New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    sa audio setup, head unit is best to start with. A head unit that can go at any volume without distortion is the best you can get.

at a price range of 15k, you can still get clarity but don't expect too much. If you still wanna use your amp, go ahead. get a 10 inch sub kahit teac lang, and sealed box. A good seps like a/d/s na silk type tweeter with at least 100 rms. This would cost you less than 10k.

pero if you want something high end. The buhos budget muna sa head unit. then ipon for the likes of Rockford fosgate, Polk audio, Memphis audio, etc.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Well, buti nandito si red_one taking care of the car audio section of Tsikot while I was gone :D

1. Get a subwoofer and an amplifier for it. This fills up the lower-bass regions and would frankly be the most apparent upgrade for most people.
    2. Go change your amplifier.
    3. Get better speakers.
    4. Deaden.
    5. Finally change your head unit.
    (no particular order)

And if habol mo lang talaga is clarity, keep it simple: sell your Targa and V12. Get a 5k separate component set and a 5k amplifier then be done with it.
    ang ginawa ko nga po ay ganito na. di ko na kinabit ung targa

ang setup ko ay
    JBL GTO AT V12 UNG AMPLIFIER KO
    JL W3V2 UNG SUB KO 35 ANG TUNING
    jbl p660c ung separates ko

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by [archie] View Post
    sa audio setup, head unit is best to start with. A head unit that can go at any volume without distortion is the best you can get.

at a price range of 15k, you can still get clarity but don't expect too much. If you still wanna use your amp, go ahead. get a 10 inch sub kahit teac lang, and sealed box. A good seps like a/d/s na silk type tweeter with at least 100 rms. This would cost you less than 10k.

pero if you want something high end. The buhos budget muna sa head unit. then ipon for the likes of Rockford fosgate, Polk audio, Memphis audio, etc.
    Ahihihi, nahahalata na age ni Archie as Memphis Audio no longer has a distributor locally :D

Quote Originally Posted by vonvergelenriqu View Post
    ang ginawa ko nga po ay ganito na. di ko na kinabit ung targa

ang setup ko ay
    JBL GTO AT V12 UNG AMPLIFIER KO
    JL W3V2 UNG SUB KO 35 ANG TUNING
    jbl p660c ung separates ko
    Where did you get the JL Audio subwoofer? The version two has long been discontinued as since 2006 I believe. The JL subs being sold nowadays are version threes with a SRP of 13k.

Why am I saying this? If you bought that secondhand or maybe even first hand, you're probably a victim of fake products. JL Audio is well-known to have fakes in the Philippines and this was prolific especially dati sa version 2 series subs nila.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I would also follow up my post:

1. Please people, there's a difference between clarity and pagbabayo. But the ported box alone raises my eyebrows. That doesn't mean that ported won't sound good in a SQ application, but most people would go for a sealed box for linearity. This is because it's often hard to design a "good" ported box that won't add extra boom. Then again, many consumers love boom and I assume you're part of that.

2. Remember na alagaan mo gain knob ng amplifier mo. It's not a volume pot. Misuse that and you'll risk frying your speakers (as with what most newbies do).

3. Targa isn't a bad brand. In fact it's one of the largest OEM manufacturers locally. What this means is that a lot of what you hear everyday is actually targa drivers. That Sony component system you bought in 2004 before? Their speakers are Targa. Properly tuned, you'd be surprised they sound great.

4. The head unit is best to start with is generally true. However, habol mo lang sa head unit is tuning features. This is why I ALWAYS recommend getting a PROPER head unit that has time alignment and X-bands of EQ for those people who wants to enter the world of car audio in sound quality. Unfortunately, 95% of people won't believe in my advice in getting a head unit that costs 7-10k secondhand at minimum and this is the reason why 95% of you.. seriously got BS'ed by an installer into purchasing pricier items in hopes of getting better sound.

There's a reason why the sound engineer who designed the cinemas of Shangri-La Plaza drives around in a Toyota 86 with an Alpine IVE-W535BT and not some simple 2DINN head unit from Pioneer or Alpine. (In case you know him, his system sounds great even when amp-less.. basta wag lang reference levels of playing)

5. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    with your budget try to go to Jeff Tan just tell him want you want and how much your budget is I'm sure he can give you a better offer

6. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Ahihihi, nahahalata na age ni Archie as Memphis Audio no longer has a distributor locally :D

Where did you get the JL Audio subwoofer? The version two has long been discontinued as since 2006 I believe. The JL subs being sold nowadays are version threes with a SRP of 13k.

Why am I saying this? If you bought that secondhand or maybe even first hand, you're probably a victim of fake products. JL Audio is well-known to have fakes in the Philippines and this was prolific especially dati sa version 2 series subs nila.
    so ano po ba ma rerecommend nyo na sub sa akin na 12' lang? buti na lang sinabi nyo po sa akn n fake na pla mga jl ngaun d2 sa pinas, kya pla prang nag doubt ako na prang hindi maganda,

7. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    For the money, I really recommend a simple JBL GT-5. Damage would simply be around 2,000php and it's pretty versatile whether you'll be using a sealed, ported, or infinite baffle. Its motor structure alone is worthy of recommendation... so is its Fs (free-air resonance) of 29hz. That's just 3hz higher than the Fs of a 12-inch Morel Ultimo.

Again, the JBL GT5-12 also has fakes so be sure to buy from reputable shops (and no, sellers from sulit isn't what I call "reputable". A lot of them sells fakes).

8. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    *vonvergelenriqu: 12-inch

9. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    For the money, I really recommend a simple JBL GT-5. Damage would simply be around 2,000php and it's pretty versatile whether you'll be using a sealed, ported, or infinite baffle. Its motor structure alone is worthy of recommendation... so is its Fs (free-air resonance) of 29hz. That's just 3hz higher than the Fs of a 12-inch Morel Ultimo.

Again, the JBL GT5-12 also has fakes so be sure to buy from reputable shops (and no, sellers from sulit isn't what I call "reputable". A lot of them sells fakes).
    sir, kung lightning lab 1xl or lightning lab 2xl ang sub ko 12' maganda din po kaya? my nag recommend lng po eh

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vonvergelenriqu View Post
    sir, kung lightning lab 1xl or lightning lab 2xl ang sub ko 12' maganda din po kaya? my nag recommend lng po eh
    The thing about subwoofers is that there's really not much that can differentiate them. Isa lang naman gagawin mo eh - reproduction of the low frequency sounds. Physical-wise, you'll be looking at the motor structure. The bigger and badder the magnet and motor structure/basket is, the better it is.

Well, I know a couple of peeps who uses Lightning Lab drivers (raws and subwoofers) and are actually sponsored by LL. Sabi naman nila the performance is good for the money naman. Company profile wise, LL is pretty much like a re-brander. They import Chinese stuff, tests them for quality control, then simply repackages and rebrands them as their own. This is why you see LL everywhere from capacitors, speakers, amplifiers, wires, etc. Whether that's good or not is simply up in the air -- I'm not in a position to judge companies.

A more reputable re-brander is Sonus which is our home-grown car audio brand. It's the brainchild of the Philippines' largest car audio shops - JC Car Audio, BluePrint, and Mickey's Autosounds (to a certain extent I believe). What they do is dictate their "components" and have an OEM manufacturer in China to churn out the products. Does it mean they're inferior? No. I actually highly recommend their Sonus Enigma amplifiers at the 16k price point.

Remember that in the industry, 95% of the people judge with their eyes. Just seeing an expensive brand like Harman's JBL would sometimes affect the perception of a person that this must sound "better" and a lot of the people in the industry equate more expensive = better (although the truth is, that's not necessarily the case). Sound is hard to judge.. it's subjective, after all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
What do i need?