New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Hi,

I'm going to buy my first car on July or August this year. I have not driven a car before, but I will be enrolling in a driving school next month. I have a few questions for the more experienced people here.

Given that I will be a neophyte driver, should I buy brand new or used? If I get a brand new car, I will be worry-free for the next few years but I'll be shouldering the depreciation. If I get a used car, I'm planning on buying one of the newer models (say, 2010?) and save myself a lot cash so I can start saving up for a house. I can drop around 500k in cash for this purchase. If I get a brand new one, I'll be having the rest financed.

Also, what models would you recommend? I'm eyeing the Lancer EX for the looks but I'm also considering a Honda City Modulo Ed. for the FC.

Please help out a newbie. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kablitz View Post
    Hi,

I'm going to buy my first car on July or August this year. I have not driven a car before, but I will be enrolling in a driving school next month. I have a few questions for the more experienced people here.

Given that I will be a neophyte driver, should I buy brand new or used? If I get a brand new car, I will be worry-free for the next few years but I'll be shouldering the depreciation. If I get a used car, I'm planning on buying one of the newer models (say, 2010?) and save myself a lot cash so I can start saving up for a house. I can drop around 500k in cash for this purchase. If I get a brand new one, I'll be having the rest financed.

Also, what models would you recommend? I'm eyeing the Lancer EX for the looks but I'm also considering a Honda City Modulo Ed. for the FC.

Please help out a newbie. Thanks!
    How's your background? 20s? 30s? Single? Or with nine illegitimate children? :naughty2:

CASA "souped-up" models are more expensive than simply looking for the parts outside and having them installed.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    the lancer ex is significantly more spacious except sa trunk space. the base model is quite loaded compared to other compacts. you get a touch screen display thats gps ready and may good news pa about this. you can buy a cheap micro sd card, download the files in the net and the gps will be fully functional with voice assistance. micro sd card nalang gagastusan mo. 200-300 pesos lang compared sa casa na 6k. the city is more fuel efficient though being a smaller car. also, in terms of reliability toyota and honda are on top. but mitsu is a good name too so no need to worry. its not a china car.

if i were to get the city, i wouldnt get the modulo variant. ive seen one in person and i think it looks bad. better to keep it bare stock nalang. but if you really want some modifications on the exterior, have it done by aftermarket shops. yung modulo ed ng honda +60k sa 1.5L variant eh. luging lugi ka talaga.

between the two, id pick the lancer ex. but both cars are good. its just that you get more bang for the buck sa lancer ex. when i bought mine may -26k discount for the A/T and -50k++ for the M/T. so ang lumalabas 778k for the manual 829k for the automatic. balita ko the discounts are even bigger now. in terms of fuel consumption its one of the better ones in its segment. power isnt disappointing either. consider the accent crdi and the elantra rin. happy shopping.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    How much would be your budget if you go brand new? Sedan lang ba ang choice mo or would you consider getting a bigger car?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Since this is your first time to drive, believe you me, you will meet accidents - hopefully nothing fatal, just dings and occasional crashes.

Thus, get a 2nd hand Toyota Altis (the new engine version) or Honda Civic FD (or ES). These are relatively more reliable than the average everyman compact.

You will have experience in driving, maintenance and other essentials of driving and owning a car that by the time you buy a brand new one, it'll be a breeze for you.

Of course, you can buy a brand new one should you prefer but it will be very expensive for you everytime you have it repaired because of the occasional fender benders or post/tree kissing incidents which can happen as soon as you drive out of the dealer.

Good luck

6. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    I recommend a first timer to get a small car, a large car would prove to be difficult to maneuver in traffic and even more difficult to parallel park
    While you do not need to get something as small as a mirage, a fiesta or a jazz is small enough

Oh, since your planning to learn how to drive in a short amount of time, skip the manual trannys and go straight into an automatic, you will learn much faster without wrecking any clutches
    Invest in driving aids such as parking sensors, they will make life much easier

Tip: No one learns how to drive properly right after driving school, even those who take 15+ hour lessons (My sampling is based on people about my age which is 18-21) You could probably go around a village but you will struggle to drive through edsa on rush hour (good luck changing lanes).

7. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    And add to that those reckless public utility vehicles, You will learn first hand defensive driving with them around.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    ^Haha! Hindi lang defensive driving, offensive driving narin!

Seriously, you only learn the basics of driving from driving school, no matter how many hours/thousands of pesos you spend with them. It is the continued practice of your driving that improves your skills. Aside from driving school, I suggest you find someone who can accompany and teach you in driving sessions while doing rounds in the metro, first in more secluded areas and then gradually to the major thoroughfares.

I suggest you get a 2nd hand car first. It hurts a lot more to dent/scratch a brand new car. Not to mention the big depreciation plaguing brand new cars. You get a 1-2 year old car- which is still basically new- for at least 100-200k less. I suggest either a Honda Jazz or FD Civic 1.8S.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    ^Haha! Hindi lang defensive driving, offensive driving narin!
    Hahah, right on sir. Kaso mahirap magoffensive driving with them, lugi tayo :D

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    It may be so, but I admit I may have picked up quite a few bad habits from them, and used it back against them on some occasions. Bad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast