New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    which is a better buy, A first gen rav 4 or a first gen CRV (with the B20B 126hp engine). car is for daily office use and weekend trips to batangas

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    well kung for daily office use, I would'nt recommend the 1st gen RAV4 coz para kang pumapasok ng naka-rubber shoes

j/k lang po hahaha

kidding aside, kung importante sa'yo history. the old gen1 rav4 design eh 1995 pa ata lumabas. first time ko nakita to sa Universal Studios Parking Lot around 1995 pa.
    but I did like the design back then. and so were the concept designers of nike air (hehehe sori cant help it)

while yun 1st gen CRV 1998 yun.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sir I had the same dilemma. was choosing between a gen1 CRV and a RAV4.2 (2nd gen). my first choce is the gen1 CRV (2000-2001) but was unable to find one with a manual transmission. had to settle for a RAV4 instead. i test drove the RAV4 and the ride is OK with me. maybe because I was used to driving a beaten up mitsu lancer (pizza) with a "sports mode" suspension :-)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    gen1 RAV4 was launched 1996... CRV late 97 as a 98 model.

for me, CRV...more practical, roomier.

the RAV4 though has a better AWD system.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by squatt3r
    sir I had the same dilemma. was choosing between a gen1 CRV and a RAV4.2 (2nd gen). my first choce is the gen1 CRV (2000-2001) but was unable to find one with a manual transmission. had to settle for a RAV4 instead. i test drove the RAV4 and the ride is OK with me. maybe because I was used to driving a beaten up mitsu lancer (pizza) with a "sports mode" suspension :-)
    Are you happy with the Rav 4? if I had the choice I would probably get the Rav4.2 but unfortunately its price is a bit higher than the CRV 1st gen. I kinda like the Rav 4.1 better than the 1st gen CRV in terms of looks. Although the CRV has a much more luxurious dash interior compared to the Rav4.1's basic straight forward dash interior. People also say that the Rav 4 is a bit fuel efficient than the CRV. Is this true?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    1st Gen CR-V

1st gen rav-4 ung mga 2 doors, carb mga un, 2.0L, 4 doors, efi na...

pero ung 1st gen. 1st batch sohc non-vtec(ata) 120 hp 4 door, pero a/t wla daw pang od switch... ung mid batch na nagsimula ng 150hp dohc non-vetc(parin ata) na may OD switch ang a/t

manual na 1st gen 98++ na crv ang maganda makuha...alam ko rav4 di nagoffer ng manual for the 4-door...tsaka sabi daw ng asawa ko, ung 2-door na rav4 gen 1 mukhang booties ng baby!

so kahit kantsawan ako kasi noon iniinis ko siya dahil gusto nya ung gen.1 cr-v, ngayon, ako din nagagandahan na ako sa kanya....nagsimula nung pawala na ung 1st gen, then etong gen.2...naiiba na ung meaning ko dati kong tawag dun sa 1st gen ay comfort-room vehicle......

so my vote CR-V, pero ung mid-last batch lang....m/t...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    get the crv, roomier.

but if you can get the one with the O/D switch pag matic. basta, get the one with the upgraded engine

sarap i-drive nun

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Im still not decided. I test drove a 99 Rav 4 today and it was nice. Also test drove a 98 CR-V equally good but roomier lang and I really like its dashboard.

oh btw, the gen1 CRV that has the OD button is the CRV with the B20Z motor. Has 146 hp compared to the previous (B20B) 126 hp motor. Funny how very few people even used car salesmen don't know about this (pareho lang daw iba lang yung takip ng engine hahaha). I think it was the 4th quarter 1999 to 2001 CRV models that came out in the Philippines that had this engine. Medyo mahal pa ang mga CR-V na nasa year model na to. na sa 480 to 520 pa compared to the 98-99 CRV and 98-99 Rav na 400 to 450.

So far I have short listed the following pros that I have for both

CRV
    - I like the dash board and instrumentation
    - More torquey Engine
    Rav 4
    - I like its look better than the CRV
    - It has a more fuel efficient engine than the CRV

Looking at the prices for the same year models, I think halos pareho lang resale value nila.

wala lang nasuggest ko lang kasi undecide ka parin... why not a grand vitara either 2.0 or the powerful 2.5 v6!compact SUV but not a softroader like rav4s and crvs....pero baka off-the-budget din to...

cant suggest a pajero io kasi walang local,e....pero maganda din ito..

at baka mainsulto ka kung suggest ko sayo ang sportage ng kia...

type ko din ung subaru forester, lalo na ung gen 2...but they're rare to find as a used unit...baka gen.1 forester pasok sa budget, but the gen 2 may be off....in m/t din maganda, may hill descent (or was it low setting?)

well, ung vitara kasi 1.6 lang and baka di mo matypan..ung xtrail naman, off the budget pa...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
1st Gen Rav 4 vs 1st Gen CRV