New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Dudes, each one of us has their own preferences on our cars but for the everyday newly minted driver who's fortunate enough to get a sponsored car from their parents, I don't think going secondhand would be a wise decision unless he actually invests the time to read and know more about cars. Remember that these are your everyday people.. not gearheads like most of us.

First off, congratulations! Welcome to the car club and the college days. Enjoy your allowance while it lasts :naughty2: Anyway.. getting to the point: I believe the most sensible choice would be a brand new compact car from the likes of the Corolla, Civic, Lancer, etc.

If you're drawn to the Lancer, I won't fault you. The 2007's redesign had many drooling over its release way back (even I did). What I would recommend is that you take each car for a test drive. This way, you'll know the character of the car. Of course, many do a leap of faith in simply buying their car by consulting forums. However, I stress that it's your car.. and you should know what you want. You can pour over the specifications of each and every car but only after driving it can you actually know the car. It's like I can describe you how track day is like.. but until you actually race in one, you can only simply imagine. You're talking about a million here.. so better haul your ass and make an appointment.

As much as every testosterone laden male wants a two-door coupe, it's impractical to purchase one as your first car. I know of this is because I'm supposed to be on the line for the 2010 Genesis Coupe before I went for my Sonata. The manual transmission isn't something I can live with everyday going from QC to Taft.

If you're really digging Accords, secondhand ones go for under Php1 million. Investing a few hours of your life reading Tsikot and you'd probably convince Mom to not limit you to brand-new ones.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Kuha ka mini like eon alto and etx. Yung 600k pang chicks. Hahahaj. Kidding aside, each model have an advantage over the other, sa personal preference mo na lang magkakatalo. Ako i like the 2nd gen vios over the new one pero its just me at un lang pasok sa budget ko.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

3. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    New driver? You have to gauge yourself if you are willing to drive a MT during traffic. After answering that, that's when you look at your choices again. Are you looking forward to mod your car?

Might want to take a look at the Elantra. Nice interior, 1.8 variant's fun to drive and looks good.

Or if you can wait, the new Altis and Mazda 3 are coming.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Dudes, each one of us has their own preferences on our cars but for the everyday newly minted driver who's fortunate enough to get a sponsored car from their parents, I don't think going secondhand would be a wise decision unless he actually invests the time to read and know more about cars. Remember that these are your everyday people.. not gearheads like most of us.

First off, congratulations! Welcome to the car club and the college days. Enjoy your allowance while it lasts :naughty2: Anyway.. getting to the point: I believe the most sensible choice would be a brand new compact car from the likes of the Corolla, Civic, Lancer, etc.

If you're drawn to the Lancer, I won't fault you. The 2007's redesign had many drooling over its release way back (even I did). What I would recommend is that you take each car for a test drive. This way, you'll know the character of the car. Of course, many do a leap of faith in simply buying their car by consulting forums. However, I stress that it's your car.. and you should know what you want. You can pour over the specifications of each and every car but only after driving it can you actually know the car. It's like I can describe you how track day is like.. but until you actually race in one, you can only simply imagine. You're talking about a million here.. so better haul your ass and make an appointment.

As much as every testosterone laden male wants a two-door coupe, it's impractical to purchase one as your first car. I know of this is because I'm supposed to be on the line for the 2010 Genesis Coupe before I went for my Sonata. The manual transmission isn't something I can live with everyday going from QC to Taft.

If you're really digging Accords, secondhand ones go for under Php1 million. Investing a few hours of your life reading Tsikot and you'd probably convince Mom to not limit you to brand-new ones.
    Thanks for the input, about the Genesis Coupe, I'm pretty sure they're automatic models available?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    You want Fast, Comfi and will get girls with an 800k budget or less - go get a secondhand BMW Z3 (try the 3.0L engine)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Kung flood prone ang dinadaanan mo...get a 70 series LC Prado instead - do a 3-4" lift and fit it with a 33" mud tires. It won't be as fast as sedan (but if can get those na naka 3.0L engine, salpakan mo lang ng engine chip upgrade yun e hindi ka kayang iwanan ng typical riceboy). Pag dating sa baha, tatawanan mo naman ang mga naka sedan na mabilis

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    When buying secondhand, the more expensive the car was when brand new, the more expensive it'll be to maintain secondhand.

On a student budget, I'd shy away from anything bigger than a Civic or Corolla. Time enough to get your gangsta on after you graduate.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FastForU View Post
    Thanks for the input, about the Genesis Coupe, I'm pretty sure they're automatic models available?
    There are. However I would like that you try to test drive them around muna to see if they're for your taste. Kahit ano gawin mo, "sports cars" are not practical creatures for roaming the metropolis. You worry everything from getting up the 4th floor of North Parking in Trinoma (thanks to the rather steep incline) to avoiding villages with huge humps altogether (ex. Magallanes Village). Your ass is going to be pounded too thanks to the stiff "racing" suspension if you go over our usual bad roads (ex. everytime you pass by EDSA).

*thread
    A secondhand Z3 will absolutely kill the TS when it comes to maintenance. It's gonna be like shelling out a new Macbook AND iPhone every time something breaks down.

I second what niky says. I'd shy away from anything 1M plus. The threadstarter's pretty lucky in a sense that he's in the year of total unit overhauls. The brand new Vios is out and simply modifying a few bits and pieces there makes for a very cool ride (fast forward 4 years and you're like everybody else though). Honda's trying to accelerate the redevelopment of the Civic (thanks to the utter failure of the FB), and a new Altis is out in a few months

9. Join Date
    May 2012
    bili ka ng car na matitipuhan mo mapa sports car o hindi, habang bata ka enjoy mo lang hilig mo
    kung ayaw mo sa mga kabuting kotse tulad ng eon,sparkz, wag mo pilitin hehe
    ano ngayon kung mahirap i drive basta nakuha mo gusto mo, ingat nga lang
    kasi bro pag tanda mo, magsasawa ka din sa mga yan at pipiliin na mag SUV nalang hehe
    pang comfi at safe i drive, pang tatay ba hehe

Wag ka tutulad sa iba na kung kelan na tumanda pati pa nag BMW na 2door or toyota 86 or sports car
    dami ko nakita na ganyan, nagmumukhang driver ng bus nalang sila hehe hindi bagay.

Para sa akin ok na yang choice mo na Lancer ...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Suwerte naman ng TS,- P1M budget for his student car..... Whew!

Times are a changing.....

Enjoy your new ride (whatever it is you choose)..... And more importantly,- safe driving!

20.2K:flush:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast