New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    These facts are for real with documents to back it up. A brand new BMW was bought at a dealer in Mandaluyong. The car was supposed to be a birthday gift to the wifey. Just for the hgeck of it, he drives it around first before handing the keys to the wifey.

The car stalled, everything just shut down and had to be pulled back to the casa. He now wants the car replaced, but the dealer refuses saying they do not do that, but offered an extended warranty.

Adamant, the aggrieved owner insisted on having the car relaced because is wie was expecting a BMW, the brand speaks for itself here, still the dealer refused and then offered a longer term of warranty.

It is now in a stalemate and the car just sits there. The question here is, where is the protection for consumers when we get to buy lemons like these? DO we simply suffer and whimper at our fate from the few bad dealers in town?

There is a law for this. Does the dealer wish to go that path and tarnish the good name of the BMW brand because they refuse to admit to a lemon?

Because a car staling and shutting down a less than 200 km for me is a lemon?

I ask you guys, correct me if I am wrong.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    This is just my opinion. Please accept it as such.

A "lemon" is a car that has all sorts of things wrong...over a period of time...so as to be very unreliable and unsatisfactory. To be called a "lemon" means that it is not up to the usual customer standards and/or experiences for that particular model.

I think the vehicle you are referring to is one which has a "problem" which the dealer must address under the terms of the warranty.

The fact that the dealer is providing extra warranty speaks well for the casa. I would recommend this dealer as being one who goes beyond the ordinary.

Without wanting to sound sarcastic, asking for a replacement vehicle is too much to ask for. After all, we are not talking about a pair of shoes or a karaoke machine here.

I know you are upset, and I sympatize with you, but, wait to see what the opinions of your peers are.

You were wise to post this topic.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    The BMW dealers I know of are Autohaus Libis, Prestige Makati, Autozentrum Alabang, and Premier San Fernando. You might want to share the name of the Mandaluyong dealership.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Well, BMW and MB are overhyped IMO. They should try other brands like Porsche, Audi, and Lexus.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    d kaya gray unit yan?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    BMW quality and consumer satisfactory rating gets lower and lower every year... i even dont know what so great about bmw...
    get lexus, audi or porsche much better interior and satisfactory rating

BTT: i think units cannot be replaced once the title of the car is transferred to the seller, just bad luck to get a lemon considering the small ratio.

**** happens

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    What was wrong with the car, according to the dealer?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Unfortunately these things happen. I had a 1-month old 135i stall and die (the dreaded fuel pump issue), and a 1-day old M3 throw a check engine fault! Both times the dealer fixed the problem at no cost to me other than my time.

I agree with you that these things should not happen, but cars do break down and that's what we have warranties for. You are not going to get a new car, and that offer of an extended warranty is very generous indeed - I wish that was offered to me!

BTW, the 135 had to have it's fuel pump adjusted again and then ran without a single problem for 3 more years. The M3, only time will tell ;)

at the end of the day, I guess I could buy a Lexus that is supposedly more reliable, but I simply dislike their cars and the way they drive.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pogitalaga View Post
    There is a law for this. Does the dealer wish to go that path and tarnish the good name of the BMW brand because they refuse to admit to a lemon?

Because a car staling and shutting down a less than 200 km for me is a lemon?

I ask you guys, correct me if I am wrong.
    Well, two things. As far as I know, there is still no lemon law in the Philippines. There's a proposal for one but it is yet to be ratified by congress.

Second; By definition, a lemon car would have the same, persistent problem over a relatively short period of time. So, no. Your friend can't say it's a lemon. Warranty should cover it.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sachiel View Post
    Well, BMW and MB are overhyped IMO. They should try other brands like Porsche, Audi, and Lexus.
    I beg to disagree. Porsche is probably better but they cater to a different market. Audi? That is overhyped and overpriced. Driving pleasure is not the same as BMW or Benz. As for Lexus, it's just Toyota with a different brand and a higher price tag. :P

As for the Lemon, no that does not qualify as a lemon. As mentioned earlier, it should be covered by warranty. =) It sucks that it happened but it does happen. =)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Consumer Issue BMW