New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fish_out_of_h20 View Post
    I've been doing a lot of research one with excel sheets of car brands and prices. I've noticed that one of the cheapest AT is a Sentra GX 1.3... This will suit my budget if I wait by dec I think. I'll be reading more about it...
    If you are interested about Sentra GX 1.3L, here are some previous discussion threads you might want to read:

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52389

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51318

Other cars that might be of your interest and budget:

Kia Picanto
    Hyundai Getz
    2000 Toyota Corolla Altis (lovelife body, looks like this)
    2003/2004 Toyota Vios (hard to find at 350K but possible)

I am not recommending the previous model Honda City/Jazz with the CVT tranny because of potential problems directly with the CVT A/T tranny.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 24th, 2009 at 09:31 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    ghosthunter, thanks for the links. I've been reading on it too! When and if
    I get serious with the Sentra I'll post my questions there also =)
    I'll look into your other recoms

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    ghosthunter, thanks for the links. I've been reading on it too! When and if
    I get serious with the Sentra I'll post my questions there also =)
    I'll look into your other recoms
    The sentra isn't bad.

What other cars are you considering/are in your price range at this point?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    mda, i've been reading about the sentra threads a lot! the only disadvantage is that it can't go fast. (no prob with me...) Now, I'm trying to find out if I can take it to baguio or drive it on batangas dirt roads. (yes, vacations are very impt to me ) Or will the car's performance limit me.
    Another option for bnew is Getz. Yep, I'm cheap =) If I can, I'll try to work out to DP as much as I could afford and have very very low monthly. Something I don't even have to think or bother about. But this is not a near option. Haven't researched on others yet so I'm just basing
    on price now.

I've also bookmarked and circled ads on second hand Altis. As said by people here, it's a dependable car and the service centers abound. I think I would even prefer this option than a bnew Getz.
    I also saw a deal on Nissan Exalta Grandeur. I don't know much about the car model so I have to research on it.

Any more thoughts?

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    mda, i've been reading about the sentra threads a lot! the only disadvantage is that it can't go fast. (no prob with me...) Now, I'm trying to find out if I can take it to baguio or drive it on batangas dirt roads. (yes, vacations are very impt to me ) Or will the car's performance limit me.
    Another option for bnew is Getz. Yep, I'm cheap =) If I can, I'll try to work out to DP as much as I could afford and have very very low monthly. Something I don't even have to think or bother about. But this is not a near option. Haven't researched on others yet so I'm just basing
    on price now.

I've also bookmarked and circled ads on second hand Altis. As said by people here, it's a dependable car and the service centers abound. I think I would even prefer this option than a bnew Getz.
    I also saw a deal on Nissan Exalta Grandeur. I don't know much about the car model so I have to research on it.

Any more thoughts?
    All great options. The Altis (especially the 2002 up) is one of the more dependable cars. Just make sure it wasn't abused by the previous owner (maintenance/accident records would help).

I'm pretty sure the Sentra 1.3 will go all the way to baguio. Dirt roads also won't be a problem because I don't think you can go 60kph in an unpaved, rough road anyway.

The getz is also a good car. Smaller engine but also lighter, if a bit more cramped than the sentra.

Test drive before you buy!

The older exalta, not sure.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The roads in Batangas wouldn't be a problem if they are hard packed dirt roads. If they are soft or muddy, well, you might need a SUV with it's higher clearance for that type of surface.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    on price now.
    Getz is a good car but it's small. Seats four in comfort. Not much space in the cargo/trunk area. Fuel consumption is average or even a bit higher than expected for such a small engine/car.

I've also bookmarked and circled ads on second hand Altis. As said by people here, it's a dependable car and the service centers abound.
    The older model Corollas are actually more dependable. The 2002 and newer Corolla Altis has a problem with its engine developing "sludge" if either you used the wrong oil or missed an oil change schedule. This can later develop into more serious problems.

Some technical info:
    http://www.motioncars.com/carchart/h...tra_exalta.htm

Car review: (done back in 2001)
    http://www.motioncars.com/drives/08...._02/index.html
    Last edited by ghosthunter; July 25th, 2009 at 02:35 PM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The roads in Batangas wouldn't be a problem if they are hard packed dirt roads. If they are soft or muddy, well, you might need a SUV with it's higher clearance for that type of surface.
    Well if that is the case, a suzuki vitara maybe?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Well if that is the case, a suzuki vitara maybe?
    I was thinking 1st gen CRV since I dont think traction would be a problem as compared to ground clearance.

But in the end it still depends on the road surface itself.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    mda: o nga, I need to be super critical if I buy a 2nd hand. About the dirt
    roads for Sentra, I was worried about the tag-tag if the car can take
    it. At this point of my driving skill (v. minimal) not so much speedy

ghosthunter: Okay, scratch Getz =) hmmm.. thanks for the altis warning.
    That maybe the reason I see so many of that model on the ads.
    But it's such a waste there are really a lot of them posted to find
    out their not okay afterall. I've read the link about the Exalta the
    article says its fine and had lots of accs, the table had a lot of info I
    didn't understand except for the 3 stars - yey!

renzo_d10: no SUVs for me now I think. Isn't is harder to maintain?
    Not much rough riding for me, just the roads to anilao and san juan
    are not yet fully cemented.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Best Options for 300k Automatic?