New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Resale - safe choice is City. Pero tingin ko magiging mabenta yung 2nd hand Fiesta sa mga students or young employees looking for their 1st car

FC - most likely pareho lang. may possibility na mas tipid ang fiesta sa hiway because of powershift.

Comfort - depends on you needs. City huge rear leg room pero matagtag at malakas ang road noise. Fiesta, maganda suspension, maganda yung seats, pero sakto lang for 5

Safety - Fiesta. maraming safety features and top of the class sya sa mga crash test sa ibang bansa

pro's and con para sakin nung nagtest drive kami

City (1.5 AT)
    + space. Can seat 5 people comfortably and kaya magsiksik ng 6
    + huge cargo space (maspraktikal if you go to province and carry a lot of stuff)
    - matagtag, parang ramdam mo yung road masyado. para sakin, masOk yung feel ng vios and fiesta.
    - seats. dunno malambot sya and all pero I have a feeling na parang hindi sya magtatagal

Fiesta (sport)
    + power. AT but sounds like a manual
    + audio. Ganda ng sound ng stock speakers
    + daming safety features
    + seats. parang masmaganda yung quality
    - space. medyo masikip sya for 5 people. might be an issue sa rear passangers for long driving
    - bagong release lang. So hindi pa tayo sure sa parts, service etc

2. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Elantra is a C-segment car. Might be worth the wait if you're in the market for a C-segment car...
    oops.. sorry, sir, I meant Accent (corrected above). di na ata kaya ng budget ang Elantra..

you mentioned that you don't like Accent's 4-speed A/T option. other than that, is the Accent worth considering over the Fiesta or the City?

mukhang dumadami pa naco-consider ko habang tumatagal ah.. i guess this is what's good sa mga discussion na ganito, mas na-e-enlighten ang mga kagaya kong limited ang options before..

thanks!

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    IMO it can be worth considering over a City and a Fiesta. Depends on what you like. I have seen the Accent's specs and pictures, I still prefer the Fiesta... But different strokes for different folks. You have to remember I have a Santa Fe and several other cars so space is not as important to me compared to say fun to drive factor!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trig View Post
    FC - most likely pareho lang. may possibility na mas tipid ang fiesta sa hiway because of powershift.
    oo nga, sir.. mukhang advantage yung powershift ng Fiesta kahi na 1.3 ang makina ng City. and i think mas alaga pa ang transmission dahil sa dual-clutch?

City (1.5 AT)
    - matagtag, parang ramdam mo yung road masyado. para sakin, masOk yung feel ng vios and fiesta.
    - seats. dunno malambot sya and all pero I have a feeling na parang hindi sya magtatagal
    ah talaga? kahit po ba sa front matagtag din? nung tinest-drive ko naman po yung City, medyo di naman.. siguro dahil bago? pero baka nga mas ramdam kung nasa likod ka..

Fiesta (sport)
    + power. AT but sounds like a manual
    + audio. Ganda ng sound ng stock speakers
    + daming safety features
    + seats. parang masmaganda yung quality
    - space. medyo masikip sya for 5 people. might be an issue sa rear passangers for long driving
    - bagong release lang. So hindi pa tayo sure sa parts, service etc
    applicable din po ba tong mga 'to sa trend (sedan?) medyo top of the line na po yung sport, right? compared sa trend, similar din po ba yung advantages?

thanks, sir!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Test drive a Fiesta at your own risk... Your decision might make a tail spin. That is why Ford wants you to test drive a Fiesta. That test drive alone is a huge sales talk...
    this is so true...my dad reserved a fiesta the moment he stepped out of the car after the test drive.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Considering that you want an AT, Fuel-wise, if you will still mostly do city driving, mas matipid parin 1.3 bottomline, but with the powershift technology, I would think the difference won't be as much.

Ford is encouraging you to test-drive because it is true that you'll have a more "spirited" driving experience when you get to drive the Fiesta. But it would really depend on your needs. Say if you would be using the car in mostly stop-and-go city driving as you mentioned, and let's say during weekends, more than two people usually ang nakasakay, then the advantages of the Fiesta are useless. But if dalawa lang parati nakasakay then biyahe ka madalas on weekends, then I'd go Fiesta if I were you.

Regarding comfort, depends on how sensitive you really are... Personally kasi I am not so sensitive. I have driven many cars already in my lifetime, among them recently are the old Altis, old vios, 2nd Gen CRV, new Tucson, and the City. Para sa akin, all are at par naman except for the CRV na grabe lang talaga yung tagtag. The old Altis and the City are pretty much the same in ride comfort, para sa akin, mas okay ergonomics ng city, pero mas maingay sa road noise ang City. Comparing against the old vios, road noise is just a little quiter in the City pero parehas silang maingay, but the interior ergonomics is much much better than my old Vios.

Regarding the Accent, I'm advising you to wait for this one because if you will want a practical car, this is again a good option. Hyundai is bragging that Accent will have the longest wheelbase in its segment, this means supposedly bigger cabin space. Trunk space is at about 450 liters, which is also big. The looks/design is Sonata-esque, which looks good in my opinion. And the engine specs is also pretty darned good, wherein the 1.6 will give you about 120hp, and the 1.4 will give you about just above 100hp. Medyo "eeehhhh" lang nga ang tranny as Tidus mentioned, but I'd take this in a heartbeat if the pricing is what I expect it to be. Hyundai did good with their pricing of Tucson and Sonata (most recent releases), but did bad with their i30... I trust that HARI learned how they can emerge as a #2 car brand in the Philippines if they just do the pricing right with the new Accent and the new Elantra.

I would've waited for this kung sandali lang yung hintay, but my budget dictated that I had to buy a car three months ago pa kaya nawala ang new Accent sa choices ko.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by st3a7th View Post
    •Resale value – say, after 5-7 years
    Unknown. The GD Jazz/City had great resale value compared to other subcompacts (like the Vios) for a long while... but it's finally coming level with the other cars, as rumors about the fragility of the CVT eat into the value and because they've been superceded by the GE models.

Stylish cars like the Fiesta retain their resale for a while (look at the Mazda3), but when the next big thing comes along... no more. IF the Fiesta proves to be economical and durable, then resale should stay good.

•Fuel consumption – obviously mas tipid ang 1.3; just not sure kung mas magaan ang Fiesta so baka mas efficient in terms of fuel consumption. city driving lang naman on weekdays and twice a month sa nlex/slex.
    The 1.3... depends. In MT it's supposed to be good, but the 1.3 AT gets almost the same consumption as 1.5 ATs (I've tested this on the highway and in urban driving), which is disappointing. No data on the 1.6 yet, but the Powershift should make it somewhat more economical than a standard AT. But then again, the Fiesta is a heavy little car, which will hurt economy.

•Comfort – they say medyo maliit and Fiesta lalo na sa likod but is the City any better? Dalawa lang naman kami ni wife most of the time so hindi pa naman malaking concern ang mga sasakay sa likod though I’m sure from time to time may family members and friends na isasakay.
    The City is worlds away bigger than any other small car out there. The cabin is wider and the back seat leg-room is enormous. But in terms of front-seat comfort, the Fiesta is very good. The Fiesta, Mazda2 and Vios have very similar room in the back (the Mazda2 and Vios are just about tied, with the Fiesta slightly behind because it "feels" smaller).

•Safety – better handling, more safety features, etc.
    Fiesta. More modern crash structure. More safety features.

-

RE: maintenance. It's the same as for any brand new car. Parts are not as common as they are for older 90's cars, but there are many shops that now specialize in Ford parts, thanks to the popularity of the Lynx/Focus. Used to be, I had to search high and low for parts for my Mazda... but when we got the Mazda-based Ford Lynx, we were really happy with it, because there are tons of shops in Banawe that carry everything from engine sensors to replacement headlights and tail-lights for much, much cheaper than casa pricing.

People say: "mas marami yan sa road... tiyak na mas maraming spare parts!"... yeah... right... when my cousin has problems with his Altis, his mechanic also has to go to Banawe for parts. Big difference!

You obviously won't be able to buy Fiesta parts in Banawe now, since it's a new car, but a few years down the road, if a lot of people buy them, then chances are good that parts will be just as easy to find as for the Lynx.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    RE: maintenance. It's the same as for any brand new car. Parts are not as common as they are for older 90's cars, but there are many shops that now specialize in Ford parts, thanks to the popularity of the Lynx/Focus. Used to be, I had to search high and low for parts for my Mazda... but when we got the Mazda-based Ford Lynx, we were really happy with it, because there are tons of shops in Banawe that carry everything from engine sensors to replacement headlights and tail-lights for much, much cheaper than casa pricing.

People say: "mas marami yan sa road... tiyak na mas maraming spare parts!"... yeah... right... when my cousin has problems with his Altis, his mechanic also has to go to Banawe for parts. Big difference!
    Not to start a word-war or anything here, but what I was meaning to say on my comment na kung mas maraming bumibili ng model, the easier it is to maintain, and this somehow really has an effect on the resale value of a car as was the concern of the TS.

We live near Banawe, and we get our our parts doon sa mga kakilala rin namin sa banawe. Of course, Banawe has everything. However, if for example that you will need a certain part for your car, if it you have an Altis or a Vios, most probably mas makakakita ka ng original, surplus, or replacement part sa Banawe. This means you have the choice of what you want installed sa kotse mo (cheaper or more reliable but more expensive ones). The less popular the model is, the less likely you will have these choices -- most probably original lang magiging available because you won't have many surplus parts, and those guys making replacements won't make them if they know that there is not enough demand for it (or if they make them, distributors/retailers won't import them because they know it lacks demand).

Sa mga shops outside of QC, the more common models will definitely have more chances of having spare parts. Example is that when I borrowed my brother's Altis after the Ondoy days (mine was at the talyer, while my brother had his already running after the flood - since just above knee deep lang naman baha sa amin non). I noticed something was wrong when i tried to start his car, pero nasa office na ako nun. I was near the Mandaluyong area, and I asked for any shops there that did car repair outside of Rapide, they were able to point me to a small shop. In that small shop, they had a surplus starter for the Altis immediately, and I had it fixed in a couple of hours. That's ease of maintenance in my opinion (samanatalang agawan nung time nun sa starters because of the flood). And I seriously doubt that I can do that outside of Banawe with a Mazda 3 or a Ford Lynx.

The availability and choices of surplus or replacement parts makes it easier for potential 2nd hand buyers (who are usually more budget conscious) to choose a brand which is easier to maintain. Thus, with more demand, the higher the resale value supposedly.

But of course this doesn't mean that the Fiesta can't achieve this status, or this a guarantee that the surplus/replacement availability will also be available for the City. It's something that the TS will have to assess on what he really wants in a car.

Heck, if only the Fiesta had a bigger cabin space, my vote will be for the Fiesta too. Bahala na yung maintenance. ...but the Fiesta's cabin is a deal breaker for me. It's just a personal preference.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by homer jay View Post
    Heck, if only the Fiesta had a bigger cabin space, my vote will be for the Fiesta too. Bahala na yung maintenance. ...but the Fiesta's cabin is a deal breaker for me. It's just a personal preference.
    i got to see the Fiesta up close yesterday sa MOA. too bad i wasn't able to test drive one, lumakas ang ulan nung time na dumating kami and medyo matagal din kaya we decided to just look around instead. from what i've seen, the Fiesta's cabin doesn't just look small.. it really is. and it's the same between the hatch and the sedan, it's just that the latter has bigger trunk space. and , in terms of interior ergonomics, i'm not sure pero i found the Fiesta too, erm.. stiff?

it's not that it isn't comfortable, it's just that the City, feels more comfortable even sa front area. seats are more cushion-y, posture is more relaxed, and you don't feel as restricted even when your hands are actually on the wheel. i'm sure the driving experience is another story as i might forget these things once umarangkada na ang Fiesta. but then again, I do have to consider na in a few years time, children might come in to the picture (with all those baby stuff that take up space) and, assuming we'll still have the same car five years down the road, i guess comfort plays a BIG role in considering our options, more than me having a great time driving it.

so, right now i'm leaning City. pero, that being said, i'd still give the Fiesta a test drive one of these days. it may or may not sway me to go Fiesta, but at least I can say I did consider all our options before buying one.

thanks, mga sirs! though i'd encourage you still to detail the pros and cons here for similar concerns of would be-buyers. after all, even my decision isn't set in stone yet.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by homer jay View Post
    The availability and choices of surplus or replacement parts makes it easier for potential 2nd hand buyers (who are usually more budget conscious) to choose a brand which is easier to maintain. Thus, with more demand, the higher the resale value supposedly.
    Having gone this route before... I'd say: it's arguable.

Surplus parts are a good band-aid... but they don't last long. You're just patching a worn-out part with a part that will wear out again soon and cost you more money (and more importantly... more time) to fix. Been there, done that. Same with replacement parts. Cheap replacement parts don't last nearly as long as originals.

The Lynx? You've got to own one to know. Parts are affordable. My current clutch costs less than the last Sentra clutch I bought. And the only parts I have to send out to Banawe for are very specific electronic parts like ignition coils and MAF sensors. Starters, ACs, shock absorbers, brake pads and the like, I can get where I am.

It's the same with the Altis. Suspension and major parts are easy. Fiddly electronic and engine parts, you have to hunt for.

The Focus is another matter. It's a newer car, so parts aren't as easy. But they're not impossible.

-

Yes, the fact that you can buy parts anywhere may matter for secondhand buyers... but that doesn't seem to do much for Toyotas in general versus Hondas... even though people believe that Honda parts cost an arm and a leg.

-

The only worry is whether Fiesta parts will cost as much as Focus parts, but Focus parts are pricey because it's a midsized car... the Fiesta will likely be a different story... but again... only time will tell.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
2011 Fiesta or 2009 City