New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Hey guys, newbie here when it comes to setting up cars. Would like to ask lang if okay din ba ang sounds pag amplified sub lang (like steelmate) as compared to the real thing (i.e., hiwalay na amp and sub). I don't want to sacrifice kasi my cargo space.

TIA!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mad0307 View Post
    Hey guys, newbie here when it comes to setting up cars. Would like to ask lang if okay din ba ang sounds pag amplified sub lang (like steelmate) as compared to the real thing (i.e., hiwalay na amp and sub). I don't want to sacrifice kasi my cargo space.

TIA!
    You might want to check some low-profile subwoofers (those shouldn't take too much space but are expensive). If not, amplified subs offer a nice compromise for the need to load cargo.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    You might want to check some low-profile subwoofers (those shouldn't take too much space but are expensive). If not, amplified subs offer a nice compromise for the need to load cargo.

Hi S' jhnkvn : Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify though: what do you mean by 'low-profile' subwoofers? How come their more expensive than your usual subs?

L.A. Cars was quoting me kasi P16k package, inclusive of the ff:
    > amplified sub - Steelmate
    > seps JBL
    > coaxial speakers JBL

He said that the advantage of an amplified sub like steelmate is that it won't take much of your cargo space (i own an SUV pala). However, I'm just worried that its sound might be inferior compared to the actual sub?

Please enlighten me sir. Thanks a lot!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Low-profile subwoofers are expensive because it gives you the best of two worlds -- both sonically and dimensionally. As we know, most subwoofers are rather bulky. Trying to compress the same subwoofer while not compromising the sound it gives off demands a premium

IMO, I'd rather go for an actual subwoofer with an amplifier. Shouldn't take too much space as long as you don't buy two of them. It would probably sit on one part of your trunk. This way, it would give you the flexibility of further upgrading your sound system in the future.

Some amplified subs are placed under the driver's seat. Of course the bass doesn't reach as low as what a normal subwoofer is like, but since it's just sitting under your butt, you'll still feel the effect/vibration of the bass. And most casual users just want to hear that "thump"

Most sound enthusiasts just replace the front speakers. Replacing the back is kinda waste of money unless you spend more time sitting at the back. Since most of us are drivers, we opt to replace the front speakers and just retain the back speakers as stock.

If you really prioritize cargo space, then an amplified subwoofer is the most cost-effective way on getting those low-frequency sounds on a budget. If you're a driver, I wouldn't recommend installing JBL coaxs at the back. I'd rather use the cash for a better sounding front speakers from Morel or something. As long as it's around 5-6k, your HU should be sufficient to drive them. Just check the HU's RMS output and the speaker's RMS output just in case.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Low-profile subwoofers are expensive because it gives you the best of two worlds -- both sonically and dimensionally. As we know, most subwoofers are rather bulky. Trying to compress the same subwoofer while not compromising the sound it gives off demands a premium

IMO, I'd rather go for an actual subwoofer with an amplifier. Shouldn't take too much space as long as you don't buy two of them. It would probably sit on one part of your trunk. This way, it would give you the flexibility of further upgrading your sound system in the future.

Some amplified subs are placed under the driver's seat. Of course the bass doesn't reach as low as what a normal subwoofer is like, but since it's just sitting under your butt, you'll still feel the effect/vibration of the bass. And most casual users just want to hear that "thump"

Most sound enthusiasts just replace the front speakers. Replacing the back is kinda waste of money unless you spend more time sitting at the back. Since most of us are drivers, we opt to replace the front speakers and just retain the back speakers as stock.

If you really prioritize cargo space, then an amplified subwoofer is the most cost-effective way on getting those low-frequency sounds on a budget. If you're a driver, I wouldn't recommend installing JBL coaxs at the back. I'd rather use the cash for a better sounding front speakers from Morel or something. As long as it's around 5-6k, your HU should be sufficient to drive them. Just check the HU's RMS output and the speaker's RMS output just in case.
    Wow! Thanks for the info S' jhnkvn. Learned a lot from you.

I'm thinking of getting a separate amplifier and a sub-woofer na lang as against an amplified sub. What's a nice sub that wouldn't take as much space in the cargo area but not as expensive as the low-profile subs that you're talking about? Please recommend a good space-saving amp as well.

You're right. I'll just get a great front speakers since I'm also the one driving the car. Any suggestions?

Sorry so many questions. BTW, my budget is P20k (this is what my wife knows), but I can stretch as far as P25k for the amp, subwoofer, and the separates.

Thanks again sir!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Di na updated sa mga sound setups nowadays. So I'll have to pass on the what-I-can-recommend-part.

Since nakapagbisita ka sa L.A. Cars, I'm assuming na nasa Metro Manila ka. If then so, I believe you should at least make a trip to Banawe, Quezon City or to Jeff Tan's shop * Araneta Avenue. Banawe is famed for being a car audio mecca and both shops (Araneta Avenue is just around 10minutes drive from Banawe) give a better discount (especially sa Banawe.. agawan sila doon eh. I'd recommend C3, they're one of the best out there) compared to big names like LA Car Accessories or Mickey's Auto Sound.

I'd go for Jeff Tan. He's more accommodating in these first-time-setups than many of those in Banawe. Banawe's probably "cheaper" by a few hundreds, but it's not a very newbie-friendly place.

In fact, I'll highly recommend it after a bit of chit-chat, your car sound audio knowledge would probably quadruple

A rough spend sheet would probably be:
    Separates -> 5k (Morels come into mind)
    Amplifier -> 9k (a JBL/SoundMagus/RF comes into mind 4-ch)
    Subwoofer -> ??? (ewan ko kung ano yun space-saving. I'd suggest a Kicker or a JL Audio sub)

As for the subwoofer, you'll probably end up with two choices: a 10 inch one or a 12 incher. Go check their dimensions and choose the one you believe suits you most. Don't forget the box ;)
    I prioritized the amplifier first rather than the separates. This way you have much headroom for sound upgrades if need be.

Good luck on the project!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Thanks sir! I'll visit those shops that you mentioned soon. Regards.

Di na updated sa mga sound setups nowadays. So I'll have to pass on the what-I-can-recommend-part.

Since nakapagbisita ka sa L.A. Cars, I'm assuming na nasa Metro Manila ka. If then so, I believe you should at least make a trip to Banawe, Quezon City or to Jeff Tan's shop * Araneta Avenue. Banawe is famed for being a car audio mecca and both shops (Araneta Avenue is just around 10minutes drive from Banawe) give a better discount (especially sa Banawe.. agawan sila doon eh. I'd recommend C3, they're one of the best out there) compared to big names like LA Car Accessories or Mickey's Auto Sound.

I'd go for Jeff Tan. He's more accommodating in these first-time-setups than many of those in Banawe. Banawe's probably "cheaper" by a few hundreds, but it's not a very newbie-friendly place.

In fact, I'll highly recommend it after a bit of chit-chat, your car sound audio knowledge would probably quadruple

A rough spend sheet would probably be:
    Separates -> 5k (Morels come into mind)
    Amplifier -> 9k (a JBL/SoundMagus/RF comes into mind 4-ch)
    Subwoofer -> ??? (ewan ko kung ano yun space-saving. I'd suggest a Kicker or a JL Audio sub)

As for the subwoofer, you'll probably end up with two choices: a 10 inch one or a 12 incher. Go check their dimensions and choose the one you believe suits you most. Don't forget the box ;)
    I prioritized the amplifier first rather than the separates. This way you have much headroom for sound upgrades if need be.

Good luck on the project!

NEWBIE QUESTION: Ok ba ang amplified sub?