New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Worth the effort ba to restore a box-type Lancer? Mahirap ba parts? Would I end up spending a lot pero masakit pa rin ang ulo ko to make it roadworthy and reliable? Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    If you will restore this car for "hobby" purposes yes, but if your intention is to restore this car and plan on using this as a daily driver then no.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post
    Worth the effort ba to restore a box-type Lancer? Mahirap ba parts? Would I end up spending a lot pero masakit pa rin ang ulo ko to make it roadworthy and reliable? Thanks.

If it's for personal hobby, why not? But you should be prepared to spend more money than the car is worth.

If it's to use it as personal daily transport (to save money from buying a new/newer car), no, it will not be worth it.

BTW, if you are going to restore it, you will first have to take it apart, clean it up, fix up the chassis and install all the parts back, replacing worn out stuff as you go. It will be a long & hard process if you really want to restore the car to a roadworthy and reliable condition.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not really for a daily drive. Will use it only for coding days plus once in a while trips in the city. The reason I want it to be reliable is that I don't like to have headaches or hesitations that it will break down whenever I'm driving it.

gh, its a good idea to strip it down but if I do, would you know of a ballpark figure I will end up paying to get it going? Say if the car is worth 30k, i don't want to spend a lot to bring it to mint condition. Just as long as its presentable and runs well, it would be good enough for me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post
    Not really for a daily drive. Will use it only for coding days plus once in a while trips in the city. The reason I want it to be reliable is that I don't like to have headaches or hesitations that it will break down whenever I'm driving it.

gh, its a good idea to strip it down but if I do, would you know of a ballpark figure I will end up paying to get it going? Say if the car is worth 30k, i don't want to spend a lot to bring it to mint condition. Just as long as its presentable and runs well, it would be good enough for me.
    If the car is in fair running condition but you need to do some body repairs and full body repainting too, anywhere from P50k to P100k to get it to "clean".

And since its an old car, I would also suggest to have it re-wired from bumper to bumper.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 27th, 2011 at 11:36 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    If the car is in fair running condition but you need to do some body repairs and full body repainting too, anywhere from P50k to P100k to get it to "clean".

And since its an old car, I would also suggest to have it re-wired from bumper to bumper.
    Looks like I need to buy a unit that has less things to fix. Hmmm. Isip isip.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have an eye on an A/T 1983 Box Type Lancer. This is very rare as I remembered i had a neighbor back then who owned one. Any suggestions by the old school gurus/box type afficionados here?
    Last edited by Mguy; January 28th, 2011 at 03:11 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    If it's for personal hobby, why not? But you should be prepared to spend more money than the car is worth.

If it's to use it as personal daily transport (to save money from buying a new/newer car), no, it will not be worth it.

BTW, if you are going to restore it, you will first have to take it apart, clean it up, fix up the chassis and install all the parts back, replacing worn out stuff as you go. It will be a long & hard process if you really want to restore the car to a roadworthy and reliable condition.
    Would I end up spending a lot pero masakit pa rin ang ulo ko to make it roadworthy and reliable? Thanks.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pilaty View Post
    Would I end up spending a lot pero masakit pa rin ang ulo ko to make it roadworthy and reliable? Thanks.
    restoring one is a labor of love.
    i do it because i like to do it, and not because i intend to make significant money by selling it afterward.
    if the objective of the restoration is so's one may have a car to drive, perhaps getting a more recent, already-running vehicle, is the more practical thing to do.

if you restore it well the first time, then you will probably meet with less parts to fix, later on.
    it's an old car. old parts will need servicing, sooner and sooner.

it's the reason i went the easy way out.
    bumili na lang ako ng mas bagong kotse.
    Last edited by dr. d; November 2nd, 2019 at 08:00 AM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    restoring one is a labor of love.
    i do it because i like to do it, and not because i intend to make significant money by selling it afterward.
    if the objective of the restoration is so's one may have a car to drive, perhaps getting a more recent, already-running vehicle, is the more practical my ip birthday wishes tneb thing to do.

if you restore it well the first time, then you will probably meet with less parts to fix, later on.
    it's an old car. old parts will need servicing, sooner and sooner.

it's the reason i went the easy way out.
    bumili na lang ako ng mas bagong kotse.
    if the objective of the restoration is so's one may have a car to drive, perhaps getting a more recent, already-running vehicle, is the more practical thing to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Is it worth to restore a box-type Lancer?