New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Hi Tsikoteers,

I'm currently thinking of buying my very first car. I decided I need it mainly for the reason of convenience and safety, not for me but for my wife and our baby. Mahilig kasi sila mamasyal! Basically the car will be used as my daily commute from home to office, and on the weekends pampasyal, and lastly for our occasional trips to our province (nueva ecija).

Now my first plan was to buy Brand New, specifically the eon, since mura at tipid pa daw sa gas. But then, I thought maybe buying 2nd hand would be wiser, since I don't need to finance it in the bank. Meaning, yung pang hulog sana namen monthly, ipon na lang namen. My budget for 2nd hand car is 100k.

So guys patulong naman. Will buying 2nd hand be wiser? Ang worry ko naman kasi sa 2nd hand e, since may kasama akong baby pag byahe, baka bigla na lang masiraan sa daan. Ayoko naman nun. Enge na din po ng suggestions nyo na 2nd hand car.

Thanks for patiently reading, have a good day!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Secondhand cars isn't without problems. You still need to allocate a budget for repairs and maintenance.

And as you are not mechanically inclined, I would recommend you push ahead with a brand new car purchase instead of buying secondhand on a budget of 100k.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Mitsubishi Mirage po Sir.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    go for brand new na lang sir, kung meron ka naman pang monthly amort, iwas sakit sa ulo na rin, at kung 100k na 2nd hand, medyo mamomroblema ka na dyan sir.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    if you have the money to buy, i suggest you get a brand new car since this will mostly be for the use of the whole family.

it's ok to have a second hand car but i assure you , you will encounter problems along the way. and as you said, you don't want any of that inconveniences. your budget for a second hand car which is 100k is a bit low. and definitely you will spend more than that whether it will be mechanical or engine expense for the 2nd hand car or aesthetics.

i have had my share of experience owning a second hand car and a brand new car (family car). owning a second hand car made me learn so much about proper maintenance and basic trouble shooting (mainly because madalas ako masiraan or bumibigay na mga pyesa dun sa lumang kotse) masakit sa ulo as bulsa pero in hindsight it is a learning experience for me.

since you said the car will usually be occupied at most by 3 passengers (you, wifey, and baby) then any car will do, including a subcompact car like the eon you initially thought of. mas tipid pa sa gas. right now, gas expense is really a consideration especially with a family man like you.

if you have more budget you can get a "bigger" car for more comfort but subcompacts these days are really good and cheap. go check and test drive different units since you, the prospective buyer, can and will only know what is the right car for you. browse the first hand experience and review of owners here at tsikot so you can have an idea of the pros and cons of each target cars that you have on your list.

goodluck and please do post here what car won your choice. always have a safe trip with your family and enjoy the weekend getaways! nakaka-adik mamasyal lalo na bago ang kotse mo

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    And as the economy is booming, this has a tickle down effect on our interest rates where banks effectively compete with one another by cutting their rates and providing the "best" deals in town.

I'm still a fan of personal fiscal discipline though. Don't avail yourself of those 5, 10, 20% DP schemes. As much as you can afford, cut down your interest expense by paying as much as you can up-front.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Kung pang-araw-araw at gagamitin ng misis at baby mo alangan ang second hand unless very well maintained. Walang presyo ang peace of mind na hindi sila masastranded o maaksidente dahil sa sasakyan. At mahirap masabi kung well maintained unless kumpleto ang records, at pasado sa inspection.

Kung ayaw mo ng brand new hanap ka ng maximum 5 years old, well maintained, kumpleto service records, na-check ng mekaniko, walang previous accidents.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Whoa! Thank you all, for your insights, appreciate it, especially remzam!

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Get a brand new car, you can afford it anyway right?

If budget does not permit you to buy a new one, there are dozens of quality 2nd hand cars out there. With a budget of 100k to 150k, im sure there is a car which would suit your needs. Go to sulit.com.ph, they have great 2nd hand cars there.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Bro, 100k is a tad low for a 2nd hand car. You'd be getting something close to twenty years old with that sort of budget. For a good 2nd hand car, I'd need to have a budget of at least 100+k and with some additional for any repairs that may need to be done. But then if you can increase your budget to around 150k, then it may be more feasible for you. At this point you can get the late 90s to early 2000s subcompact and compact sedans.

For brand new, do make sure that you will be able to pay without fail every month! I'd suggest you consider the Kia Rio and Mitsubishi Mirage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast