New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Its not that the AT is more popular and more widespread that it should be made cheaper, the components of AT (aka the raw materials) is still more expensive than MT.
    i think not. ang nagdidictate naman ng kung ano ang cheaper is kung ano ang mass produced or mass demand

like for example, CRT vs. LCD. di hamak na mas madaming parts kailangan for a CRT to work unlike sa LCD. LCD is still more expensive kasi nga mas bago technology but in the long run mapapakamot ulo ng lang mga display manufacturers why LCD was not invented sooner. sa shipping lang tindi ng gastos to carry heavier and bigger loads, add to that the support for CRT.

that goes the same with Manual Transmission. mas madami pa complicated parts to ponder than an AT na parang isang module na sinaksaksak na lang sa sasakyan

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I guess we will never know the real production costs the car companies incur in making AT or MT cars. But for sure I am basing my statements that AT is more expensive than MT if the transmission gets damaged or needs an overhaul. Base on that assumption, I am also estimating it will cost the car companies more to make an AT than MT.... But as I said I don't have hard facts on the actual costs the car companies incur on making the transmissions.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Okey naman.

Perhaps this is a little off the mark, but my dad owned a couple of Benzes second-hand with automatic transmissions. One of them was a "pontoon" 280S from 1969. The other was a 1980s 190E. No complaints from the gearboxes while we had them.

that goes the same with Manual Transmission. mas madami pa complicated parts to ponder than an AT na parang isang module na sinaksaksak na lang sa sasakyan
    What's to stop you from doing the exact same thing with a manual gearbox?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    go ahead and buy an A/t
    its pretty reliable these days and tranny repair shops and surplus shops are abound

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    both our cars are automatic a lancer 97 and civic 99. never nasira, execellent shifting hangang ngayon

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    The PROS of AT having been said, MT STILL gives you better throttle response and speed control. Try asking the AT to move an inch, stop for 15 seconds, then go again without going over, and it'll take several tries even by the driver who usually drives it. Now do a similar exercise for 2 feet and try to do it ng hindi mabagal (dahil lulusutan ka ng tricycle). The CVT's will have much better throttle response but speed control is still an issue, methinks. So sa AT ka man maglanding, learning MT is just plain good sense.Malaki na ang inimprove ng AT lalo sa response at sa reliability. Pero mas efficient pa din pati kung MT ka ... unless CVT ha.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    The PROS of AT having been said, MT STILL gives you better throttle response and speed control. Try asking the AT to move an inch, stop for 15 seconds, then go again without going over, and it'll take several tries even by the driver who usually drives it. Now do a similar exercise for 2 feet and try to do it ng hindi mabagal (dahil lulusutan ka ng tricycle).
    I've been in tight parking spots with an A/T Subbie Impreza (while in Japan). In fact, the old red hatch I posted a pic of somewhere here was an A/T.

An A/T car has no problems being precise. For moving an inch or so, I let the brakes go just enough to move an inch. Of course, there should be a spotter guiding the driver (in my case, I did).

If I'm not mistaken, you have the modulate the clutch with a M/T** (similar to letting go of the brakes in an A/T) because there's no way you can move that inch without doing so. Otherwise, you'll overdo it. If you overdo it, then your left foot will also have to worry about the brakes in addition to the clutch plus your right hand on the stick.

**You also need to have your right foot on the gas so the car won't stall.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 25th, 2008 at 07:09 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I do not see any big issue or concern in driving an A/T car nowadays. They were able to tame the technology real well during the past few years and ride is now smoother and more controllable. Although, I must admit that my heart goes for the M/T rides.....

And with so much chips in the car?.... It is just an extra PCB(?).....

5505:home:

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    i bought an automatic honda civic esi a few years ago(2nd hand) and didnt get any problems ... but for your case i suggest learning MT muna then buy an AT...

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i think hindi naman yung AT transmission per se ang problem when buying 2nd hand. the culprit would most likely be the ECU running the AT for most modern cars. personnally i wouldn't be afraid to get a second hand AT car as long as madetermine na ok ang initial or purchase condition at hindi binarubal ang paggamit or replacement ang mga pinalit na parts. it's a 2nd hand car so don't expect it to be perfect.

i don't mind driving a manual. consider it na lang as a 'healthy' way to drive coz it would be like walking for a couple of miles a day. :D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Is it ok to buy 2nd-hand A/T cars?