New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    I'm planning to make DIY project for my wife's 2013 Hyundai Accent sedan to improve it's sound quality. For the set-up, my plan is not to put more additional weight like amplifiers, sub woofer etc. Just a simple upgrade to good quality 2 DIN Head Unit and nice sounding separates. It has 4 stock speakers installed on four doors, which I don't know the size, maybe 4 incher only. I want a Sound Quality set up for that car and good sounding bass . I don't want to shell out more than 40K for that, is this possible? Please Help...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    start with a 2DIN HU and separates for the front. you can keep the rear speakers. assuming Pioneer 2DIN HU + Pioneer 6.5" separates, you will spend around P20k including installation na.

some brands are more expensive than others so if you go with an exotic brand, expect to pay more.

since this is for wife's car, is she really into audio? if current sound setup is decent enough for her, why upgrade? unless you also use her car regularly.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    My wife is I can say is into audio already siguro kasi nahawa na rin sakin coz I'm a bit an audiophile. Even at home, I used to build my own sound system and not buying the whole package. Even my car sound set up was done by myself for LnC purposes. Because her car got only stock components, sound is too basic and lacking. Parang kapag nasanay ka nang manood ng mga high definition videos in Full HD screen, hahahanap-hanapin mo and you would not want watching less than that. I would like to set up her car sound system in a simple way and looks stock inside since she used to be listening RnB's, Pop etc. I have not tried installing without any amplifier and other add ons, will it suffice?

I'm eyeing to buy a 2 DIN Pioneer Model: AVHX5500BHS with 50Wx4 RMS here in abroad or kung meron satin at mas mura, dyan na lang ako bibili. May mga features na di ko naman magagamit sa Pinas kaya siguro medyo mahal ng konti sa ibang line up ng Pioneer. What seps you think will match that unit to meet my requirements? And the 2 speakers mounted on 2 rear doors, can that be used to put a 6 inch as a sub or mid bass for a good sounding bass?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    double post

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    if you are ok with the current setup and just wanting a little bass, how about just adding a powered sub? it might be a cheaper option.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Truthfully, the best budget 15k SQ I've heard will be on a secondhand 9887 + 5,000php speakers on active configuration with a 50hz cutoff on the midbass

SQ by itself compromises of three criterias. Sadly, most of us simply think of it as having good tonality. But it compromises of three things: imaging, staging, and tonality. Unless you plan on throwing a DSP, you can kiss imaging and staging goodbye. But in doing so, you'll be spending a lot more even if you go for a "budget" build.

So my recommendation will be quite simple on a 40,000php budget:
    - Head unit (20k)
    - Speakers (5k)
    - Amplifier (10k)
    - Subwoofer (5k)

Then extend a bit more for wirings,deadening, and other miscellaneous stuff. If you can get "packages", all the more better so you know what to budget for.

Your aim is to cover the entire sound frequency spectrum. From 40hz to 16khz. Your separates will handle the 80hz upwards while your subwoofer fills in the lows. Through experience, I would say your most immediate jump will be the speaker change.. and the inclusion of the subwoofer -- because nobody really hates bass.

If you're in need of trunk space, just make a small box. Even a 0.7-1cu.ft sealed box will sound better than an underseat subwoofer.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Truthfully, the best budget 15k SQ I've heard will be on a secondhand 9887 + 5,000php speakers on active configuration with a 50hz cutoff on the midbass

SQ by itself compromises of three criterias. Sadly, most of us simply think of it as having good tonality. But it compromises of three things: imaging, staging, and tonality. Unless you plan on throwing a DSP, you can kiss imaging and staging goodbye. But in doing so, you'll be spending a lot more even if you go for a "budget" build.

So my recommendation will be quite simple on a 40,000php budget:
    - Head unit (20k)
    - Speakers (5k)
    - Amplifier (10k)
    - Subwoofer (5k)

Then extend a bit more for wirings,deadening, and other miscellaneous stuff. If you can get "packages", all the more better so you know what to budget for.

Your aim is to cover the entire sound frequency spectrum. From 40hz to 16khz. Your separates will handle the 80hz upwards while your subwoofer fills in the lows. Through experience, I would say your most immediate jump will be the speaker change.. and the inclusion of the subwoofer -- because nobody really hates bass.

If you're in need of trunk space, just make a small box. Even a 0.7-1cu.ft sealed box will sound better than an underseat subwoofer.
    Yes that's what I wanted for that sound set up, a complete sound spectrum and hear what should be the outcome. Sadly, I still need an amplifier and a sub box in the trunk to make the job done, which makes her car a little bit hardcore... :-) I was thinking maybe what I want can be remedied by a good 2 DIN car stereo, good separates and another good midbass on the rear plus deadening the doors. I was also actually searching for underseat sub reviews, but some say, that it's like having none at all and really pathetic. I don't know how they sound like, since, it's only mounted on a tight box, having difficulty to breath and perform. How about the 2 speaker mounted on rear doors, what should I do with them if let say I have separates on the front, disconnect them or install mid bass speaker?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Won't happen. With rear speakers, you can reinforce the midbass output by a couple of decibels but that's it. Unless you do something about your passive crossover's filter of the typical 80hz, you won't hear anything much below that.

My personal take is that unless you can cover 50hz with enough output, you'll still need a subwoofer for your low-end duties.

Since you're a bit more advanced in your audio than our typical newbies, this is what I'll recommend if you want a no-frills idea: just get 2-DIN head unit and wire the speakers without the passive crossover. Then cross your midbass lower than 80hz. Something like 63hz with a EQ boost on the 50-60hz will do nicely.

For protection, tell your installer to install a capacitor on the tweeter. This is for precaution in case a full-signal gets blasted to it. The passive filtering of the crossover will make sure you won't end up with a fried tweeter. Something like 33uF cap is enough. And since you're crossing it lower, your cone travel will be longer.. so don't pump up the volume. Then again, you won't have enough juice on tap to really pump up the volume so... yeah, this is a feasible route.

Still, I recommend completing the sound spectrum first. If you're not that fussy about head units, then buy something cheaper.. like a 1DIN head unit and use the spare to cover the budget.

Something like the 19,000php Dominations Buddy package isn't bad truthfully since it comes with wirings, "free" deadening, and a subwoofer box: https://www.facebook.com/mach2audio/...type=3&theater

But madami din naman mga ganyan packages around Banawe if you wanna know. A lot of them simply mix and match after all. Firland, Targa, Ryan Audio, etc.

P.S. For the rear speakers, if you have enough channels.. well there's not much of problem having them play. You can always use the head unit's fader settings if you want to "mute" them anyway. I will suggest leaving them stock and using the funds for something else.

P.S. #2 If you're near Banawe or QC area, PM me if you want an audition on what SQ in car audio has to offer ;) although I'm not fully tuned right now (kinda messed with settings and all), it's still very much presentable as a competition car.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    So what I'll do is to buy head unit here as a start since a good 2 DIN head unit is a bit more expensive there. It's also offers more adjustments and a 4 volts output just in case the need for amplifier really needed to meet my demand. All the rest of the equipment will be purchased sa Pinas para malaman na rin kung ano bagay sa kanyang set-up. Maybe I could stretch a bit more budget on my planned set up if needed kasi pwede naman :-) Sometimes, I came to think that this little addiction of mine to good sounding sound system cost me some of my hard earned money :-D Even at home, my set up already cost around 350k, but that is ok, satisfied naman ako. But that set up cost nothing compared to those who got deep pockets and hard cored Audiophiles.

On my vacation, I'll visit one shop in banawe for audition. Maybe I will have no time doing the project on my own since I got only a month and will be busy with many things. I,m kinda intrigued with the Dominations brand of audio equipments as you mentioned them in your previous post. Sounding good as you say, I'll give it a try para maiba naman sa mga nakasanayang brand. Any good shops you can recommend na ok?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Sa Banawe,

For some reason, I'm really liking the work on Miko's AutoIntensity lately.

Aside from him, the usual shops of Nogs' Candyshop which churns out ICE installs day by day is also well-known... neighboring JetCar also does good installs. In Araneta Avenue, there's Jeff Tan's Araneta Car Accessories. Truthfully, madami sa Banawe ang gumagawa ng installs.. I'd say pick your choice nalang on which shop owner "pleases" you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast