New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    I'm just started to take a driving lesson and of course after months i'm buying a car na din..

looking for a vios.. since first car sempre ung mura muna..

anything to consider kasi noob talaga me sa car..

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    please add more info ...

a. ) MAXIMUM budget allotted for the vehicle
    b. ) Daily route
    c. ) Main use
    d. ) Preferences ( M/T, A/T, 1.3L, good FC etc.etc. )

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by iNoob View Post
    I'm just started to take a driving lesson and of course after months i'm buying a car na din..

looking for a vios.. since first car sempre ung mura muna..

anything to consider kasi noob talaga me sa car..
    Toyota Vios 1.3L is a good first car... although you might reconsider for the 1.5L if you want more power under the hood.

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    please add more info ...

a. ) MAXIMUM budget allotted for the vehicle
    b. ) Daily route
    c. ) Main use
    d. ) Preferences ( M/T, A/T, 1.3L, good FC etc.etc. )
    a. 1M
    b. mandaluyong, qc , pasig, rizal
    c. paglalabas, mall, at hanap ng mga things.
    d. A/T (pero ung driving lesson ko kasi M/T)

as a noob I don't have ideas on 1.3, 1.5, FC and etc...

by reading some thread here.. kapag 1.3 pang city driving lang ata and you may be underpowered...

still don't know why Vios might be underpowered...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With a P1M budget, you could also include the following into the options

Honda Jazz 1.5L A/T (P842K)
    Honda City 1.5L A/T (P816K)
    Honda Civic 1.8L A/T (P898K to P958K depending on variant)
    Toyota Vios 1.5L A/T (P810K to P845K depending on variant)
    Toyota Yaris 1.5L A/T (P766K)
    Toyota Corolla 1.6L A/T (P869K to P940K depending variant)
    Mitsubishi Lancer EX GLX 2.0 M/T (P870K cash)
    Mitsubishi Lancer EX GLS 2.0L CVT A/T (P925K cash)

So among the choices listed, your best options would be either the Civic or the Lancer EX. But note that these are also the two options with the biggest engines in the options listed so expect fuel consumption would be higher than the others listed.

If fuel consumption is a major consideration, you could go for the Honda Jazz which gives excellent value for money. It is spacious inside, nice looking exterior and cargo handling is one of the best in this class.

Although many would also consider the Toyota Corolla but there are current issues with the engine developing sludge which results in it self-destructing or at least requiring expensive repair. It also has issues with the interior which feels "weird" which I would attribute to having a taller and thicker padded front seats than what is available in Japan. So in my opinion, best to avoid this.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; May 14th, 2010 at 09:21 AM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    With a P1M budget, you could also include the following into the options

Honda Jazz 1.5L A/T (P842K)
    Honda City 1.5L A/T (P816K)
    Honda Civic 1.8L A/T (P898K to P958K depending on variant)
    Toyota Vios 1.5L A/T (P810K to P845K depending on variant)
    Toyota Yaris 1.5L A/T (P766K)
    Toyota Corolla 1.6L A/T (P869K to P940K depending variant)
    Mitsubishi Lancer EX GLX 2.0 M/T (P870K cash)
    Mitsubishi Lancer EX GLS 2.0L CVT A/T (P925K cash)

So among the choices listed, your best options would be either the Civic or the Lancer EX. But note that these are also the two options with the biggest engines in the options listed so expect fuel consumption would be higher than the others listed.

If fuel consumption is a major consideration, you could go for the Honda Jazz which gives excellent value for money. It is spacious inside, nice looking exterior and cargo handling is one of the best in this class.

Although many would also consider the Toyota Corolla but there are current issues with the engine developing sludge which results in it self-destructing or at least requiring expensive repair. It also has issues with the interior which feels "weird" which I would attribute to having a taller and thicker padded front seats than what is available in Japan. So in my opinion, best to avoid this.

Pa-add lang sa list

1.6 Lancer GLX m/t- 685k
    1.6 Lancer GLS a/t- 745k
    1.3 Sentra GX m/t- 610 to 635k
    1.3 Sentra GX a/t- 660-680k
    1.6 Sentra M/T -760k
    1.6 Sentra A/t - 845k
    1.8 Livina m/t and a/t- 806-980

dami choices for 1M. But for me, look for a bang for a buck car. Di kailangang mahal ang kotse. kailangan din na praktikal and will suit your needs.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dale323 View Post
    Pa-add lang sa list

1.6 Lancer GLX m/t- 685k
    1.6 Lancer GLS a/t- 745k
    1.3 Sentra GX m/t- 610 to 635k
    1.3 Sentra GX a/t- 660-680k
    1.6 Sentra M/T -760k
    1.6 Sentra A/t - 845k
    1.8 Livina m/t and a/t- 806-980

dami choices for 1M. But for me, look for a bang for a buck car. Di kailangang mahal ang kotse. kailangan din na praktikal and will suit your needs.

Actually I didn't include the older model Lancer and Sentra because they are old (very old in the case for the Sentra). I assume the TS will be keeping the car (whatever he chooses) for a very long time and it would be great not to have an "obsolete" model as a brand new car if he has the option.

As for the Nissan Grand Livina, I find it underpowered for the capacity it is supposed to have. The 1.8L is great for the Nissan Livina but it's not sold locally. Also the 3rd row seats is kinda useless unless you would either have small kids or legless adults sitting there since the floor is almost level with the seat itself.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iNoob View Post
    a. 1M
    b. mandaluyong, qc , pasig, rizal
    c. paglalabas, mall, at hanap ng mga things.
    d. A/T (pero ung driving lesson ko kasi M/T)

as a noob I don't have ideas on 1.3, 1.5, FC and etc...

by reading some thread here.. kapag 1.3 pang city driving lang ata and you may be underpowered...

still don't know why Vios might be underpowered...
    It might be underpowered lalo na yung 1.3 kapag marami kang sakay + load. Pero kapag mostly ikaw lang, tapos city driving, tamang tama lang. Ang tipid pa. The lowest you could get IMO is 9km/L. Average city driving is around 11-13 km/L.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    if you're a complete newbie...

I'd suggest getting a secondhand car among the models that ghosthunter listed.

you could commit all your mistakes and booboos there without feeling *too* bad.

then when you've got enough wheel time, get the brand new car.

however, if you really want a brand new car, I'll suggest getting one of the subcompacts:

vios, city, mazda2 or their hatch counterparts: yaris, jazz, mz2 hb.

all of them are nippy little rides that are easy to drive and park (especially with the backup sensors), and have better fuel efficiencies than their compact cousins.

while you're at it, you might want to consider the upcoming ford fiesta with the six-speed powershift automatic

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    Opinion ko lang sir, lahat naman tayo galing sa pagigin Newbie. Pero if it were me :

1. Brand new, hindi 2nd hand (mukhang may pera ka din naman e). Ang insurance mo yung casa ang palit. I'm sure within your first 2 years may encounter ka na scratches sa bumpers mo (minimal). Worst case sa pinto. hassle magpagawa ng 2nd hand. pag brand new, palit lang ng palit, wala pang parts participation within the first 3 years of the car.

2. If you agree sa item 1 ko, sir, bantayan mo maigi ang kotse every casa maintenance. Hence I suggest toyota. May screen sila sa service bay, kita mo lahat ng ginagawa. Why? Dun ka matututo. Remember, we should also learn maintenance, di lang driving. Also, don't hesitate to tell your casa if there are slight 'changes' in the feel of the b.new car when driving. marami tayong matututtunan dun. 80% of the time, mas tama ang owner pag sinabing "may problema" at di makita ng casa .

3. For Newbie, I presume ang gusto mo na car sporty (yabang effect most likely sa mga bagong driver, ako din ganon, hehe). Tama ba ako sir? pero don't forget, FC is very important. FC is 50% CAR SPECS AND 50% DRIVING HABIT.

All premises considered sa itaas, ang proposal ko sayo sir is:

-- Manual ang bilhin mo na brand new na maganda ang FC. Ang proposal ko Vios (wala na bang 1.5 na M/T?) or Altis G na M/T. Para sa second car mo na A/T, alam mo talaga paano mag paddle shift (di ka lang poser, hehehe).

-- Kung gusto mo Honda (ako first car ko Civic na LXI, 2001), M/T pa rin na Civic S, kaso di mo makikita anong ginagawa sa kotse pag maintenance. Tanungin mo na lang anong ginawa and try to 'imagine' how it was done by visually inspecting every maintenance recors. Ang maganda dyan, every 10K ang maintenance (vs. 5K sa Toyota).

-- wala akong experience sa ibang kotse e so etong 2 lang ang ma-suggest ko sau.

Goodluck sir and happy driving! please stay corteous on the road. Believe me, Philippine roads can change your attitude. please stay calm and humble po kahit na 10 years ka nang marunong mag-drive.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Buying a Car for Noob