New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    As they say maintaing a car is like supporting a child, sa gas and maintainance expense mas economical to take the taxi. But nothing will ever beat the comfort of having your own car. Hindi mo na kailangan makipagsiksikan sa MRT, immune ka na sa mga isnabero and sometimes mang gugulang na taxi drivers, safety and security, and not to mention having absolute freedom in choosing what would be the soundtract of your travel, hindi ka stuck sa Love radio(peace).

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    There are also safety and security issues with driving your own car. Having your own car is more of a convenience if once can afford to have one.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Sunk costs (in general):

Depreciation - P100K per year (first few years)
    Insurance - P20K per year
    Gasoline - P6K per month (dependent on usage)
    Maintenance - P8K per year (first few years - dependent on usage)

So cost per month is ((100K+20K)/12 + 6K + 8K) = P24K per month - so approx P1K per day,- regular office (weekdays)....

So, parang nagta-taxi ka everyday...

16.7K:weathermanf2:>:sampay:

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkosero View Post
    pag brand new at wala pa mileage, then we get the actual cost of the car as the cost per km.

we can equate the "newness" of the car based on its mileage. i did not factor the depreciation in the computation to keep things simple.
    Hard to add depreciation unless you have a set mileage per month. My estimate is simply PMS and insurance and registration.

In the thread starter's case, at 1000 per month... assume a brand new subcompact or supermini doing 10 km/l in mixed traffic. Assume 20% per year (typical for companies to assume 20% right? Then throw away the car in the fifth year or offer to sell it to the employee? )...

That's 20 pesos per km for a brand new Vios, and about 15 per km for a 2005 (assuming 350k purchase price).

Wala pa diyan tires... but at 12k per year, maybe four or five years before you need tires. Maybe save 50 centavos per kilometer if you get cheaper insurance... but can only do that with secondhand car where you're not locked in to dealership insurance.

So roughly 15-20k per month in liabilities with a fuel-efficient subcompact. But that's virtual. Depreciation is not something you pay out of pocket. It's just what you lose from the purchase price.

What you'll feel is 8-9k per month in expenses. If you take a taxi five days a week, that's only 7k per month. And without the lost opportunity cost of having bought a car that will lose 100-150k pesos in value over five years.

Of course... it's much nicer to have a car. But if you want to save... take a jeep or walk.
    Last edited by niky; August 23rd, 2012 at 09:51 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    and don't forget about parking fees. car wash. car wax. that new seat cover since you don't want the smell of the one that came with the car. air freshener. new floor mats. rain gutters. new tint. new 2 din dvd/mp3/ipod with bluetooth head unit with 7 inch touch screen with gps. bling-blings.

that new sports sunglasses you just have to get to complete the look.

and if you're the type, the wind and solar powered laundry drier at the back they call wings.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    and years ago i told my friends i don't need a car. it's like a drug, really. not just habit forming, it's much much worst.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    If you have a family of your own with kids, a car is a must have. Saka convenience nga. Go anywhere anytime without having to worry about how you're going to get there. Basta may pang gas larga na

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If you're used to a certain quality of life... yes. If not:

When I stayed in Taiwan a while back, even upper-middle class families rode motorbikes everywhere. Together. Left the cars at home. That could be done in the Philippines quite easily if we didn't have to share the road with idiots in trucks all the time... if our highway systems were constructed so trucks could bypass towns completely.

But here in the Philippines, since we were an American colony, we got into car addiction early. Now, instead of having helmet-wearing white-collars driving motorbikes around, we instead have slipper-wearing hoodlums zipping in and out of traffic, giving riders everywhere a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    and years ago i told my friends i don't need a car. it's like a drug, really. not just habit forming, it's much much worst.
    Hahaha... mismo!
    Last edited by niky; August 23rd, 2012 at 12:48 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Deleted post. (Couldn't find delete post in Tapatalk).
    Last edited by Walter; August 23rd, 2012 at 05:29 PM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Sunk costs (in general):

Depreciation - P100K per year (first few years)
    Insurance - P20K per year
    Gasoline - P6K per month (dependent on usage)
    Maintenance - P8K per year (first few years - dependent on usage)

So cost per month is ((100K+20K)/12 + 6K + 8K) = P24K per month - so approx P1K per day,- regular office (weekdays)....
    Um, why did you add the 8T annual maintenance to the monthly cost?
    It should be ((100T + 20T + 8T) / 12) + 6T = 16,666.67.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast