New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Hey guys so I just turned 18 and I'll be getting my driver's license soon and I was wondering if you guys could help me decide what's the best car for me as I want something that's fast, comfortable (used to cars with leather seats so it's a must!), good looking (to help me get girls haha ) and something that's reliable too as I don't want to get stuck on the side of the road if something breaks down.

I've been looking at the 2013 Lancer but all the different models and engine types etc are really confusing me since I don't really know much about cars when it comes to their technical aspects.

I wouldn't mind buying the cheapest 2013 Lancer I can get then modifying it to fit my needs described above if that would be a good option as the cheapest brand new 2013 Lancer I found on Sulit is more or less P800,000 which would leave me well over P200,000 for mods etc.

I also saw a couple of really nice 2010 Hyundai Genesis coupes in my budget and I'd love to know if that would be a better option compared to the Lancers. I'm not really set on buying a particular car at the moment so feel free to suggest anything you have in mind.

Really looking forward to hearing what you guys think I should do and have yourselves a great night and a wonderful weekend ahead.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Congrats bro! You are much more fortunate than many of us here!

How much is the budget? Is there even a limit? Are you open to 2nd hands? Manuals? Diesel or gas? What's your usual route and number of passengers?

Now, how much driving experience do you have under your belt? If you want something fast, make sure you have the necessary skill to control it. There have been many accidents involving drivers who overestimated their skills. I am ashamed to say that I have experienced this first hand.

Leather seats? I've grown up with them as well. Indeed, they are very nice but also hard to maintain. If you treat it as you would a fabric seat, it would rapidly deteriorate. Check out the 2nd hand Exalta's and Lynx's with leather seats on buy and sell sites. You will have to make sure they aren't overly dry, no excessive heat exposure, they must be conditioned regularly, and it must not be scratched or else the mark will lengthen and eventually tear. For a daily driver, I actually prefer leatherette seat covers instead. They have pretty much all the benefits of leather seats, are relatively inexpensive, and require virtually zero maintenance.

It would seem that the Lancer has caught your eye. If you really like it, then take it. I believe the 1.6M/T should have more than enough punch for you. It's very well spec'd too. Personally, if I were getting one and fuel expenses aren't very important, I'd take a 2nd hand 2.0M/T instead.

The GC isn't very practical for a daily driver. Its quite hard to manuever and park, not to mention the low ground clearance.

If you're into mods, I'd suggest you get a turbo diesel instead. That way you'll be able to get the most power out of relatively simple bolt-on mods. A 2nd hand Focus TDCi or Tucson CRDi would be nice.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Thanks man! :D

As I said my budget is more or less P1,000,000, haha if there wasn't one I'd be driving around in a BMW M6 Gran Coupe (my dream car!) by now, hopefully I'll own one someday. :D

I wouldn't mind a second hand car but I'd prefer a brand-new car to avoid any headaches etc. I'd normally be using this car in and around Alabang taking myself and my sister to school and sometimes driving down to Makati to hang out with friends(as fast as I can down the highway, while staying safe of course!). I think I'd be fine with a coupe since it'll usually be just me and my sister going to and from school but if I get a lancer I could probably fit in a couple of friends so we can cruise around.

I guess a diesel car would be nice since I heard diesel cars cost less to fuel up.

I've never driven a car before so I wouldn't know if a car with a manual or automatic transmission would be the best for me.

Well I have next to none, I'll be heading off to driving school before I buy my car so hopefully I can get some experience under my belt. I know and I'm a pretty cautious person by nature so I'll try not to crash my baby into a tree haha.

Yeah our X5 had heated and leather seats which were VERY COMFORTABLE! But let's get real here I doubt we'd find a car at my budget with things like that haha.

Well I do like the Lancer but I'm open to other options as well and all the different models of the Lancer has me very confused and I'd just like to get the best value for money. I'll look over the 1.6M/T model and I'll get back to you.

Hmm I'm not really into the Tuscon as I find it really ugly and cheap looking, the Focus looks like a nice option but I'm not really too fond of hatchbacks, I don't know why but I just don't find them attractive.

All I really want is something that's comfortable and really fun to drive (and fast enough to tear through the highway when I want to).

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

4. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    you might want to look at Lancer EX MX variant. it's automatic and you won't have a hard time learning how to drive one. and in my opinion, lancer is the best car to install mods on.

a friendly advice, you're just about to learn how to drive, you are still young, don't push any vehicle you might opt to buy to the limit of being fast. It's better to be careful than sorry. and remember that anyone who is inside your car is your responsibility so take care of them while you are driving.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Nissan GT-R R32. 600k. Yung 400k pang mods. Tapos rezing rezing. Dapat bawat stoplight ikaw pinakamabilis. Sibakin mo lahat ng papatol.
    But seriously, you're oozing with the typical invulnerability that teens feel. Hinay hinay lang.

BTT: Kia Forte Koup, bnew 948k lang.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Wow!~ X5! I see you're pretty loaded... By the looks of it, you're the sort that wouldn't be worrying about fuel expenses at all!

Since this is your first car, in my opinion it is actually better to get a 2nd hand car. That way, it won't hurt as much if you id manage to break something. And then in the long run, if something does break down, you get to learn more about car maintenance and upkeep. I'd suggest something that's just around 1-2 years old though, that way its much cheaper than brand new, having gotten off the initial depreciation but still not overly used.

As for the Focus, if you're not into hatches there is a sedan TDCi variant like this one: FORD FOCUS : 2011 Ford Focus Sedan TDCi Diesel Automatic Philippines - 12265696
    The Focus's TDCi engine is very receptive of mods. With less than 100k spent on mods, you'd be smoking V6's, and consuming half as much fuel!

Or, you can consider going for a midsize sedan as well! Late 2000s Accord and Camry V6's go for less than 1M nowadays. Then there's the Sonata too. Very nice car indeed.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    get an evo 7 or 8.
    or a second hand impreza.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Wow!~ X5! I see you're pretty loaded... By the looks of it, you're the sort that wouldn't be worrying about fuel expenses at all!

Since this is your first car, in my opinion it is actually better to get a 2nd hand car. That way, it won't hurt as much if you id manage to break something. And then in the long run, if something does break down, you get to learn more about car maintenance and upkeep. I'd suggest something that's just around 1-2 years old though, that way its much cheaper than brand new, having gotten off the initial depreciation but still not overly used.

As for the Focus, if you're not into hatches there is a sedan TDCi variant like this one: FORD FOCUS : 2011 Ford Focus Sedan TDCi Diesel Automatic Philippines - 12265696
    The Focus's TDCi engine is very receptive of mods. With less than 100k spent on mods, you'd be smoking V6's, and consuming half as much fuel!

Or, you can consider going for a midsize sedan as well! Late 2000s Accord and Camry V6's go for less than 1M nowadays. Then there's the Sonata too. Very nice car indeed.
    My mother will be paying for the car and she's very picky and she'd prefer it if I got a brand-new car instead of a second hand one.

Thanks I'll look into it.

I love the look of the Accords.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Ask for another million and get a Toyota 86 or a BRZ.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    oh youre also from Alabang, have fun with your car, the streets are full of nice drivers in this area (when you get out its a different story, I study in UST and going home feels like goimg to another country)
    I woudnt recommend getting an uber fast car, its a bit dangerous at our age, people will just tailgate you for doing the speedlimit in the skyway, If you do get a fast car, you should get training in Tuason Racing

Youre used to BMWs, have you rummaged through the CPO BMWs? you might be able to get a 2-3 year old 1 series for that much, Its not dangerously fast, it drives brilliantly, its cool, its actually safer than many other cars

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast