New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Let's just say the vehicle serve you well...you like its performance...and its well maintained through the years...enough making a "buddy" out of it..

How many years can you hold on to it? 10,15,20 years...before difficulties set in in finding parts?

When is the best time to let go a car? Btw, not after resale value...

1989 nissan auster (local: maxima) 2.0X (carb).. computin mo nalang ilang taon na.

daming hardship, trials and pinagsamahan namin ng kotse na to, parang parte na ng buhay ko.. pero its up to when or me kung kelangan na bitawan siya... pero di ako makaka desisyon nun.....naka-pangalan to sa nanay ko noh! sriuosly, as the owner, alam mo yun...

since nearing its 20th year, siyempre lalabas ulit mga pang 10th year aches...which is due for another major restoration...

plus sa maintenance palang ng kotse vs. resale cost, lugi na....logically ako, i'll just restore nalang, atleast may kotse akong ginagamit(despite boring 5000/year on registration) and baka in the future, well, mag-hold/appreciate na din value nito... may show car pa ako to be admired of...my week-end/holiday car nalang... ba bibihira merong 1989 maxima lalo na ngayon hehehe...

mura lang naman bumili ng donor car, lao na yung un-registered units na kumpleto pa trimmings..

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Let's see......

An old 1976 Trans Am....... 2 years. I kept wearing out the tires every couple of months even though I couldn't afford them back then. $300 each at early 80's prices.

1986 Nissan Pulsar - 5 years. Got rid of it because of it's wimpy 55hp.

1991 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo - 16 years. Loved it especially after the HKS Stage 4 mod which was 281bhp for a 2700 lbs car. Wife didn't like it though. I signed it over to my nephew along with 2 very low-mileage 4G63 turbo engines and other parts.

1995 Ford Contour SE (aka Mondeo V6) - 13 years. We still have it. Wife loves it. But we need a bigger vehicle because of another addition to the family.

1997 Dodge Grand Caravan SE - 8 years. What a hunkajunk (mainly with the 8th year).

2006 Hyundai Sonata 3.3 V6. 3 years so far. Problem-free up to this point besides the dents and scratches caused by our eldest daughter. Hopefully, the Sonata will continue be problem-free and become her first car. He He.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Nice topic

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if it's a pretty high volume production car, parts will be available indefinitely. there are still plenty of parts available for 70's and 80's BMW, Mercedes, Chevy and Ford, for example. plus with the low cost of labor in the RP it won't break your budget to make major repairs, replace body panels, etc.

so i would say with the proper care you can keep it close to forever. 20 years is definitely very doable. just make sure you educate yourself about proper car care, and your model specifically.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    doobidoobidoo

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The true definition of a family car, is one that stays in the family, for generations to come. My 1983 300D was my grandma's from 1983 to 2004, and from then on it was mine. Our 1990 300TE, however, was purchased from somebody else, but it's been very good so far considering its mileage, condition and age. We've taken both cars on 1,000 mile trips and not one of them had a single problem, apart from the fact that they still wanted to keep going, but the drivers could not.

I'm willing to bet both cars will stay with us for a very long time.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    The true definition of a family car, is one that stays in the family, for generations to come. My 1983 300D was my grandma's from 1983 to 2004, and from then on it was mine. Our 1990 300TE, however, was purchased from somebody else, but it's been very good so far considering its mileage, condition and age. We've taken both cars on 1,000 mile trips and not one of them had a single problem, apart from the fact that they still wanted to keep going, but the drivers could not.

I'm willing to bet both cars will stay with us for a very long time.
    As they say:

" You don't own a Mercedes-Benz, you're merely looking after it for the next generations to come"

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    still up and running with more than 1 mil km on its odometer.

5th generation 1980 Mazda 323 1.3L sedan. My dad originally brought from Japan and has stayed in over 14 countries(well-traveled). Big sentimental value to my family. It was still running very smooth when we brought it here to the Phils until the dreaded mandatory left-hand drive conversion. Nasira na lahat. Kulang ang steering, sira ang dashboard, na grasa ng mga mechanics yung seats..etc. Other than that, it's still running but it needs a major facelift and a lively new powertrain..... 4G63 turbo?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Sa akin matagal na ang 3 years sa sports car, lalo na kung may nakita akong mas maporma at affordable ang next monthly payment. Ang family VAN naman ay 10 to 12 years ang average na itinatagal sa amin!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
How many years can you hold on to a particular car model?