New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kebloks View Post
    I would recommend a 2011-2012 Honda City. You can find a 300k for that. Much more fuel efficient with the same reliability.

But if you are the type who hauls cabinets, tables, chairs every now and then, Escape is your choice. Also, if you don't want to be worried about potholes, curbs and floods.
    Me and husband has been going back and forth into deciding if we should get a sedan (fuel efficiency is no question) or a CUV. He tells me we should get a sedan, but CUVs have almost the same price kasi on the 2nd hand market. Kaya I am the one pushing na we get CUV kasi in terms of comfort, much better naman.

For now, we will be using the car only on weekend, and siguro some Friday nights. Kaya I think hindi masyadong issue for us yung gas. But, please correct me if I'm wrong.

What I am mostly worried about is the cost of maintenance, cost of parts replacement and baka mahirap hanapin yung parts. Pero based on what I am reading dito sa forum mukhang ok naman daw. Although not as abundant as the japs.

But you know better than me sir, since you are a first-hand owner. Please share some of your experience in terms of maintenance, its costs at kung saan may magaling (at mura) na gumagawa.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I personally own a 2012 Escape, around 60K odo.

The only problem I got so far is the engine support. Watch out for vibrating steering wheel when idle.

Yeah it's a guzzler, 5-6 km/L city driving and only 9 km/L highway driving.
    Agree sa engine support. Heavy vibration when at "D" but not moving. Can be extremely irritating. IIRC I replaced 4 supports in the 06 Tribute. Hindi naman siya sobrang kamahalan (few thousand per piece) at nahanap naman agad, I think, from Mazford. Smooth as silk again immediately after replacement.

*TS: minor changes only throughout its model run from 2003-2013. 2004 and above models have the 2.3 engine. IIRC 2007 and above models have VVT, though how much improvement there is because of it, if any, I don't know. Last facelift was 2009, but was purely cosmetic. Ground clearance is good, I've climbed around half foot tall sidewalks with it without scraping anything and suspension is actually off road worthy. However, wading depth is not very good due to very low air intake placement.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Any tip for pros and cons, thinking of buying Honda Civic 2014-2016, what should I be careful at in choosing one? Mejo brokenhearted na ko to buy the VW Santana Madaming nagdidiscourage sa 'kin.. So opted to buy Civic.. Any tips mga sir? TIA!

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesvv79 View Post
    Any tip for pros and cons, thinking of buying Honda Civic 2014-2016, what should I be careful at in choosing one? Mejo brokenhearted na ko to buy the VW Santana Madaming nagdidiscourage sa 'kin.. So opted to buy Civic.. Any tips mga sir? TIA!

what discouraging words have you heard about the santana?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    what discouraging words have you heard about the santana?
    Baka daw kasi made in China. Hahaha

The Civic is a class higher than the Santana. The Lavida is VW’s competitor to the Civic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mylesvv79 View Post

2014 to 2016? I guess you're talking about the civic FB (2012 - 2016). For me, yung looks lang kaya discouraged din ako bumili nito considering how sportylooking it's previous generation was(civic FD)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by theripley View Post
    Me and husband has been going back and forth into deciding if we should get a sedan (fuel efficiency is no question) or a CUV. He tells me we should get a sedan, but CUVs have almost the same price kasi on the 2nd hand market. Kaya I am the one pushing na we get CUV kasi in terms of comfort, much better naman.

For now, we will be using the car only on weekend, and siguro some Friday nights. Kaya I think hindi masyadong issue for us yung gas. But, please correct me if I'm wrong.

What I am mostly worried about is the cost of maintenance, cost of parts replacement and baka mahirap hanapin yung parts. Pero based on what I am reading dito sa forum mukhang ok naman daw. Although not as abundant as the japs.

