New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Worth the effort ba to restore a box-type Lancer? Mahirap ba parts? Would I end up spending a lot pero masakit pa rin ang ulo ko to make it roadworthy and reliable? Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    If you will restore this car for "hobby" purposes yes, but if your intention is to restore this car and plan on using this as a daily driver then no.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post
    Worth the effort ba to restore a box-type Lancer? Mahirap ba parts? Would I end up spending a lot pero masakit pa rin ang ulo ko to make it roadworthy and reliable? Thanks.

If it's for personal hobby, why not? But you should be prepared to spend more money than the car is worth.

If it's to use it as personal daily transport (to save money from buying a new/newer car), no, it will not be worth it.

BTW, if you are going to restore it, you will first have to take it apart, clean it up, fix up the chassis and install all the parts back, replacing worn out stuff as you go. It will be a long & hard process if you really want to restore the car to a roadworthy and reliable condition.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not really for a daily drive. Will use it only for coding days plus once in a while trips in the city. The reason I want it to be reliable is that I don't like to have headaches or hesitations that it will break down whenever I'm driving it.

gh, its a good idea to strip it down but if I do, would you know of a ballpark figure I will end up paying to get it going? Say if the car is worth 30k, i don't want to spend a lot to bring it to mint condition. Just as long as its presentable and runs well, it would be good enough for me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post
    Not really for a daily drive. Will use it only for coding days plus once in a while trips in the city. The reason I want it to be reliable is that I don't like to have headaches or hesitations that it will break down whenever I'm driving it.

gh, its a good idea to strip it down but if I do, would you know of a ballpark figure I will end up paying to get it going? Say if the car is worth 30k, i don't want to spend a lot to bring it to mint condition. Just as long as its presentable and runs well, it would be good enough for me.
    If the car is in fair running condition but you need to do some body repairs and full body repainting too, anywhere from P50k to P100k to get it to "clean".

And since its an old car, I would also suggest to have it re-wired from bumper to bumper.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 27th, 2011 at 11:36 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    If the car is in fair running condition but you need to do some body repairs and full body repainting too, anywhere from P50k to P100k to get it to "clean".

And since its an old car, I would also suggest to have it re-wired from bumper to bumper.
    Looks like I need to buy a unit that has less things to fix. Hmmm. Isip isip.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have an eye on an A/T 1983 Box Type Lancer. This is very rare as I remembered i had a neighbor back then who owned one. Any suggestions by the old school gurus/box type afficionados here?
    Last edited by Mguy; January 28th, 2011 at 03:11 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    kung for show or pang tago, prepare to spend at least 100k for everything. from body repair, lights, rubber fittings, etc. etc.

puwede rin naman on a budget. abang ka lang ng kakatayin na lancer box type near your area, pero in some instances, talagang dinadayo pa ang katayan ng mga lumang oto. pero take note that some parts are getting expensive, like the original stanley headlights and taillights.

may mabibilhan pang parts ang box type. mahal nga lang. pero mostly may taiwan counterparts like sa mga ilaw, rubber fittings, grille, etc. kaya puwede ka magtipid ng konti.

I have an eye on an A/T 1983 Box Type Lancer. This is very rare as I remembered i had a neighbor back then who owned one. Any suggestions by the old school gurus/box type afficionados here?
    matic ang lancer box type namin. perfect for city driving as it puts into effective use the torque of the 4g32. sa highway ok rin naman, pero as experience dictates, mas maganda pa rin ang naka 5 speed manual para mas matipid sa gas at para di galit ang makina. 3 speed lang kasi ang A/T box type (no overdrive gear), just like any kasabayan nyang oto na A/T.

marami na rin napuntahan ang boxtype namin, as far as baguio city to the north and as far as tagaytay to the south. this is our daily driver.

the a/t boxtype needs extra attention and TLC on the cooling system. pero nothing out of the ordinary like radiator linis/overhaul, additional aux fan, coolant, etc. etc. ang oil cooler kasi nung A/T nakasakay sa radiator. this is very important especially pag puro paakyat ang daanan mo and/or madalas kang puno ng either passengers, cargo or both. a separate oil cooler na maliit (tulad ng sa mga bagong oto) is highly recommended.

pina overhaul na rin namin 2 years ago iyong transmission. overhauling kit may mabibili pa sa inyong suking mitsubishi specialty shop sa banawe (coltline, bestcolt, motorix, etc. etc.).

below are some general specs of the A/T boxtype

engine: 4g32 1600cc, same engine as with the GSR/GT variant
    trim: SL model, loob at labas
    transmission: 3 speed a/t
    brakes: front - disc, rear - drum

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

^^^ Power steering na rin ba iyan, bro?

Used to own a box type lancer. Was mightily satisfied, until new cars with power steering came in.....

13.9K:mop:

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    nope manual steering po. most early box types wala talagang power steering eh, unless pinakabit na sa labas. iyong mga late model boxes na lang ang meron.

nonetheless, madali lang naman pa power steering ang box type. steering gearbox and pump from L300 oks na siya. at siyempre iyong hydraulic fittings.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Is it worth to restore a box-type Lancer?