New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Is there any audible difference between connecting to the HU using lineout converter from the speaker out vs. direct line-level?

Nung nag-upgrade ako from entry-level amp (DLS Classic series) to high-end amp (DLS Ultimate A1), I still don't fully understand why the installer has put lineout converter between my HU (Kenwood DDX8034) and my line-level wire, whereas the HU has a direct line-level output.

Was there any benefit why he chose to do this? He said that the 5V line-level output of my HU is "not good enough". If I understood correctly, he was saying that the LOC is to improve the line-level signal so he doesn't have to turn up the gain on the amp too high, given that the amp is a small one (but surprisingly it can go LOUD without distorting nor getting hot).

I can't compare the LOC vs. direct lineout without pulling out the headunit which is quite tedious, so I would like your opinions. Would the LOC likely have improved the sound, or made it worse (coz the signal has to go through the internal amp of the HU)? I'm not saying the SQ now is bad, in fact it's much better than with my previous entry-level amp. But I honestly don't know, maybe this higher-quality amp has even more to give than what I'm hearing now.

Kindly enlighten me.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gwapster View Post
    Is there any audible difference between connecting to the HU using lineout converter from the speaker out vs. direct line-level?

Nung nag-upgrade ako from entry-level amp (DLS Classic series) to high-end amp (DLS Ultimate A1), I still don't fully understand why the installer has put lineout converter between my HU (Kenwood DDX8034) and my line-level wire, whereas the HU has a direct line-level output.

Was there any benefit why he chose to do this? He said that the 5V line-level output of my HU is "not good enough". If I understood correctly, he was saying that the LOC is to improve the line-level signal so he doesn't have to turn up the gain on the amp too high, given that the amp is a small one (but surprisingly it can go LOUD without distorting nor getting hot).

I can't compare the LOC vs. direct lineout without pulling out the headunit which is quite tedious, so I would like your opinions. Would the LOC likely have improved the sound, or made it worse (coz the signal has to go through the internal amp of the HU)? I'm not saying the SQ now is bad, in fact it's much better than with my previous entry-level amp. But I honestly don't know, maybe this higher-quality amp has even more to give than what I'm hearing now.

Kindly enlighten me.
    Your installer is a moron. If your H/U has a RCA out he doesnt need to use a line output converter cause its already in there. The only time to use a converter is when a H/U dont have RCA out. Now the 5V rating on the H/U hes talking about is the "Preamp Output Voltage". Meaning the higher preamp Output voltage can mean better sound from your external amplifier like a Signal to Noise Ratio. Go back to your installer. No dont go back to that moron find someplace else that really understand about installing in advance set up and have theme remove that converter.

What is a Converter? Do you really need one if one has already been built? C'mon take heed!

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Sorry I haven't updated this thread sooner, but I already had the LOC removed. When the concept of LOC was new to me, I trusted the installer because this shop is a very reputable one and they made their name in competitions already. But anyway, it's not my intention to diss them here for whatever reason they installed the LOC.

Line Out Converter (LOC) vs. Direct Line-Level Output