New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Hello po!

First time ko lang po ako sa market sa pagbili ng 2nd hand cars. I'm looking to buy a "cheap beater car" na pwede ko lang gamitin to get to work and back (around 12km drive daily lang).

Only planning to use it for a few years bago ibenta ulit because I have plans to find work abroad after a few years in the philippines.

Budget ko is 150K max kasama na first time maintenance.

Here are the average prices i've seen on FB Marketplace, as well as my first thoughts from what i've read online and mga sabi ng tito haha.

Civic ESi/EG Hatch - 80K-130K
    -> Maporma, Madali ang parts, Somewhat reliable but with some recurring issues (bulutong)

BMW E36 320i - 110K - 200K
    -> According sa isang Tito, Hindi daw gaano kataas ung maintenance nya. Reliable naman daw and OA lang daw yung nagsasabi ng tig 100k+ ang maintenance nya

Corolla Bigbody - 70K - 130K
    -> Good and reliable, but "boring" to drive

Planning to buy one by July 2024. Please give me your insights on which one is the best as well as pros and cons if meron po. Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i have a 2003 altis.
    matibay, maraming piyezas, walang sorpresa, and reliable to drive,
    but at 5'6", i find the driver's seating a bit cramped.
    and oh! 8 km/li on the city, on a good day.
    not for sale, po. FYI lang.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    buy 2000's car. HUGE improvement in safety over 90's cars. in fact today's cars are pretty much the same as the 2000's (EPS, obd2, etc) except for tablet screens and ADAS

jazz. best small car of all time

4. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SelraBeats View Post

BMW E36 320i - 110K - 200K
    -> According sa isang Tito, Hindi daw gaano kataas ung maintenance nya. Reliable naman daw and OA lang daw yung nagsasabi ng tig 100k+ ang maintenance nya

Had a very bad experience with an E36 316i: AC is poor, hassle yung alternator, shocks are meh, interior falling apart, parts are overpriced, and many more. It is definitely not worth buying used.

Totoo nga na OA yung 100k+ maintenance, pero kung machambahan ka ng masamang unit, aabot sa 100k ang ipapaayos mo in the first 6 months. Nanganganak ng sakit yang kotseng yan, di worth it yung badge. There's a reason why E36's are cheap compared to the Mercs of the same era.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    I wouldnt get the BMW, its the hardest to maintain and the most difficult to liquidate in the future. The Corolla and Civic are good choices but you could prioritize looking for a Civic since you find the Corolla to be boring.

I cant think of a good 2000s car at under 150k. You can find a Ford Fiesta for 150-200 but that is a bad idea.
    Last edited by viper888; March 18th, 2024 at 11:51 AM.