New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Hi!

Need help on an objective comparison between the two to recommend to my boss. Just a pros and cons will do. I understand there's a +- Php 300,000 difference in price between the two. So he wants to know which is better.

Anyone?

TIA

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    well, i've been contemplating those two models for myself, along with audi's A3 TDi.

my conclusion is that if you're going to get one of the BMW's, then definitely go with the 320d. the 3-series is still pretty much the gold standard when it comes to sport sedans. and i'm sure it's resale value will hold up much better than the 1-series.

the 1-series really has gotten pretty poor reviews. it handles great, but the ride is supposedly terrible, the rear is pretty cramped. and it just looks weird.

if you wish to read a 1-series review by jeremy clarkson, then you can check this out: http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle401596.ece

personally, the 3-series is the only BMW i would purchase since it is also the least Bangled of them all. but that's a personal opinion...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO.

I feel that the 320d is a better buy.

The 120d is good car... the acceleration is brutal, the steering & handling is nice, the seats are just ok (not as spacious as the Jazz, more like the Swift)... but it looks kinda iffy to me. The 3-door variant looks better though.

And with only 300K separating the two... that's reasonable enough.

bigbigcar.com Feature: BMW Dynamic Drive Experience

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Thanks a mil for your replies quattro and mazdamazda.

I saw the Bimmer 120d in the flesh last night. Honestly, it looked a bit like the Honda Jazz parked right next to it . But seriously, the interior is a bit tight and to be able to fit golf sets, you'd have to fold the seats. My boss and his wife do out-of-town golf trips often. So, I guess, the 3 series wins here.

I haven't seen the 320ds yet. Are the engines identical? I also noticed the 120ds A/C controls are the analogue type and fit/finish is quite 'ordinary.' And the seats are fabric. I understand, the 320d sells quite a lot in Europe for fleet accounts and the 1-series are for entry-level BMW owner wanabees. So I guess there's not much to expect in terms of interiors, unless it's different here in the Philippines.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK, the 320d is marketed as more "upscale" here - am pretty sure it got the leather seats... will browse my 3-series brochure later this evening.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    AFAIK, the 320d is marketed as more "upscale" here - am pretty sure it got the leather seats... will browse my 3-series brochure later this evening.
    Based on the info found in the The Philippine Star BMW Xpo 2008 section last Feb.22, the P3M 320d has the same features as the 320i Sport.
    The 320i Sport comes standard with Dakota leather trim, burled walnut wood trim, power moonroof and 18 inch alloys.
    Last edited by AG4; March 12th, 2008 at 04:54 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIR - from the brochure there are some subtle differences between the 320i Sport & 320d. Will check it out later.

bigbigcar.com Feature: BMW Dynamic Drive Experience

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The interior of the 3-series definitely FEELS more upmarket than the 120d. The 120d's seats and interior trim feel quite flimsy in comparison.

The 3 also rides much, much better, and has much more interior space. Handling is still great, though not as go-kart-ish as the 120d. The brakes on the 120d feel sharper because it's lighter, but the 3 brakes really well, as well.

BUT: I don't think the 320d comes in automatic. If that's important to the buyer, they might want to consider a 320i, instead.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The interior of the 3-series definitely FEELS more upmarket than the 120d. The 120d's seats and interior trim feel quite flimsy in comparison.

The 3 also rides much, much better, and has much more interior space. Handling is still great, though not as go-kart-ish as the 120d. The brakes on the 120d feel sharper because it's lighter, but the 3 brakes really well, as well.

BUT: I don't think the 320d comes in automatic. If that's important to the buyer, they might want to consider a 320i, instead.
    Hello sir Niky,

I've also been monitoring these two cars but I still haven't seen them personally. I'm just a bit confused about the 320d because I think I read in motioncars that it is a 6 speed AT. Could there be 2 variants?

Thank you.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    I test drove a 320d not long ago and I remember it comes in A/T. I think its a nice sport sedan without the guilt of wasting too much on gas.

If the price difference is only about 300k, definitely go for a 320d nalang. But if you comparing say a 320d vs a 130i , even if the 1-series is more expensive, maybe its something worth thinking about hehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2008 BMW 120d vs 320d