New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Hi people! I'm having a hard time deciding between the two. I keep on arguing with my wife on which to choose. I currently own an 05 Lancer GLS and i'm having problems with the baggage space since we already have a baby. The stroller is a pain to bring along. It barely fits in the trunk, i even have to put it in upside down just for it to fit. We seldom have visitors (in-laws are from another town), but my wife insists i consider them too. I don't want to consider fuel consumption as of now.

Facts:
    09 Outlander GLS Sport
    3.0 Gas V6 4x4
    Price tag: 1,425,000 (with leather seats upgrade)
    Neat stuff: rockford fosgate sound system, paddle shifters, "bagets" look
    Wife thinks: like an upgraded lancer due to seating capacity but good baggage space
    Me thinks: feels worthy of price, looks like it's filled with features, nice gas engine and sound system, sufficient luggage space, better looks

08 Montero Sport GLS SE
    3.2 DiD 4x4
    Price tag: 1,620,000
    Neat stuff: CRDi diesel engine, up to 7 passengers, classy (tatay) look, looks could last longer than previous
    Wife thinks: could seat more people and could stay as family car longer even if we have more kids hehe
    Me thinks: yes it seats better but it will still be a long time before we can actually fill it up with kids and the looks of the car are too mature, the rear end doesn't look that nice

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    For me its the Outlander hands down. The only two reasons I will ever get a Montero Sport over an Outlander is ONE you want diesel frugality and TWO you require some off-roading. The Outlander will drive better, ride better and as you said looks better.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    very tough problem.... parehas kong gusto... but with diesel now selling lower than gasoline by 6 pesos... MS na ako.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i've got a small family like yours too. and we opted for the outlander. if we were going to bring along an extended family, we would have opted for a van instead. but since, we also needed one for a daily drive. thus the hulking yet nimble outlander is the logical choice.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Ito ay isa lamang suggestion. Why not toss in the Hyundai Santa Fe in the choices. I thinks its the compromise of both the Outlander and the Montero Sport. The Santa Fe is CRDi-VGT (diesel frugality) and a 7 seater like the Montero Sport but its also a crossover like the Outlander so it rides and drives better than the truck based Montero Sport. The price is also in the middle of the two at P1,538,000...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    the outlander is a better daily ride if you're traversing city streets and highways most of the time. if you're offroading or driving through unpaved roads regularly, the montero is the better choice.

Fuel economy of both cars would end up the same as the 3.0V6 MIVEC outlander can provide a decent 9-10km/liter on highways. The diesel on the montero sport may be save you a bit but wont give you the satisfaction of a gas engine in terms of acceleration and responsiveness.

The Outlander is also completely built unit from Japan (CBU), unlike the montero which is made in Thailand.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    hyundai santa fe 4x2 crdi.. i have two kids and this is the best choice for me... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60evEr45yzA"]YouTube - The New Driver's Seat - Hyundai Santa Fe[/ame]

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    For me Montero...space, its better to have one and not need it, than not to have it when you need it..I think ok lang yan na daily driver,sanayan lang yan. di naman siya ganon kalaki

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oliver1013 View Post
    For me Montero...space, its better to have one and not need it, than not to have it when you need it..I think ok lang yan na daily driver,sanayan lang yan. di naman siya ganon kalaki
    +1

Never was too impressed by the Outlander.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoots View Post
    the outlander is a better daily ride if you're traversing city streets and highways most of the time. if you're offroading or driving through unpaved roads regularly, the montero is the better choice.

Fuel economy of both cars would end up the same as the 3.0V6 MIVEC outlander can provide a decent 9-10km/liter on highways. The diesel on the montero sport may be save you a bit but wont give you the satisfaction of a gas engine in terms of acceleration and responsiveness.

The Outlander is also completely built unit from Japan (CBU), unlike the montero which is made in Thailand.
    +1 :thumbup:

Outlander earned a 5 star crash test rating from NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and the "Top Safety Pick" from IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
09 Motero Sport GLS SE vs. 09 Outlander GLS sport