New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Hi,

We just have our first baby last January, and so my wife and I are planning to buy our first car so that it will be easier for us to travel to the province (me at Nueva Ecija, while my wife is from Bicol), together with our baby (plus his yaya and all sorts of baby things) to visit our parents and during monthly checkups to his pedia. Taking into consideration our budget of P600k-P700k, as well as fuel efficiency, we have narrowed our search to either Toyota Vios 1.3E MT or the Toyota Avanza 1.3E MT.

I have also read the threads about the 2012 Avanza and it seems the new Avanza is the best buy, given the upgrades made. So, I am now more inclined to buying the new Avanza. In this regard, I would appreciate receiving your: (1) expert opinion regarding my choice of an Avanza over the Vios and, (2) adverse experiences on the performance of the 2012 Avanza (if any).

By the way, we initially chose the Hyundai Accent 1.4, but upon reading about the knocking issue and poor after-sale service of Hyundai, I decided to change and opted to Toyota brands instead.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Since you'll be having long-distance trips quite often, the Avanza seems to be a better choice. Unless you consider looking at the 2nd hand market which could possibly offer you better alternatives.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    might i suggest a pre-owned diesel innova.. the fuel savings, especially in long distance trips, are very attractive. also, the interior space is really something to crow about. even when your second child comes along, you'll still have lots of space.

pahabol: brand new or pre-owned? not much of a difference to me, as long as the latter was not abused by the previous owner. i have experience in both.
    Last edited by dr. d; March 22nd, 2012 at 02:08 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    might i suggest a pre-owned diesel innova.. the fuel savings, especially in long distance trips, are very attractive. also, the interior space is really something to crow about. even when your second child comes along, you'll still have lots of space.

preferably 2009 up model.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    I would have to agree with this. As long as the Innova is in its pristine condition, it'd be better than a brand new Avanza 1.3E in all aspects. Plus, you get to choose whether to settle with lower variants such as the E variants or would like to step up to the more "loaded" ones such as the G or even V variants.

^ That's being sold for only 620k.

Or if ever you would want something smaller yet still versatile, there's the Nissan Grand Livina.

^ that's being sold for 510k only.

--

But then, it still boils down to your preference. If you would want to have a brand-new car appeal, then who are we to stop you. ;)

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    are you buying cash or thru financing?? kung cash better get 2nd hand innova for the space.. you may also want to look for 2nd hand carens... you'll love the power of its engine!!! if avanza, medyo masikip yan.. plus not good for long travel kasi medyo matagtag yan at lalakas lang sa FC yung 1.3 engine.. if financing.. better get brand new!! wag lang vios... masikip din yan.. mahirap pa magdala ng gamit like stroller, baby bath tub, and other baby stuff...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Kung sa brand new, might I suggest you consider the new Kia Rio. It is more powerful and more spacious than the Vios. 2nd hand naman, marami ka na mapagpipilian. I'd suggest you look for the 2009 and above Innova D4D and Carens CRDi.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    If brand new then the Avanza, but if an Innova with a slightly used condition comes along the way then go for the Innova. Congrats on your baby and good luck with your purchase.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Hi All,

Thank you for your quick reply. Will definitely consider them. =)

Regards

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cjmsantos View Post
    Hi All,

Thank you for your quick reply. Will definitely consider them. =)

Regards
    Between the 2 you mentioned, I will choose the avanza because it's bigger and has an option to seat 7. Brand new na din kunin mo since may baby ka, you wouldn't want to encounter unwanted expenses from unforetold breakdowns diba? Atleast sa brand new may warranty ka and insurance. If you are confident enough with your knowledge of cars and kaya mo mag-maintain ng 2nd hand or can get a really good 2nd hand car then try the suggestions of other tsikoteers here. Good luck TS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Help: Buying our first car