New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mbt View Post
    the accord is really a great car. even the first 2.0 accords with 15" wheels are very lovely to drive; I don't find them too underpowered even on the highway. marvelous steering, excellent ergonomics, superb instruments, very good stock audio, amazing quality... you will simply NOT go wrong with this car!

I find the Civic a bit too faddish inside and out, especially the spaceship dashboard. not a bad car at all and the engine and drivetrain are very good, but I'll take the used Accord over a new Civic myself. the used Accord will be a bargain.
    Accords have been growing and becoming heavier after each generation, but engine size didn't. The 2.0 of the current model, despite i-VTEC advancement, felt lethargic and certainly gulps fuel. This should explain why it has been scrapped in favor of the 2.4 motor.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by squala View Post
    Accords have been growing and becoming heavier after each generation, but engine size didn't. The 2.0 of the current model, despite i-VTEC advancement, felt lethargic and certainly gulps fuel. This should explain why it has been scrapped in favor of the 2.4 motor.
    I think that's because we've been given the USDM version of the Accord VII. The JDM Accord (sold as the Acura TSX) is a lightweight relative to it. Curb weight on the Acura TSX/JDM Accord is about the same as the previous generation model (the old Accord VI 2.3li weighed 1400kg ~ 1463kg, depending on trim level).

JDM Accord: 1488kg
    US/PHDM Accord: 1558kg

JDM 2.4li engine: 205hp*7000rpm, 164lbs-ft*4500rpm
    USDM 2.4li engine: 166hp*5800rpm, 160lbs-ft*4000rpm

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by squala View Post
    The 5-speed A/T helps, it could also be that the thing is so smooth you won't really notice unless you're rushing. The same K20 engine feels slower in the CR-V than in the Accord if i remember right. I know someone who owns both a 2004 Accord 2.0 and a 2004 CR-V 2.0 and he says the CR-V drinks more fuel.

But I agree that the 2.4 is a more appropriate engine for the Accord than the K20... and especially the gonzo V6 -- a bit too much for city driving, but what the heck! V6 Accords would be bargain buys in the used-car market

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    That's probably because the 2.0 CR-V had only 4-speed A/T, and the fact that it's less aerodynamic than the Accord makes it consume even more gas. I drove my friend's '04 Accord 2.0 to the Fort then Quezon Ave, and the E in the fuel gauge seems to magnetize the needle. There was no traffic and neither did I have a leaded foot that time. It really drank fuel like there's no tomorrow. Other 2.0 owners also complained of gas guzzling, according to a Honda dealer I talked to before. Thus, the 2.4.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
2007 civic vs. 2004 accord