New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2018
    Mga sirs, pahingi naman po ako ng link dun sa thread kung saan merong mga tips for buying second hand cars.

After 48 years kasi (hehehe), we finally decided which car we will buy. We are planning to check it by this coming saturday, June 02.

I have also been watching chrisfix on youtube lately. Kaya lang hindi ako sure if lahat nung checklist niya applicable for Philippine car (clueless). May instrument kasi siyang OBDII, which I am not sure if lahat ng mekaniko meron (clueless).

Kaya gusto ko rin mabasa yung tips coming from owners here in the Phils.

Thank you in advance.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by theripley View Post
    Mga sirs, pahingi naman po ako ng link dun sa thread kung saan merong mga tips for buying second hand cars.

After 48 years kasi (hehehe), we finally decided which car we will buy. We are planning to check it by this coming saturday, June 02.

I have also been watching chrisfix on youtube lately. Kaya lang hindi ako sure if lahat nung checklist niya applicable for Philippine car (clueless). May instrument kasi siyang OBDII, which I am not sure if lahat ng mekaniko meron (clueless).

Kaya gusto ko rin mabasa yung tips coming from owners here in the Phils.

Thank you in advance.
    There is not a single thread that contains all the tips for buying 2nd hand cars kasi. It would be best for you to Google search them. You'd learn a lot of tips and what to look out for with many different cars in the many different threads.

Not a lot of mechanics have scanners here. And those that do often charge quite a bit for a scan. Besides, it is quite rare that something would turn up in a scan, especially if there is no check engine light at all.

What car have you decided on, by the way?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post

What car have you decided on, by the way?

We are planning to buy a ford escape 2012 model.

Sige po sir, I will try to google na lang dito the forum.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    We are planning to buy a ford escape 2012 model.

Sige po sir, I will try to google na lang dito the forum.

Thanks for the reply.
    While we have had a decent experience with the 2010 Escape 2.3 (bought brand new) when we still had residence in Taiwan, the same cannot be said of the 2006 Mazda Tribute 2.3 (bought 2nd hand) in the Philippines. Probably due to the vastly different traffic conditions, the Escape regularly does 9km/L city in provincial Taiwanese traffic, but the Tribute does a dismal 4km/L here.

Power is more than adequate. Some family members have reported doing 190km/h on it. Transmission is kind of dumb, and I personally find it sorely lacking in gears and/or could use better gear ratios. Cabin is very solid and offers excellent NVH. Handling and ride quality are decent enough. A/C is frigidly cold. Though with the Tribute, we've had to replace both compressor and evaporator. All engine supports have been replaced. I experienced overheating problems which was finally localized to an intermittently failing aux fan. With all the problems we experienced with the Tribute, I personally believe that it was a lemon unit! Link to tips on buying second hand cars

5. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    While we have had a decent experience with the 2010 Escape 2.3 (bought brand new) when we still had residence in Taiwan, the same cannot be said of the 2006 Mazda Tribute 2.3 (bought 2nd hand) in the Philippines. Probably due to the vastly different traffic conditions, the Escape regularly does 9km/L city in provincial Taiwanese traffic, but the Tribute does a dismal 4km/L here.

Power is more than adequate. Some family members have reported doing 190km/h on it. Transmission is kind of dumb, and I personally find it sorely lacking in gears and/or could use better gear ratios. Cabin is very solid and offers excellent NVH. Handling and ride quality are decent enough. A/C is frigidly cold. Though with the Tribute, we've had to replace both compressor and evaporator. All engine supports have been replaced. I experienced overheating problems which was finally localized to an intermittently failing aux fan. With all the problems we experienced with the Tribute, I personally believe that it was a lemon unit! Link to tips on buying second hand cars

Sad to hear your experience with second hand car sir. I hope we can get a good car, within our budget.

I personally have no know-how on car mechanics, and so is my husband. This site offers great help for people like us.

Some would say better buy a new car, especially we are a newbie. But unfortunately our budget does not permit We would not choose to buy a car considering all the expenses like gas and maintenance to name a few, but we really need one now.

Hence, we hope to get a good deal with a good car and a great owner.

Sorry for the long post.

Last long post na po ito hehehe

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Sad to hear your experience with second hand car sir. I hope we can get a good car, within our budget.

I personally have no know-how on car mechanics, and so is my husband. This site offers great help for people like us.

Some would say better buy a new car, especially we are a newbie. But unfortunately our budget does not permit We would not choose to buy a car considering all the expenses like gas and maintenance to name a few, but we really need one now.

Hence, we hope to get a good deal with a good car and a great owner.

Sorry for the long post.

Last long post na po ito hehehe
    Long posts are fine. We're all here to share and learn after all.

I believe that 2nd hand cars are not always headaches. They can oftentimes actually save us a lot of money, as long as we pick the right car. Like you, we often have to make do with used cars but most of them were actually a joy to have. My mantra has always been, you take care of the car, the car takes care of you.

How much is the budget, and what are the options?

7. Join Date
    May 2018
    Our budget is 300k maximum.

The escape we found is actually in good condition, based on its specs and pictures. Since it has been used as personal/ family car I believe it is well taken cared of.

Prior to seeing the escape, we were eyeing on a sedan na Ford fiesta 2011. It is lady-owned, and the owner seems really, really nice. Pero upon learning the problem of powershift tranny, natakot kami ng husband ko.

We tried looking for japs cars kaya lang resale value is really high for Toyotas and Hondas, even Sedan. You can find mura pero sobrang lumang model na rin, running 11-12 years na rin. Meron din Nissan Sentra, pero we find it too "oldie" looking (no offense po sa mga sentra owners).

Finally, we found the Escape. I told my husband na yun na lang kunin namin. Since we will be using it only on weekends, no issue sa amin yung gas consumption.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    There's a reason why Toyotas and Hondas have high resale values ... reliability and parts availability ... buying an old Ford might give you heart attacks ...

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Our budget is 300k maximum.

The escape we found is actually in good condition, based on its specs and pictures. Since it has been used as personal/ family car I believe it is well taken cared of.

Prior to seeing the escape, we were eyeing on a sedan na Ford fiesta 2011. It is lady-owned, and the owner seems really, really nice. Pero upon learning the problem of powershift tranny, natakot kami ng husband ko.

We tried looking for japs cars kaya lang resale value is really high for Toyotas and Hondas, even Sedan. You can find mura pero sobrang lumang model na rin, running 11-12 years na rin. Meron din Nissan Sentra, pero we find it too "oldie" looking (no offense po sa mga sentra owners).

Finally, we found the Escape. I told my husband na yun na lang kunin namin. Since we will be using it only on weekends, no issue sa amin yung gas consumption.
    With all that I've experienced, I can't in good conscience fully recommend an Escape. What I can say is that parts are available in Metro Manila. Being pretty much unchanged for a decade long run, mechanics are familiar with it and its quirks. If in good condition, it is very pleasant to drive. Highway consumption is pretty good if you keep within a reasonable pace. Suspension is very sturdy and can take a good beating. Just beware of the problems I mentioned earlier.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Better stick sa car brand na madaming available na parts and mechanic.

Gusto ko din yung ford escape dati. Na drive ko yung 2012 escape ng kapatid ko and talagang nagustuhan ko. Akala ko ang babagal ng mga sasakyan sa slex, yung pala overspeeding na ako (150kph). High score sa NVH.

Sabi din ng mga mekaniko na nakausap ko mahirap daw yung escape.

Nag settle ako sa mas luma na crv.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast