New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I'm fed up commuting. I've finally saved up 300k to buy a car. I'm clueless though so
    please help. I'll try to provide as much info as possible, tell me if there are other
    considerations I've not thought of. Again, I'm clueless I don't understand the acronyms so
    you might need to explain simpler. Sorry be patient with me, you'll have a special place in
    heaven =)

1. I'm a girl
    2. I need an AT because I tried learning manual and I just can't. My intructor even quit on
    (transferred) me. AT is non negotiable.
    3. I would need to drive from pque to makati and maybe out of town occasionally.
    4. I don't need a big ride nor a fast one either - just something reliable.
    5. Gas bills are not a big problem, I won't need to drive far often.
    6. If possible 5-6 yo max
    7. Okay, I may be able to stretch to 350k...

Can you please give me my best options for a second hand car with this budget?

Yes, I'm considering brand new. I'm thinking:

Pros: I know nothing about cars, it's less likely to breakdown on me
    Less maintenance hassle
    It might be more worth it with my budget, I could still resell it
    at better price but this is just asset worth for me since I plan to
    use it for a looooong time.

Cons: I need to wait end this year or early next year. I want to be able to
    dp 50% and have a 10k monthly.
    It cost a lot more. For me, this would mean a chunk of my
    savings and less vacations in the future.
    I know nothing about cars - right now. I might just end up
    scratching and bumping it a lot.

Patulong...

a> brand new or 2nd hand?
    b> what are my options?

thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    a.) brand new or second hand

- I would say, brand new. If you could wait. hehe. But if not, then a second hand car would just be perfect.

b.) options

brand new - suzuki celerio, hyundai i10, hyundai getz.

second hand - 2002 civics, altis and 2004 lancers

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    better buy second hand cars kasi po mahirap maghanap ng BNEW car for 300-350k. maybe umabot ang Chery QQ pero parang di naman ok yung car

and yung mga pwedeng maging options mo sa 2nd hand cars. 02-03 Civic, 03-05 Lancer, 04 Mazda 3, or my optra

pero medyo mahal ng konti ang maintenance ng Chevys eh. but it suites you ;)

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    better buy second hand cars kasi po mahirap maghanap ng BNEW car for 300-350k. maybe umabot ang Chery QQ pero parang di naman ok yung car

and yung mga pwedeng maging options mo sa 2nd hand cars. 02-03 Civic, 03-05 Lancer, 04 Mazda 3, or my optra

pero medyo mahal ng konti ang maintenance ng Chevys eh. but it suites you ;)
    SG,

TS might be the person you`re looking for......the one who will buy your precious optra

5. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    a) 2nd hand first, then get a brand new after you mastered driving

b) first, get the same car you used on your driving lessons
    others, get a Honda Jazz or a Toyota Yaris (small cars than a regular sedan)

HTH

6. Join Date
    May 2009
    You are a girl and absolutely knows nothing about car repair and maintenance. It will definitely be a suicide in your case to purchase second hand cars. Bukod sa midol kailangan magtabi ka na rin ng dolpenal for headaches Dont think twice, go for brand new cars. If your budget cant afford it right now then pwede namang downpayment yang money mo ngayon.

Happy hunting.....

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    hello TS, seems na bago ka lang dito sa tsikot... then i welcome you here sa masayang automotive site sa buong internet! welcome to tsikot!

well mam, as for your queries, i'll answer it to the best that i can

A. brand new or 2nd hand?
    syempre mas maganda ang brand new, but you have a tight budget of 350k max only. so go for 2nd hand. having a 2nd hand car, sa perspective ko ah, is an advantage. madami nagsasabi disadvantage gawa ng mga sirang parts. but through this, i was able to enhance my automotive troubleshooting at syempre na din, sa tulong ng tsikot. madami ka matutunan sa 2nd hand, trust me mam... i've been there and i can say i enjoy my ride more than what i expected

b. what cars suits your budget?
    madami pong papasok sa budget ninyo. you prefer a/t po ba mam? you said po na sumuko ang instructor mo sa yo while learning to drive a manual car. naku mam, wala lang yun tiyaga sa yo. if i were your instructor, i'll do what i can para matuto ka. driving a manual is not easy, pero you will be a more versatile driver pagdating ng araw. so if you would po talaga, buy a manual pero you need someone na magtitiyagang magturo sa yo.

now, kung anong kotse ang babagay po sa inyo, eto po ang aking suggestions:
    1. 1st generation toyota altis - pwede na ang 1.6g dito at pasok na yun sa 350k budget. kung hindi, yung 1.6e eh swak na

2. 2000-2005 honda civic - most civics na papasok sa 350k budget are the 2000-2003 models, better get the vti or vti-s variant

3. chevrolet optra - like my friend sg said, one good car. but maintenance is a bit costly. you may not consider this car

4. 2003-2005 mitsubishi lancer mx cvt - this is my choice. fuel consumption is good and it is in cvt (continous variable transmission), meaning you can drive in matic and manual mode without the clutch

5. late model nissan sentra - this is also a good car but i'm not quite familiar of nissan, pero i can recommend this

also mam, try to buy a copy of car finder every week. this is a big help for you so that you can have an idea on what cars can suit your budget. if ever you find one that you think will suit you, you can consult us here at tsikot anytime and we'll give you our opinion on your choice. again mam, welcome to tsikot and good luck on finding your 1st car

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I'd have to agree on brand new.

Reasons:

1) If you're in it for hassle-free ownership - the moment magloko car mo, back to the dealer for repair free via warranty. You never know what's wrong with a 2nd hand car if you don't know where to look (different cars, iba-iba ang sakit)

2) Wala kang suking repairman/mechanic = you're likely to be conned by overcharging shops and repairpersons like rapide (see the long feedback/hate thread on them here).

3) We've owned a 1998 honda civic A/T for 11 years, and we haven't experienced any glaring breakdowns that weren't of our own doing. With that said, it's going back to the hassle-free ownership and taking proper care of the car. If it weren't for faulty wiring jobs back when the car was new, we wouldn't even think of disposing of the car now.

As already mentioned by some of the above, you could use the 300k for downpayment. You can check with the banks for lower financing rates naman.

As to what car I'd recommend, it would boil down to how much total you're willing to spend (down payment + aggregate monthly fees)

9. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    By now you must be getting dizzy reading all the tips. If you don't like the small, cramped brand new cars that fall w/in your budget, then go for used.

To help you shop, here's a link from Buy & Sell Philippines: http://carfinderphilippines.net/buy-...ing-used-cars/

I found the tips very useful when I bought a used car some time back. In addition to what's in the article, I also suggest...

1. Magnets. Yup, ref magnets. Stick them on the car's body, especially toward the corners, along the seams where bumps are most likely to happen. If the magnets don't stick, there's a good chance extensive body work has been done. Makapal ang masilya in the areas where the magnet can't come into contact w/ metal. Walk away when this happens.
    2. When you find the car you like, you can text a certain no. (which escapes me now) to find out if there are no registered liens against the vehicle and that the vehicle is not stolen.
    3. Be prepared to still spend some money for additional fixes. Even if you brought along a mechanic in your used car quest, remember that he ain't psychic. Some defects may still have escaped his eye during the pre-buy inspection stage.

That's it. Happy hunting and enjoy the drive.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Wow! People here are amazingly helpful! Thanks, thanks a lot...
    Yes, yes I'm keeping each point in mind. I'm compiling all the points I've read in a document for review. This is all new to me... The 350k might be used as dp if I buy a new car, btw.

renzo_d10, i'll see how patient I could be and wait for bnew. I
    have a feeling this is like the "marshmallow test". I'll check out
    your recoms...

starex_gold, yup definitely not a 350k bnew car no Cherys. Why would
    Chevys suit me? Is it bump and dummy proof? =)

KERSMcRae, thanks for the advice. I've thought of having a 2nd hand
    practice car first too. Just that am planning to use the car I'm
    getting now for a long time. Kaya lang as my friend said "ibabanga
    ko lang naman daw sya" she's knows me well...

granro01, yup my worst fear is that a 2nd hand car will stall and stop
    in the middle of traffic! noon, and cars honking yikes!

testament11, you're very encouraging but unlike you I might not
    be able to improve on my auto trouble shooting skills. I tried having
    my bro teach me mt on top of my paid instructor, he was shouting so
    we stopped having those. I'll take your tip and buy the car finder. I'm
    also trying to familiarize myself with the make/model/year = value.

mda, yes the ideal situation would be a hassle free bnew. as you said
    I have to make some computations on how much I could afford.
    I'm just anxious about committing to the monthly payments.

Jackflash, the tips are very smart they're going on my compilation =)

I've been doing a lot of research one with excel sheets of car brands and prices. I've noticed that one of the cheapest AT is a Sentra GX 1.3... This will suit my budget if I wait by dec I think. I'll be reading more about it...

When I think about it, the cash diff between bnew and 2nd hand might just be too big. I have a female friend who drives a 2nd hand and she seems fine aside from timing belts and noises. Hmmm... her car's a good size and it still looks good naman.

Guys, I have so much to think about your replies will help me sort them out. :grouphugg: I plan to keep looking at second hand listings and talk to the SA for the best deal on the sentra. Process ko muna infos...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Best Options for 300k Automatic?