New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    I want to improve the sound of my new Montero. I'm not gonna pretend that I'm audiophile or anything close to it, but the stock audio system is pretty bad. It sounds like the speakers are wrapped in thick cloth. Too muffled.:thumbdown:

I don't have the money to change the HU so I'll leave it as is. But how do I improve the sound? I can spend 10k max. 5k if possible.

Don't care about bass. Not my thing. Gunning for clarity lang.

So, the real question is how do I improve SQ with the bare minimum modifications to the stock setup?

Amp? Separates? Alone or both. Or am i completely off track?

Again, i don't expect any miracles. Just some level or personal satisfaction. Heck, my thousand peso Creative speakers at home sound better than my Montero audio. That's saying a lot.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    simple set-up, installing a good set of separates and amplifier.
    optional or to follow na lang yung sub, 10-inch sub will do.

Quote Originally Posted by bayawak boy View Post
    I want to improve the sound of my new Montero. I'm not gonna pretend that I'm audiophile or anything close to it, but the stock audio system is pretty bad. It sounds like the speakers are wrapped in thick cloth. Too muffled.:thumbdown:

I don't have the money to change the HU so I'll leave it as is. But how do I improve the sound? I can spend 10k max. 5k if possible.

Don't care about bass. Not my thing. Gunning for clarity lang.

So, the real question is how do I improve SQ with the bare minimum modifications to the stock setup?

Amp? Separates? Alone or both. Or am i completely off track?

Again, i don't expect any miracles. Just some level or personal satisfaction. Heck, my thousand peso Creative speakers at home sound better than my Montero audio. That's saying a lot.
    Just replace the original speakers and amplify it, but i think budget of 10k wouldn't be enough for that, a good seps start from 6k, coax was from 3k, hmmn, i dont think if there is an amp for 1k, i think you have at least 15k for that upgrade, our special budget meal without the sub is already at 8k without replacing the rear speakers, these way maybe your budget get along, these include, a seps, 1 4channel amp, wiring kit ang installation.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Sir bayawak boy, you can replace the speakers with a good brand. a low cost good speaker is Targa. separates or coaxials will do. then maybe you can adjust the head unit settings also. this setup will set you back a lot less than P10k. hope this helps.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The HU of the 2011 Montero Sport is integrated with the 7" touch screen. If you replace it, you will lose the ability to access gps, tire pressure, backup camera and etc. Sucks! I wanted to replace the HU as soon as I saw it.

Tsikot shop has a sweet promo for 13K. Very impressed how low they can offer sep, amp and sub including installation.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Thanks, guys! Spent almost 100k setting up my ride, mostly for mags and tires, now i'm all tapped out. Thought i could convince myself that the audio is ok but i can't handle it anymore. I do understand though that beggars can't be choosers.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Haha, no worries. Best tip I can offer is that changing from stock to aftermarket yields the best difference. Going from a 60k to a 100k sound budget yields less results (law of diminishing return talaga sa car audio).

The problem in getting an amplifier is that it adds misc. expenses like wiring, labor, etc. unless you like it DIY.

Bit of a tough decision, personally, I'd stretch the budget to something like 20k. And I do like Targa and Ryan Audio rather than A/D/S (but that's me). SQ-wise, I think the new Dominations aren't bad. Very warm off the bat though so it's not my cup of tea (I prefer detailed and dynamic) but it's proven its worth in helping having Team DSD (Dominations-Sands-Danish) win 6 trophies at the latest EMMA.

Right now, I think if you can resist knowing that your speakers isn't unleashing its full potential, get a Morel Maximo. Should set you back around 5-6k. I'd recommend a Tempo 6 at 8k but at that level, you would REALLY need an amplifier if not it'll sound just like any other 5k speaker. Then save for a decent amplifier if you want more. IMO, allocate 6k for it for a 2-channel mini amp wouldn't be bad at all (amps that are in my mind is Dominations Atoms actually.. 2x100W I believe)

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If you have 100K for wheels and tires, you should go see Mickey's Autosound. LMAO.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Nah, wheels and rims of the Monty's size (22 inchers ba yan?) and just spending 100k is sulit. Hell, those can cost more if they're of an excellent brand.

Meron naman dyan mga wheel persons and sound persons eh Like I wouldn't mind spending 150k on sounds, but I'd never even think of investing the same amount in replacing my stock wheels.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    i once used focal access on stock HU without amp.. it sounded waay better than the stock speakers on my fuego.. although kulang sobra mid range but it worked for me since the fuego was hella-noisy.. so i wasnt willing to spend a lot on it.

i think i got it for less than 10k.

is the montero noisy? maybe it would be a better "investment" to deaden the doors and/or floor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Simple Audio Setup for Montero Sport 2011