New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    My Parents decided to sell our previous car to buy a new 2nd hand. The money we've got from it is 385k.
    I researched cars and what i've found are this two:

honda civic vti 2004(LOADED)!NEGOTIABLE!SALE/SWAP Philippines - 8866901

and

2005 Ford Lynx RS turbo M/T * SHOWCAR* loaded SWAP /TRADE OK Philippines - 9674184

I don't know which is which. Hope that this car are still available.

I open for your suggestions Tsikoters !

My Standards are:

1. Engine Peroformance
    2. Maintenance
    3. FC
    4. Looks (Outside&Inside)
    5. 2000+ models

Thank You and Good Day!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by collegescavenge View Post
    My Parents decided to sell our previous car to buy a new 2nd hand. The money we've got from it is 385k.
    I researched cars and what i've found are this two:

honda civic vti 2004(LOADED)!NEGOTIABLE!SALE/SWAP Philippines - 8866901

and

2005 Ford Lynx RS turbo M/T * SHOWCAR* loaded SWAP /TRADE OK Philippines - 9674184

I don't know which is which. Hope that this car are still available.

I open for your suggestions Tsikoters !

My Standards are:

1. Engine Peroformance
    2. Maintenance
    3. FC
    4. Looks (Outside&Inside)
    5. 2000+ models

Thank You and Good Day!
    Putting engine performance and then fuel consumption as "standard" is like saying you want a Lamborghini to do 10km/L on city driving.

Maintenance is Toyota and Honda's forte, they're untouched when it comes to the availability of parts.

Looks is subjective. But I do appreciate the Ford over the Honda. Nakita ko palang caliper "cover" lang sa Honda alam mo na kung sino seryoso and who's in it for show.

Since it'll be your first car, you go for the Civic. If it's your second, the Lynx RS will smoke most of those who wants to do a quarter mile with you on Macapagal. But as you're asking the motoring community, I wouldn't recommend more horses for you until you learn proper driving.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Appropriate college car?

Buy a secondhand manual transmission Jazz. The newest you can buy. The 1.3 VTEC is possibly the best choice for a college student who doesn't want to become "driver ng bayan". It has lots of space, it can easily be dressed up, it's economical, it's easy to drive and it looks good. And comapred to either of those choices, it's worry-free.

-

The Civic VTi is technically an okay car, but why spend so much money on something someone has loaded with tacky aftermarket accessories? Not worth it. Get one stock if you really want one.

The Ford Lynx RS is fantastic to drive, but turbocharged ones are finicky. You have to be careful with the oil level, be prompt with maintenance and easy on the clutch. A stock RS can destroy a stock clutch in just a few laps. A turbocharged RS can fry even a "Stage Two" aftermarket clutch nearly as quickly. While I love the car, it is NOT a car for a college student with little mechanical aptitude and driving experience. Especially not with a big honking turbo attached to it.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Thank You Sr! Jazz was one of my choices. Its a car that can give you the looks and has a really nice engine. Add it on my list ! Thanks

5. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Appropriate college car?

Buy a secondhand manual transmission Jazz. The newest you can buy. The 1.3 VTEC is possibly the best choice for a college student who doesn't want to become "driver ng bayan". It has lots of space, it can easily be dressed up, it's economical, it's easy to drive and it looks good. And comapred to either of those choices, it's worry-free.

-

The Civic VTi is technically an okay car, but why spend so much money on something someone has loaded with tacky aftermarket accessories? Not worth it. Get one stock if you really want one.

The Ford Lynx RS is fantastic to drive, but turbocharged ones are finicky. You have to be careful with the oil level, be prompt with maintenance and easy on the clutch. A stock RS can destroy a stock clutch in just a few laps. A turbocharged RS can fry even a "Stage Two" aftermarket clutch nearly as quickly. While I love the car, it is NOT a car for a college student with little mechanical aptitude and driving experience. Especially not with a big honking turbo attached to it.

Thank You Sr! Jazz was one of my choices. Its a car that can give you the looks and has a really nice engine. Add it on my list ! Thanks

6. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Thank You sir ! I'm liking the civic though what i want in the ford is its engine. My mind is still set on the horses the car have and its look. Maybe i still have to research for more haha. Thanks

7. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Putting engine performance and then fuel consumption as "standard" is like saying you want a Lamborghini to do 10km/L on city driving.

Maintenance is Toyota and Honda's forte, they're untouched when it comes to the availability of parts.

Looks is subjective. But I do appreciate the Ford over the Honda. Nakita ko palang caliper "cover" lang sa Honda alam mo na kung sino seryoso and who's in it for show.

Since it'll be your first car, you go for the Civic. If it's your second, the Lynx RS will smoke most of those who wants to do a quarter mile with you on Macapagal. But as you're asking the motoring community, I wouldn't recommend more horses for you until you learn proper driving.
    Thank You sir ! I'm liking the civic though what i want in the ford is its engine. My mind is still set on the horses the car have and its look. Maybe i still have to research for more haha. Thanks

8. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Typical college kid who wants a race car but doesnt want it guzzling too much gas. :D

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

9. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by stickers View Post
    Typical college kid who wants a race car but doesnt want it guzzling too much gas. :D

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
    Haha yeah. maybe the avrage car that goes with speed and does not guzzle too much gas haha

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Problem with speed is that it's subjective. For example, my friend who currently drives around with a Subaru BRZ says it's ugly slow. But that's because his daily driver is a Honda S2000 and before that, a Silvia S14 and Mitsu Evo. What is your benchmark for "speed"?

There are usually two routes on how to go faster: be more powerful or be more lighter. Unfortunately, the first one goes hand in hand with fuel consumption. Throwing a turbo means more air to burn and that equals more fuel. As for the second one, unless you want to rip off your stereo, air conditioning unit, seats, and spare tire just for a 4% improvement in weight (using a Jazz's weight of approx 1,000kg) then that'll be hard to do so.

Although a secondhand 1.3 MT Jazz also sprung up my mind, I thought about that (1) you might have a hard time sourcing one thanks to Honda's general high resale value, and (2) you're not a fan of "fat" types as you're comparing between two sedans. Hence I'll suggest a lightly used Honda EK instead.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; April 12th, 2013 at 02:16 AM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast