i also like the x6m better than the x5m but it's not up to me, also the x6 has a really small cargo space and the back seats is ma sikip. so kawawa ang nasa likod.

the handling of the x5m is really great, i can say just as good as my STi. what impressed me the most is the fuel response, pin point accuracy of the steering wheel and the paddle shift almost has no lag it changes gears just as fast as our c63.

regarding the interior, the x5m's interior feels much more hi-tech than the cayenne but the cayenne felt much more solid than the x5m. the seats of the cayenne are also better and the leather is also better. so they're really not that far apart when it comes to the interior. so the choice will be decided by maintenance cost na lang siguro, but in the states mura lang mag maintain ng bmw i just don't know about porsche.
    Well... then X5M, definitely. Maintenance ain't going to be easy for either, but at least the BMW dealership markups are less than for Porsche.

And aftermarket options for the BMW in the US are more widespread. Tons of ECU tuners and aftermarket parts suppliers who provide BMW upgrades.

From what I know of the GTS, it's a sweeter handling V8 Cayenne (non-turbo), so it should handle as well as the X5M, but won't have the "kick" of power it has. Aside from that, I've never found the Cayenne particularly attractive (though the new Turbo certainly has presence), and the X5's design and style have aged much better.

EDIT: feels good on the road... but when you take them to the track, the dynamic shortcomings of being based on a tall, heavy truck become evident. Understeer, brake fade, lots of tire-shredding... yes, these new X-cars steer very well, but a sports car is always going to be keener at the limit.

Then again, none of that matters a rat's ass on the road... all that matters is that they steer nice, go fast, and ride well.
    Last edited by niky; August 10th, 2010 at 12:42 PM.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    *gh: we're just looking for some thing fun to drive that can fit our family and our luggage at the same time.

*niky: we're leaning on the x5m, just looking at our other options. and this car will never see the track any way so it's ok if it doesn't handle that well.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    How about the new Porsche Cayenne ..

Mas head tuner yung cayenne & iba ang dating when you step out of it coz its a " Porsche "

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Iba yung dating because it's a reskinned VW Touareg, you mean?

There's not really anything special about the Cayenne... at least not more special than an Audi Q7, BMW X5 or Ranger Rover Sport. It's an SUV. Built on a VW platform. It doesn't have a Porsche 911 suspension, it doesn't have a 911 Boxer engine (the base model uses the VW VR6), and it doesn't have the nimbleness of a 911.

It's a great truck, to be sure, as far as super-trucks go. It's amazing in the sand dunes, can take a lot of punishment, is mind-bogglingly fast and has a really nice interior. But at the end of the day, the only connection between the Cayenne and Porsche sports cars is that every Cayenne sold gives more funds to Porsche to continue developing 911s and Cayman/Boxsters. That's it.

Nice truck. but again, the Porsche badge doesn't make it any more special than the other super-trucks out there.

---

On that note... does it really have to be the "M" or the "GTS" (not considering the Cayenne Turbo? Really rapid.... if you're not going to track it, you'll appreciate this more than the GTS)? Ever consider the Ranger Rover Sport?
    Last edited by niky; August 10th, 2010 at 03:31 PM.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    ^^^ well each of us have our own opinion & preferences ..

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    we already had a range rover sport, the x5m will replace the range rover sport. what made us sell our rr sport was the issues it has, it's ok for us to keep a high maintenance car as long as walang problema kaso yung rr sport dami kalampag and lumalangit-ngit ang brakes ilan beses na pinaayos pero bumabalik parin, kaya na asar na si erpat. he told me that if he's going to pay that much for maintenance and gas dapat walang problema yung kotse, so for him it wasn't worth keeping the rr sport anymore.

anyway our choices at first was the x5, q7, gl550, cayenne, but since i'm the one who will use it most of the time i decided to get some thing fun at the same time will fit our family and luggage. i wanted the grand cherokee srt8 at first, but when we went to test drive the x5, the dealer had an x5m fully loaded and they let us test drive that one also, and immediately when my dad drove it his face was priceless, like a baby that had it's first chocolate. kung ako lang ok na ko sa q7 or even the srt8 since it's the cheapest, but my dad told me that if i can suggest another suv that can put a smile on his face like the x5m did then he'll also consider that. all i can think of at that point is the cayenne gts and x6m but he doesn't like the x6m.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
2011 X5 M or 2011 Cayenne GTS