New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hi Guys,
    First of all, thanks in advance.
    I’m sure most of you have heard this question in forums so many times: “which car should I buy” but I believe it is just fair to ask this question since every person has a different scenario, budget, driving conditions; basically needs to address which is very important in selecting a car. Moreover there’s a 5 year commitment here in monthly payments so tough decisions are to be made. So I hope you can help in mine:
    This December, I’m due to change cars by the company. I currently own a Honda City 2011 1.5E AT. We receive 23K monthly and 12K allowance in gas. We usually combine both as a diskarte to cover the monthly, maintenance, and day-to-day gas. That’s about 35K. I have shortlisted to 3 choices: 2016 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 AT GL CRDI, 2016 Honda Civic 1.8E CVT, and 2013 Mazda 3 1.5L V SkyActiv. I’ve test driven all and I like them all kung pwede lang. honestly, each car has different pros and cons:
    Pick 1 – Honda Civic 1.5E CVT - DP: 120K Amort 60 mos: 21.6K
    It looks amazing, its an eye turner talaga. Features loaded: push start, auto start enging, multi media display is fantastic, auto brake mode, eco mode, LED Headlights + DRL, Blue tooth, HDMI, Apple Car, etc etc etc… list goes on. I like the speed, its really fast + I know how driving a Honda feels since I own one. Bonus also would be only 2 maintenance per year and the resale value is really high. It’s really a high priced sedan with amazing features and premium look, tech, and feel.
    Pick 2 – Mazda 3 1.5L Sky Active – DP: 115K Amort 60 mos: 20K
    Looks amazing. Pogi kung Pogi. Features loaded, it has all the Civic specs except: no auto start engine, no ecomode, no auto reak mode, no DRL, and not CVT. But, it has G-Vector. I test drove it a while ago and the handling is just amazing. Very swabe and the drive just feels amazing. Feel economy is also the best among my 3 choices.I just felt like it’s under powered though and it’s not as roomy as the Civic. Bonus would Youjin 3 (no service for 3 years) and its way below budget so more savings for me. But ofcourse, resale value is not good.
    Pick 3 – Hyundai Tucson 2.0GL CRDI – DP: 95K Amort 60 mos: 27K
    At a glance, it is really expensive but my monthly run range is at 2,300 KMs. If you convert that in to peso value at its avg of 9KM per liter (minum traffic driving) – its gonna save me 4-5K per month compared to the Civic and about 3K from the Mazda. Net it out, perhaps we can see just a balance in monthly cost. But the Tucson GL version just drives me nuts in its tech features – no keyless entry (you have to buy aftermarket), no passenger airbag (talk about safety), multi-media- 2-din radio MONO. No frills, no techs, no comfort add-ons. Just good old CRDI engine for fuel economy, good ride (being an SUV). Im also scared of my PMS costs since its dsl and since its Korean, kinda scared of that too. Bonus my dealer is willing to throw in the accessories: Keyless entry w/ Alarm (IKR?!?), Back-up sensor, fog lamps. Also, you can buy aftermarket for the radio display.
    PS. I basically drive to work every day and my work entails me to go provinces: batangas, quezon, Pangasinan, mostly accessible thru highway about 2-3 times a month.
    So there it is. As you can see, one gives up the other if you put comfort + tech + economy + savings all together. Hope you guys can give suggestions on what to pick.
    Salamat po

2. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kabushis View Post
    Hi Guys,
    First of all, thanks in advance.
    I’m sure most of you have heard this question in forums so many times: “which car should I buy” but I believe it is just fair to ask this question since every person has a different scenario, budget, driving conditions; basically needs to address which is very important in selecting a car. Moreover there’s a 5 year commitment here in monthly payments so tough decisions are to be made. So I hope you can help in mine:
    This December, I’m due to change cars by the company. I currently own a Honda City 2011 1.5E AT. We receive 23K monthly and 12K allowance in gas. We usually combine both as a diskarte to cover the monthly, maintenance, and day-to-day gas. That’s about 35K. I have shortlisted to 3 choices: 2016 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 AT GL CRDI, 2016 Honda Civic 1.8E CVT, and 2013 Mazda 3 1.5L V SkyActiv. I’ve test driven all and I like them all kung pwede lang. honestly, each car has different pros and cons:
    Pick 1 – Honda Civic 1.5E CVT - DP: 120K Amort 60 mos: 21.6K
    It looks amazing, its an eye turner talaga. Features loaded: push start, auto start enging, multi media display is fantastic, auto brake mode, eco mode, LED Headlights + DRL, Blue tooth, HDMI, Apple Car, etc etc etc… list goes on. I like the speed, its really fast + I know how driving a Honda feels since I own one. Bonus also would be only 2 maintenance per year and the resale value is really high. It’s really a high priced sedan with amazing features and premium look, tech, and feel.
    Pick 2 – Mazda 3 1.5L Sky Active – DP: 115K Amort 60 mos: 20K
    Looks amazing. Pogi kung Pogi. Features loaded, it has all the Civic specs except: no auto start engine, no ecomode, no auto reak mode, no DRL, and not CVT. But, it has G-Vector. I test drove it a while ago and the handling is just amazing. Very swabe and the drive just feels amazing. Feel economy is also the best among my 3 choices.I just felt like it’s under powered though and it’s not as roomy as the Civic. Bonus would Youjin 3 (no service for 3 years) and its way below budget so more savings for me. But ofcourse, resale value is not good.
    Pick 3 – Hyundai Tucson 2.0GL CRDI – DP: 95K Amort 60 mos: 27K
    At a glance, it is really expensive but my monthly run range is at 2,300 KMs. If you convert that in to peso value at its avg of 9KM per liter (minum traffic driving) – its gonna save me 4-5K per month compared to the Civic and about 3K from the Mazda. Net it out, perhaps we can see just a balance in monthly cost. But the Tucson GL version just drives me nuts in its tech features – no keyless entry (you have to buy aftermarket), no passenger airbag (talk about safety), multi-media- 2-din radio MONO. No frills, no techs, no comfort add-ons. Just good old CRDI engine for fuel economy, good ride (being an SUV). Im also scared of my PMS costs since its dsl and since its Korean, kinda scared of that too. Bonus my dealer is willing to throw in the accessories: Keyless entry w/ Alarm (IKR?!?), Back-up sensor, fog lamps. Also, you can buy aftermarket for the radio display.
    PS. I basically drive to work every day and my work entails me to go provinces: batangas, quezon, Pangasinan, mostly accessible thru highway about 2-3 times a month.
    So there it is. As you can see, one gives up the other if you put comfort + tech + economy + savings all together. Hope you guys can give suggestions on what to pick.
    Salamat po
    If I were to be in your shoes, It's a toss-up between Civic and Mazda 3, but I might go for Civic.

I would go for Tucson if I really need that added height and cargo capacity. But based on your stated situation, the fuel cost of Tucson might not be enough to make up for its high monthly amortization cost; unless you plan to use it for more than 5 years. And personally, the lack of features, especially that concerns with safety (1 airbag only, no active safety) is a major deal breaker for me, especially if you could get better loaded ones with same price bracket. And the concern with Hyundai reliability and after-sales services are also something to be worried about.

The Mazda 3 would be a solid choice if you are mostly travelling by yourself or having 1 or 2 passengers. But if you regularly carry more passengers or cargo in the trunk, the Civic might be more practical.

If you don't mind driving a manual, how about the VW Jetta 1.6 TDI * 850K?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hmm let me check on that unit. Its not yet in my radar.

Thanks for the suggestion sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Junichiro View Post
    If I were to be in your shoes, It's a toss-up between Civic and Mazda 3, but I might go for Civic.

I would go for Tucson if I really need that added height and cargo capacity. But based on your stated situation, the fuel cost of Tucson might not be enough to make up for its high monthly amortization cost; unless you plan to use it for more than 5 years. And personally, the lack of features, especially that concerns with safety (1 airbag only, no active safety) is a major deal breaker for me, especially if you could get better loaded ones with same price bracket. And the concern with Hyundai reliability and after-sales services are also something to be worried about.

The Mazda 3 would be a solid choice if you are mostly travelling by yourself or having 1 or 2 passengers. But if you regularly carry more passengers or cargo in the trunk, the Civic might be more practical.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2016
    From your posting, I do not see you pointed any negative feedback with Honda Civic unlike with the two other options.
    And, I agree with all the plus and negative points of each car.

I like tech + looks so it would be a Civic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Ya cause I've been a Honda user since forever. Altho, we can probably say that among the other 2, the FC of Honda is bad (if we compare).

Quote Originally Posted by RR_22 View Post
    From your posting, I do not see you pointed any negative feedback with Honda Civic unlike with the two other options.
    And, I agree with all the plus and negative points of each car.

I like tech + looks so it would be a Civic.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Already decided to get the Civic. Very exciting kasi and reliable. Although my work requires to be on out-of-town Laguna, Batangas, parts of Quezon lang naman often. Like twice a week but can be managed. Do you think the Civic will withstand this or mabugbog agad?

Quote Originally Posted by Junichiro View Post

7. Join Date
    Nov 2016
    My only concern with the new Civic is its ground clearance. Check and compare with other sedans. So just be wary on the bumpy roads and little flooding.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    If the places you go to are accessible through well-paved roads, there's nothing wrong with a sedan. The Civic 1.8E is a good choice (I think you're referring to the 1.8 and not the 1.5 turbo since that's much more expensive).

I wouldn't recommend the Tucson unless you want it for the speed. It's underchassis isn't really more durable than a regular sedan. In fact, many owners of the older Tucson faced lots of suspension problems.

If you want a durable diesel SUV, get the MUX instead. Pricier than the Tucson GL CRDi (1.4M vs 1.34M), but definitely more durable and better suited for provincial drives. More space and much more features too. Doesn't handle as well as a Tucson or Civic, but you have to choose between handling or chassis durability because they're usually mutually exclusive.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    If only I could, I would gofor an SUV. Buget constraints just limit me to the Tucson.

Ive been readinrg about the Civic a lot and materials have been pointing out that the Civic is good with long drives. Its a really well built car.

is the new civic suspension fele better than the tucson? Which means its more comfortable in long drives?

Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    If the places you go to are accessible through well-paved roads, there's nothing wrong with a sedan. The Civic 1.8E is a good choice (I think you're referring to the 1.8 and not the 1.5 turbo since that's much more expensive).

I wouldn't recommend the Tucson unless you want it for the speed. It's underchassis isn't really more durable than a regular sedan. In fact, many owners of the older Tucson faced lots of suspension problems.

If you want a durable diesel SUV, get the MUX instead. Pricier than the Tucson GL CRDi (1.4M vs 1.34M), but definitely more durable and better suited for provincial drives. More space and much more features too. Doesn't handle as well as a Tucson or Civic, but you have to choose between handling or chassis durability because they're usually mutually exclusive.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    The tucson's not really known for its riding comfort. Haven't ridden or driven the new one, but the last generation and the FD were comfortable for long drives to Laguna and Batangas..

Btw, Jut drives a current gen Altis and goes farther than where you plan to go. Only difference is Toyota's suspension is much more suited to our roads compared to Honda IMO. Hondas have soft suspensions prone to bottoming out. This is subjective though and is per my observation so your view might vary.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast