New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    And using that to push a body weighing just over 1000kg???

The previous gen Jazz with the lower trim 1.3L AT makes 100hp feels lethargic and slow to respond.
    With my Vios 1.3, I've kept pace with a 2.4L Vitara that had 160+ hp from 60-170 kph. Both cars flat out.

It was also easily quicker than a 108 hp Accent 1.4. Both cars flat out again.

And with typical NLEX traffic where you can't really maintain 160 kph for long stretches, it easily keeps up with any car under 250 hp. Enough overtaking power to take on the 2-lane traffic on NLEX. Better braking than any PPV too, so when it comes to weaving through highway traffic, I'd feel safer with a Vios.

The only time it loses on to more powerful cars is when you're on SCTEX/TPLEX where more powerful cars can really run consistently above 180 kph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Speedlab offers power packages...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    And using that to push a body weighing just over 1000kg???

The previous gen Jazz with the lower trim 1.3L AT makes 100hp feels lethargic and slow to respond.
    i had a 1.5L jazz before, did 150-160 on it

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    With my Vios 1.3, I've kept pace with a 2.4L Vitara that had 160+ hp from 60-170 kph. Both cars flat out.

It was also easily quicker than a 108 hp Accent 1.4. Both cars flat out again.

And with typical NLEX traffic where you can't really maintain 160 kph for long stretches, it easily keeps up with any car under 250 hp. Enough overtaking power to take on the 2-lane traffic on NLEX. Better braking than any PPV too, so when it comes to weaving through highway traffic, I'd feel safer with a Vios.

The only time it loses on to more powerful cars is when you're on SCTEX/TPLEX where more powerful cars can really run consistently above 180 kph.

Usually for short stretches, acceleration is more of what people look for. There's no way a Vios will keep up with say, a Forester XT. The latter may have to slow down because of traffic ahead, allowing the Vios to close the gap. But, that's more like catching up rather than keeping up.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Speedlab offers power packages...
    Why opt for such expense when you can just pay more to get the more powerful 1.5L model or a much quicker car?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    So... If the 1.3 Vios can do all that, can the 1.5 Vios then do so much better?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Why opt for such expense when you can just pay more to get the more powerful 1.5L model or a much quicker car?
    Kanya kanyang preference yan sir.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Bugbog na naman vios dito ... hahaha.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Usually for short stretches, acceleration is more of what people look for. There's no way a Vios will keep up with say, a Forester XT. The latter may have to slow down because of traffic ahead, allowing the Vios to close the gap. But, that's more like catching up rather than keeping up.
    NLEX is nothing like your freeways in the US. Traffic isn't light enough for a Forester to pull away from a Vios. I have tried many times keeping up with more powerful cars simply because there isn't enough road to pull away before they have to brake.

Even on SCTEX, I have kept pace with a Range Rover Sport, plainly because there were other cars on the road. He was unable to overtake me from Tarlac all the way to Mabalacat The road freed up about 3km away from Mabalacat, so I topped out at 175 while the Range Rover overtook me.

However, in his eagerness to overtake, he missed the exit and I actually saw him make a full stop and back up all the way back to the off-ramp (which is dangerous). [emoji23]

Also, I noticed that most people with powerful cars just don't seem to bother with proper lane choices, which is why they end up behind slower cars driven by people more familiar with highway traffic.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    So... If the 1.3 Vios can do all that, can the 1.5 Vios then do so much better?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Not really. On NLEX, I'm not any faster now that I have an Altis instead of a Vios. Like I have always said, highway driving is much more driver-limited than car-limited.

On SCTEX/TPLEX, a more powerful car will easily overtake and top out at a higher speed, but the road isn't usually that empty.

The biggest benefit of having a more powerful car is the effortlessness of the acceleration compared to a Vios. You'd have to redline a Vios to get the same 100-140 kph acceleration of an Accord V6 that's simply cruising in 6th gear.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast