New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    hello there! i am thinking of selling my car (Mitsubishi MX) and buying an SUV, but i am so confused as to which one to buy! i some people say the escape is good, but expensive, together with the RAV4 and CRV, some say the suzuki grand vitara is nice also...i am SOOO CONFUSED!!! i just want to buy a really good SUV that will be worth it! i'm not into how fast it can go, as long as i will be safe in it and the it won't be jumpy then i will be happy...help!!! i know you guys know A LOT about cars!!!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, it really depends on your needs and budget.

- do you need a 4wd vehicle? if so, what possible terrain will you go up against?
    - how many people will you regularly carry? what about cargoload?
    - is safety a MUST for you?
    - how much is your budget? as you said, the escape is expensive. but compact SUVs are almost similarly priced. if you can't afford a base escape then you might not be able to afford the others too.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    first know what will be your purpose for the vehicle...kung 95% eh city driving lang ok na ang rav4 or crv. with its car-based platforms it won't go far on serious off roading trips... but if you're planning to go off roading go for the vitara or even a strada...

Wiretap_md has a vitara and ganda ng set-up nya... he goes off-roading with it

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    thank you so much for replying so soon! the reason why i posted a message here is because i hardly know anything about cars! most of the time i do only city driving, a friend told me that i should buy a 4x2 SUV and not the 4x4, safety is really a must for me, also the drive...sana smooth naman and not bumpy, my budget is aroun 1M and below, kung meron pa nga sana 900 range dyan that will be better...i just want to get my money's worth!hehehe...i was told that it will be less expensive to purchase the vehicle at the factory directly, is this true? i am choosing between the escape and rav4...nooneenooneeenooo...

5. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Test drive mo na lang silang dalawa (saka isali mo na din yung CRV since 5star safety rating nito all around).. baka magkaproblema lang sa budget for any of the three vehicles, even with a 4x2 model.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, i just hope that you can increase your budget by another 100K, that's because that's the entry mark for compact SUVs.

ok, let's say your budget is around 1.1M... here are the contenders:

Ford Escape 2.3L 4x2 (157hp)
    Mazda Tribute 2.3L 4x2 (157 hp)
    Honda CR-V 2.0L 4x2 (150hp)
    Toyota Rav4 1.8L 4x2 (145hp)
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0L

but, as you said... safety is a MUST for you... so off with those without airbags, ebd or abs... the Rav4 and Vitara... (btw, this is also my primary concern)

but, you also said that you want a smooth ride... and the CR-V isn't excatly a smooth ride... so off with it... (the Rav4's ride too is a bit on the harsh side - bordering on firm and matagtag)

so that leaves you with either the Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute... both are equipped with the same 2.3L engine...

the Escape has a smoother ride. while the Tribute handles better at the corners.

Mazda Tribute 2.3L

Ford Escape Website

of the two, I'd go with the Tribute since it has much more goodies than the Escape... like the moonroof, steering wheel mounted audio controls, side skirt with built in puddle lamp (not shown in the website)...

but if you really are tight on budget... get the Escape (cheaper by around 100-200K)... it is pity that you weren't able to avail of these vehicles when they were priced much lower, though it was powered by a 2.0L engine.

========

impulzz, the present Rav4 does not have a car-based platform. it has its own unlike the CR-V which is based on the Civic.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    brand new ba o 2nd hand ang hinahanap mo? kasi with 1.1M na budget you could buy second hand suv tulad ng pajero, land cruiser etc. kasi yung mga rav4, crv, escape and the likes mini-suv's yon. and in my opinion matataas na kotse lang sila di tulad ng mga full-sized suv in terms of performance.

i've got a RAV4-SV and it's great. but not if safety is a primary concern, kasi airbags lang meron sa kanya, saka seatbelt. no ABS/EBD.

i agree with mazdamazda's summary, pero ang masasabi ko, some people are still wary of mazda's presence in RP. if i could afford it, i'd have gotten the escape (or the tribute as they more or less look the same). also medyo gas guzzler daw ang mga Ford vehicles. pero wala naman sa criteria mo ang katipiran sa gas.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    CR-V is a safe choice; larger and more capacious than the RAV4, good engine and sound mechanicals, impressive body rigidity, high build quality, and good resale value. top ratings in crash testing.

RAV4 is one of the sportier contenders; snug cockpit and sporty styling inside and out. its image generally appeals to the younger set

Escape and Tribute are kind of like the CR-V in image and dimensions.

it would help if you could outline your criteria for choosing, medyo broad masyado yung question hehe, you'll get a multitude of answers that would only confuse you even more

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a friend told me that i should buy a 4x2 SUV and not the 4x4, safety is really a must for me
    after all the (offroad/4x4) driving clinics i've attended..
    all instructors say that it's safer to be driving a 4x4 than a 4x2 (specially when the road is slippery and wet)..
    i don't think they're being biased because we all have 4x4s.
    i hope my other classmates would help me explain this..
    i don't have much confidence in doing so..
    hahahaha

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
About to buy an mini-SUV, please help...