New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2012
    Hai Guys
    I am new and learner of car audio.i wish to set a 5.1 in my Innova car.Pls guide some tips
    which hu pioneer or alpine
    which processor pioneer or alpine
    i saw WD media player used by Karti in his thread,is it possible to use in my set up too guys guide me

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Being new to this, I'd first say this: setting up your car in-car entertainment system is terribly inefficient. As with most newbies, I find most of them to underestimate how much this hobby will take a toll on your bank account. Continuing on, why 5.1? What is your reasons for wanting 5.1 sa car? What is your ultimate goal? If you got inspired by Stephen's Karty, that's expected. However, 99.8% of people I know won't be emulating his install once you've seen the price tag it entails.

How much is the budget? That's the first and foremost importance. Stephen's "Karty" 2.1/5.1 mobile entertainment setup costs around a million, yes... that is 6 zeros and a one at the beginning.. once you add the total costs up and for most of us that's a price that's hard to swallow. Personally, I wouldn't attempt a 5.1 mobile SQ system unless you have AT LEAST a 200k budget.

If you do not have that amount, you can stop reading this post. It is sad but if you really want a 5.1 setup, I would recommend you to pursue a 5.1 home theatre setup instead. That will be a more efficient use of cash for the performance it gives out.

For the head unit, you'd be looking for one with a monitor obviously. Most prefer Alpines because, in 90% of the cases, your processor will be an Alpine too so to avoid compatibility issues, go Alpine. Karty uses the pop-up monitor type because he needs the 1DIN space in which he has a Pioneer P99RS as he uses that to compete in 2.1 EMMA Multimedia SQ competitions. For you, a 2DIN HU would work as pop-up types are usually more expensive.

The most important part of the 5.1 is obviously the processor. You'd be looking at two "usual" units: the H701 and the brand-new H800. Stephen uses the H701 on the premise of more digital inputs, if memory serves right, although he was lining up for the H800 when it was first introduced locally. Take note that the H800 + Alpine controller alone amounts up to Php40,000

For the speakers, the most important speaker is... the center speakers. You can opt to not spend too much on the front separates or the rear but the center is the "centerpiece" of the 5.1 system. It's where most of the sounds come from. The chain is really simple: Head unit -> Processor -> Amplifier -> Speakers

Most of the money will go to just two wallet-sucking criteria: equipments and fabrication (especially if you're not DIY). In most cases, it's the fabrication that takes a huge "unexplained" toll on the wallet. You'd want to put in a center speaker.. who'll be doing the chop-chop on the dashboard? If that isn't YOU (DIY), expect installers to charge a huge amount.

And with the entire electrical load, you'd be upgrading your electrical system too. First difference is your stock alternator. If you want to throw in a bunch of TVs just like Karty, you'd definitely be upgrading your alternator to HA (high ampere) alternators. The price? 30k~ish. If your only monitor is the tiny-ish monitor of the head unit, your stock alternator MIGHT pass as I got no idea what your stock amperes is (definitely lower than that of a MS) nor your electrical load. In either case, you'd definitely be upgrading your battery, that'll be around Php12k and a Big Three upgrade using 4GA wires, Php2k.
    Last edited by jhnkvn; May 6th, 2012 at 09:05 PM.

3. Join Date
    May 2012
    Hello Sir
    Thanks for Your kind reply Sir.Thanks for Your kind advice too.Can You help me to connect the media player to a 5.1 set up.if we connect the optical output of media player to sound processor`s input whether it will give 5.1 output Sir?not means pls help me to connect.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    It would. Assuming the media player's playing 5.1 sound. This would be decoded by the sound processor (warn that not all processors have decoders!) then sent out to the speakers as 5.1

5.1 set up for innova