But you know better than me sir, since you are a first-hand owner. Please share some of your experience in terms of maintenance, its costs at kung saan may magaling (at mura) na gumagawa.
    sedans are usually more comfortable. unless you are on the biggie size.
    you should try out your candidates.

if i were worried about maintenance and repair, i would also be concerned with the fuel expenses.
    unless, someone else is paying for the fuel.
    but diesel usually spews out more pollutant.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by theripley View Post

300k is good deal for a weekend car. You can buy another car in 3 years.

Here's my story:

It's 2014, bought a 2012 Escape 2nd hand on it's 2nd year with 35K odo. Don't know anything about cars back then. It's a transferred company car so I have to service it in the casa for next 3 years. Based on the casa records, no parts were replaced.

The next 3 years, the car is just for weekends since work is at a walking distance away. With 5k monthly gas allowance, family went everywhere in Luzon just to consume those. Gas allowance doesn't get carried over the next month. It's difficult to consume 5k on a weekend car back then when prices are relatively low. During rainy season, car will just sit there for 1 month.

Only serviced the car once a year at around 8K km interval. So I don't mind the expensive casa service which I later knew by browsing in tsikot. The ATF fluid change is the most expensive. Sorry, I forgot the prices.

It's 2015, aircon began to stink. Got hold of a service manual. Did a DIY. I just poked a water hose in the evaporator and flushed all the dirt out.

It's 2016, casa recommends to replace the engine support. Quite expensive so I have to live with the vibrating steering wheel for another year. It's a weekend car anyway.

It's 2017, replaced the ending support at powertorq congressional. That's the only major problem I had with the car. It's no longer a company car so I can service it outside the casa.

It's 2018. Bought a VW Jetta Gave the Escape to my father.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Hi guys, patulong po sa pagbili ng 2nd hand car, bali magiging 1st car ko siya pero may 2 cars na kami pero mga magulang ko nagmamay ari.
    I prefer automatic dahil mostly city driving (commonwealth - ayala). I have 300-400k budget (the lower, the better). I'm looking into fuel consumption/space/looks/maintenance cost.

Currently, ito ang choices ko: City 2009 and Jazz 2009. Pasok rin sa budget ko ang Civic FD pero ayon sa mga nabasa ko mataas ang gas consumption niya. May nakita rin akong mga Santa Fe na 2007-08 na worth 450k pero labas na siya sa budget at di ko alam kung good deal yung mga ganun. Nagbasa nako sa forums and still torn parin ako sa city and jazz. Gusto ko kasi sa jazz is yung FC and yung magic seats (we'll never know when we need a spacious rear space) pero naliliitan ako sa size niya. May nabasa rin akong issue sa mga CVT hondas so nagdadalawang isip na rin ako kung yan ang mga bibilhin ko.
    Need some tips guys. Thanks

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    300k is good deal for a weekend car. You can buy another car in 3 years.

Here's my story:

It's 2014, bought a 2012 Escape 2nd hand on it's 2nd year with 35K odo. Don't know anything about cars back then. It's a transferred company car so I have to service it in the casa for next 3 years. Based on the casa records, no parts were replaced.

The next 3 years, the car is just for weekends since work is at a walking distance away. With 5k monthly gas allowance, family went everywhere in Luzon just to consume those. Gas allowance doesn't get carried over the next month. It's difficult to consume 5k on a weekend car back then when prices are relatively low. During rainy season, car will just sit there for 1 month.

Only serviced the car once a year at around 8K km interval. So I don't mind the expensive casa service which I later knew by browsing in tsikot. The ATF fluid change is the most expensive. Sorry, I forgot the prices.

It's 2015, aircon began to stink. Got hold of a service manual. Did a DIY. I just poked a water hose in the evaporator and flushed all the dirt out.

It's 2016, casa recommends to replace the engine support. Quite expensive so I have to live with the vibrating steering wheel for another year. It's a weekend car anyway.

It's 2017, replaced the ending support at powertorq congressional. That's the only major problem I had with the car. It's no longer a company car so I can service it outside the casa.

It's 2018. Bought a VW Jetta Gave the Escape to my father.
    that's not a bad deal at all.
    but, i would not have waited to have that support fixed.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast