New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    buy a new car and save up for a house.. sounds like you plan on burning your candle at both ends. scale down a little, unless you are filthy and rich..
    be content with a used (o sige.. pre-loved) car. and unless you are ready to swear off MTs for the rest of your life, i recommend you not start off using an automatic..
    i agree with the above.. get a good, used toyota. altis or vios.. their reliability is the envy of the automotive world (or so some believe, including me).
    large car or big car? with your (non) experience, it wouldn't matter.. you have no basis for saying one is harder to handle than the other..

2. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    ^ Bakit ako natuto ko mag drive sa Nissan Urvan?

Seriously, I agree to the other forumers to get a second-hand car. Prolly an Altis, but an FD would also be great.
    Chaka mo bihisan para astig! Also, it will hurt less dinging a second-hand car than a bnew sparkling one.
    Believe me, hindi ka makakatulog sa unang gabi kapag nangyari sayo un. Been there, done that.
    And yes, driving school can only get you so far. You'll learn to be street-smart by the actual driving.
    Start with subdivisions first, then some non-busy roads, then pwede ka na makipag dikitan sa mga bus sa EDSA

3. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by greatauror28 View Post
    ^ Bakit ako natuto ko mag drive sa Nissan Urvan?

Seriously, I agree to the other forumers to get a second-hand car. Prolly an Altis, but an FD would also be great.
    Chaka mo bihisan para astig! Also, it will hurt less dinging a second-hand car than a bnew sparkling one.
    Believe me, hindi ka makakatulog sa unang gabi kapag nangyari sayo un. Been there, done that.
    And yes, driving school can only get you so far. You'll learn to be street-smart by the actual driving.
    Start with subdivisions first, then some non-busy roads, then pwede ka na makipag dikitan sa mga bus sa EDSA
    I learned how to drive in an expedition (start daw sa pinakamahirap)..... but I live in a low traffic area with not much traffic.... If I lived in binondo or makati, parang ayaw ko

500k actually gets you in a 2 year old 1.6 fiesta, it should still have warranty and I believe ford has a service which you can extend it

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I learned to drive with an MT and it served me well when I switched to AT. I'm not sure about AT to MT though but I reckon they'd have a pretty hard time managing the clutch. Sarap kasi mag-drive ng manual lalo na pag long drives you can sweep bends at speed without worrying na mao-overshoot ka.

Anyway, 500K would net a Civic FD or a Ford Focus TDCI.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I learned to drive with a 20 seater passenger jeepney with Isuzu C221 engine with no hand brakes and needs to pump the clutch twice before the gear can be engaged. As for the brakes, minimum 2 pumps for the jeep to stop and if my speed reaches around.... well I dont know since there is no speedometer as well, I need to pump the brakes some more..... only oil pressure and temperature gauges was in the dashboard, including boxes for baryas, a lot of basahan, lighters, and recording tapes... and mind you it has no handbrakes as well... those "hanging" moments on an uphill road, I learned it from this jeep... just imagine I need to double clutch every time...

My first ride? an owner type jeep with a gas engine... it feels like driving a landcruiser coming from driving a passenger jeep.... hehehehe

I also suggest for the TS to start on a pre-owned car and please learn to drive stick first... A lot of people whom I know who learned to drive an AT first cannot drive stick properly... some cannot even drive a stick at all...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for all the answers and sorry for the late reply..:P

I'll probably be getting a 2nd hand (but relatively new) one with a 500k budget. That way, I can start saving up for a house (I don't like condos :P). I'm starting to look at Altis, Civic and City ads now.

Advice on MT or AT is noted. Is there any reason why I should start learning an MT if my car's probably gonna be AT? From what I've heard, MT's not really recommended in our god forsaken traffic conditions (nakakangawit daw mag MT sa traffic).

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Guys if 2nd hand na plano nya pano naman malalaman if binaha ang bibilhin nyan? Since almost every year nalulubog ang metro and other provinces.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kablitz View Post
    Thanks for all the answers and sorry for the late reply..:P

I'll probably be getting a 2nd hand (but relatively new) one with a 500k budget. That way, I can start saving up for a house (I don't like condos :P). I'm starting to look at Altis, Civic and City ads now.

Advice on MT or AT is noted. Is there any reason why I should start learning an MT if my car's probably gonna be AT? From what I've heard, MT's not really recommended in our god forsaken traffic conditions (nakakangawit daw mag MT sa traffic).

AT na lang sir. mahirap MT lalo na heavy traffic.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kablitz View Post
    Is there any reason why I should start learning an MT if my car's probably gonna be AT? From what I've heard, MT's not really recommended in our god forsaken traffic conditions (nakakangawit daw mag MT sa traffic).
    Hassle, nakakapagod talaga pag traffic using a MT.

Pero you will never know, when the times comes na you need to drive an MT.

Iba pa din ang marunong.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Don't worry too much about acquiring your driving skills. Kung malakas loob mo at sa tingin mo equipped ka naman theoretically (magbasa ka), mabilis mo lang matutunan mag-drive.
    I bought a brand new City last December. Day1 (1st time to drive a 4-wheels) tinuruan ako ng isang oras sa subdivision namin, while kung yung nagtuturo sa akin ang driver nakikinig lang ako sa turo niya. Day2, umaga inilabas ko na car from garage namin then I drivove along the streets in our subdivision, then ako na rin nag-park (I measured the outside distance of the 2 front wheels is about 6ft + kung anuman length of the 2 side mirrors, while my narrow garage was just 8 ft.). Since nakita naman ako ni wifey na nalilibot ko na sa subdivision namin nagkaroon siya ng kompiyansa sa driving skills ko. In the afternoon, niyaya ko na mag-grocery sa SM, so I drove na in the H-way and inabot pa kami ng gabi pag-uwi. Depende sa skills at lakas ng loob siguro, yung kasamahan ko sa trabaho nagpaturo siya ng 2 weeks daw para lang ma-drive ang AT.

Ayaw mo ba nang Mirage?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast