New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    mga pare,

I need your advice and recomendations on setting up a mobile office inside my vehicle. What I plan to do is fit a laptop alongside a portable printer inside a SUV.. any other suggestions?

For internet, I plan to use my cellphone as a modem to connect to the net. as for other techie stuff, medyo malabo nako dun.. what other hardware can you guys recommend? planning to use this kasi sa Batangas-Laguna area and I really need the convenience of a mobile office.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    buy an inverter, a larger one that can handle up to 200 or 400 watts, make sure u have a capable 12v line to power the inverter. then u can run almost anything na including laptops, printers, TVs, ps2 etc

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    use wireless networking:

for bluetooth:
    I would assume that you had this setup already with a bluetooth-enabled laptop & cellphone. why not look for a bluetooth printer, I think HP has one, though i'm not sure if it's portable. the advantage of this you can just put your printer anywhere inside the car (or at the back of the suv, suv's have 12v adaptors at the back d'ba)

if you insist on a portable printer,
    buy the wireless d-link hub/router with a print server. connect your printer with the d-link router and place it anywhere inside your car. Now, this is the catch: the d-link router is a dsl router. since you're gonna use your phone as internet connection, you wont need the d-link dsl router feature. (I only suggested this bec. this is the cheapest wireless router in the market with built-in print server).

if your laptop is wifi-enabled as well as bluetooth enabled. use your bluetooth as you normally use it connecting to your phone internet. then use the wifi to connect to the d-link and you have a wireless "car" network.

one advantage of this wifi-system is that when you park at wi-fi enabled zones like coffee shops & restaurant, just buy a wifi card, scan the air, input your card password and then surf and print. hehehe

another advantage is if you want to impress a girl friend who happens to also own a car and a wifi laptop, tell her to park near you and connect to your "wireless car network" and let her print to your printer. now, that's extra service hehehe
    Last edited by oldblue; May 23rd, 2005 at 02:10 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    hey thanks for the suggestions... I'd like to add more toys for the Mobile Office and going wireless is definitely interesting as well as its advantages hehehe.

Nearest base ng Office ko is in Cabuyao, Laguna. But I'll be definitely mobile and move around the Batangas area too that's why I'm setting up this Mobile Office / Ride. Hmmm.. Wi-Fi Ride... I like that!
    Last edited by chain; May 23rd, 2005 at 02:20 PM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    If you're within the coverage of wirless providers when you're inside your mobile office or you would operate mostly in these tpes, you can go wireless. However, if you would be on trips, go for the mobile phone often. You would just need a USB mobile phone adapter. Easy enough to buy (unit dependent).

For the printer, the best portable printer is the HP DeskJet 450. It can run on either AC or DC. The battery life is a decent 3 hours or so. I've been using for a year. This printer is USB-based and weighs less than three pounds. PPGM is quite good. So far, no complaints. I also have the bluetooth printer but it's heavier compared to to 450 and does not have batteries. The 450 is thin enough to fit inside an expandable Targus bag.

BBimmer's suggestion is the first thing you need to do: buy an inverter.

Good luck.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    The HP DeskJet 450CBi InkJet Mobile Printer has a Lithium Ion and has a small footprint. It also has a compact flash drive where you can attach (AFAIK) a compact flash bluetooth transciever. You can also use the CF slot to print pictures from your CF without connecting your printer to your computer.

If your laptop has bluetooth you are good to go. If not, you would need to purchase a bluetooth dongle for your laptop.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    kung marami kang pera, lagyan mo na rin ng fax and dedicated cellular faxline ayos

andy

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A better space saver would to get an all-on-one printer/scanner/copier/fax machine.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    get the we-roam wireless dsl of pldt ... not as fast as if you have a hard line ... but it's better than using your mobile phone ... not sure if will work in batangas though ..

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    may inverter ka na? ask ko kasi the cheapest i saw was a 100 watt unit for P3600 sa sm city carpark cyberzone. need ko din kasi for my laptop. was in singapore airport yesterday and i checked for a laptop car power kit, there is a 90 watt IC regulated unit selling for S$190 (yaiks!) meron din cheap 70 watt unregulated unit selling for S$85, mahal pa din and since unregulated e delikado for a laptop. so i will probably end up using an inverter na din. paki-post naman please where and how much you get your inverter. thanks.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Turning Vehicle into Mobile Office