New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hi guys!

An acquaintance of a friend of mine is offering me his 1995 Honda Civic ESi. I don't fancy Civics that much because of its ridiculously high resale value, but this one caught my attention because it looks fresh and it only has a 55T km reading on its odometer.

Since it is a 16-year old car, then it's yearly mileage should be 3,500km/year. Do you think this is possible? Or is this tampered with?

Hope you guys can help me out cause I will be seeing this unit on Wednesday. TIA!!!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I have a 96 corolla and it only clocks at 66-67k, right now.

Probably it's possible. But take a look at the overall condition of the car first. Don't rely on the mileage itself when purchasing a car. Besides it's all numbers.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    While its possible that some cars really have ridiculously low mileage, I say that you proceed with caution, check the driver's seat, the upholstery should be intact, the shift knob and the steering wheel should still have the "grains" left on them.

Though most of the time its bogus, I can say that sometimes they can be real low mileage units. I can relate to this as my wife has an '02 CRV with only 24,000km on the clock, my mother-in-law has a '98 Civic LXI which she uses as her coding car, it only has 46,000km presently. I was able to buy a 2000 Corolla XE with 23,000km for my office about 3 years ago, I know the mileage is real coz I personally know the previous owner.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Please be reminded that it's easy to tamper that clock.

Highest reading I've seen in an ESi for sale is 495,000 for a 95 model unit.

Last edited by isa1023; February 21st, 2011 at 08:04 PM.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    grabeng baba ng mileage naman yan sir, sa tingin ko tampered yan. pero icheck mo pa din malay natin di lang talaga ginagamit

6. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    I have a 96 corolla and it only clocks at 66-67k, right now.

Probably it's possible. But take a look at the overall condition of the car first. Don't rely on the mileage itself when purchasing a car. Besides it's all numbers.
    +1 here... isang base lang naman ang mileage sa pagkuha ng mga second hand cars... year model, and condition ang pinaka mahalaga when getting a second hand car..

check mo muna ung car, try i test drive, and feel the condition.

pero in my opinion, pwedeng tampered yan.. karamihan kasi ng nagbebenta ng mga old models... tampered...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Say it's true, still mind the "replaceables" ...

Baka nga yung orig timing belt pa nakalagay jan.

Things like that (belts, pumps, metal parts etc) brittle out and rust in time, kahit bihira gamitin.

Does it look like stock?

If it's modded and the speedometer reads only up to 180 kph, I'd think twice.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    I had a '95 ESI M/T before with 56,xxx kms when we sold it back in 2006. We only took it to Subic once. It was a city car.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    I had a '95 ESI M/T before with 56,xxx kms when we sold it back in 2006. We only took it to Subic once. It was a city car.
    Pretty low mileage, swerte nung nakabili.

Did you ever get to replace anything in the engine?

(t-belt, water pump etc)

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for your inputs guys.. I hope my dad's mechanic is competent enough to see if there are any tamperings done on the car. Its interiors look fresh based on the pictures he gave me though.

95 Civic ESi with 55k++ odo reading? Possible or Tampered?