New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    About to trade in my old car for a new one. The new one is a 2014 Kia Sportage.

1. The new car has been registered this year when I checked via LTO's SMS verification system.
    Here's the screenshot: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

2. But when I checked the registration certificate, iba yung year nya.
    2017 yung year sa certificate AND 2018 naman yung year sa receipt and LTO SMS.

3. The plate number in the certificate also looks weird.
    - Walang letters, only numbers. Every other detail in the certicate and receipt matches though.

Here's the screenshot for 2 and 3: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Can anyone please explain the date and plate number difference? Is this legit?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Have you checked the conduction sticker? Might be that plate number was not available during 2017.(not sure).... or better yet as lto for that information (this is sure)....

Else get another vehicle if you’re in doubt...

3. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    1. Car is 2014 and is registered already this year
    2. Car was transferred to current owner last year so the new certificate of registration states 2017. The date of first registration was 2014
    3. Perhaps during the first registration it wasn't issued a plate number yet hence the digits only

The certificate of registration and official receipt dates will not really match if a vehicle is registered yearly. A car bought in 2015, for example, will have that date on the certificate but will have an updated date on the official receipt as long as the registration is current. If you're buying that now and will have the title transferred to your name, the new certificate of registration will have 2018 as the new date

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_noel View Post
    Have you checked the conduction sticker? Might be that plate number was not available during 2017.(not sure).... or better yet as lto for that information (this is sure)....

Else get another vehicle if you’re in doubt...

Thanks for your input! Could conduction stickers be ALL numbers (no letters) by any chance?
    Check this screenshot: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Also about the dates, LTO SMS and receipt says it was renewed May of this year.
    But the certificate shows May of last year. So I'm confused.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by thephantom View Post
    1. Car is 2014 and is registered already this year
    2. Car was transferred to current owner last year so the new certificate of registration states 2017. The date of first registration was 2014
    3. Perhaps during the first registration it wasn't issued a plate number yet hence the digits only

The certificate of registration and official receipt dates will not really match if a vehicle is registered yearly. A car bought in 2015, for example, will have that date on the certificate but will have an updated date on the official receipt as long as the registration is current. If you're buying that now and will have the title transferred to your name, the new certificate of registration will have 2018 as the new date

OMG this was so helpful! Thank you! A few more questions for you (if you don't mind).

- I'm curious, what made you say the car was "transferred" to a current owner? Do you mean it's second-hand?

- The dealership told me "first owner" yung owner. So I assumed the certificate shows the car was bought 2014 and renewed after 3 years (2017) by the same person. Am I wrong to assume that?

- Ahh, this makes sense. Another member told me baka daw Conduction Sticker. But I think Conduction Stickers have both letters and numbers.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by erizzy View Post
    OMG this was so helpful! Thank you! A few more questions for you (if you don't mind).

- I'm curious, what made you say the car was "transferred" to a current owner? Do you mean it's second-hand?

- The dealership told me "first owner" yung owner. So I assumed the certificate shows the car was bought 2014 and renewed after 3 years (2017) by the same person. Am I wrong to assume that?

- Ahh, this makes sense. Another member told me baka daw Conduction Sticker. But I think Conduction Stickers have both letters and numbers.
    I may be wrong on the assumption that it's a second owner. Perhaps it was financed last '14 then after the full payment of say 3 years there was another CR issued that removes the "encumbered" notation already hence the '17 CR. If memory serves me right, when buying a car through financing the first registration shows which bank or company it's encumbered to. This is why the dealer said the current owner is still the first owner. I don't want to sound arrogant but I've not tried financing yet so I can't say for sure. I just remembered seeing those lines in some of the CR of vehicles I look at. In any case, try to ask more on the history. Hope this helps in any way.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    the car was encumbered.. kaya nung pinatanggal yung encumbered nung matapos bayaran.. nag issue nang bagong Certificate of Registration.. kaya 2017 ang nakalagay na date sa CR.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    I may be wrong on the assumption that it's a second owner. Perhaps it was financed last '14 then after the full payment of say 3 years there was another CR issued that removes the "encumbered" notation already hence the '17 CR. If memory serves me right, when buying a car through financing the first registration shows which bank or company it's encumbered to. This is why the dealer said the current owner is still the first owner. I don't want to sound arrogant but I've not tried financing yet so I can't say for sure. I just remembered seeing those lines in some of the CR of vehicles I look at. In any case, try to ask more on the history. Hope this helps in any way.

Ahh, that could possibly explain it. Thanks so much for your insight, thephantom! Now, I know which questions to ask the owner and the dealer before signing the Deed of Sale.

One last question: I read online Transfer of Ownership isn't required as long as you have the Deed of Sale. Is this true? After purchase, can I directly register the car under my name or I should I wait until May next year when it's due?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by erizzy View Post
    Ahh, that could possibly explain it. Thanks so much for your insight, thephantom! Now, I know which questions to ask the owner and the dealer before signing the Deed of Sale.

One last question: I read online Transfer of Ownership isn't required as long as you have the Deed of Sale. Is this true? After purchase, can I directly register the car under my name or I should I wait until May next year when it's due?

It's better to have it transferred to your name as soon as you can but a lot of people actually don't anymore and just carry the deed of sale. I, myself, am guilty of that as I still have one vehicle that I got second hand that's still under the owner's name and it's been more than a decade already. However, it should be a good practice to finish the transaction completely, thus until having the car under your name. It's up to you if you want to wait til next year to finally do it to save you from additional trips to the lto since it's already registered for this year. Still, if any untoward incident happens to the car from the time you bought it until you have it transferred, you may need to contact the owner so there's still that hassle.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2018
    It's better to have it transferred to your name as soon as you can but a lot of people actually don't anymore and just carry the deed of sale. I, myself, am guilty of that as I still have one vehicle that I got second hand that's still under the owner's name and it's been more than a decade already. However, it should be a good practice to finish the transaction completely, thus until having the car under your name. It's up to you if you want to wait til next year to finally do it to save you from additional trips to the lto since it's already registered for this year. Still, if any untoward incident happens to the car from the time you bought it until you have it transferred, you may need to contact the owner so there's still that hassle.

Thanks so much for all your help today, thephantom! No joke, dami ko natutunan. And will push through with the trade-in now. [emoji16]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Help! Car is registered this year, but Certificate and Receipt info don't seem to match.